Winter Olympics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Winter Olympics
Love, love, llooooooovvvvveeee the Olympics! So pumped, I've been counting down.

I love how some countries bring an army (ahem, Canada Heart ) and others are so proud of their one or few members, they are just brimming with excitement, as they should be.

I love the individual stories and journey's. I feel the whole event really brings the world together in a way like no other, a chance to reflect every few years, bring to light our individuality and commonalities. Amazing.

I also appreciate how much human truth comes to light, some true colours. Some kindness between athletes... in pressured moments there have been times they give it all up to help a competitor across finish lines, they acknowledge publicly their respect and celebration. Or the ugly side such as two well known figure skaters breaking knees or athletes making the unfortunate choices of using drugs instead of fair competition. The rich history, the competition, the dedication... this all highlights the imperfect but beautiful human spirit. It would be a shame if Olympics discontinued. I would really miss it.

I get sooo caught up watching the events. Of course, some more than others. It's breathtaking for me. I've already cried 5 times this year. But that's probs because I am pregnant and Olympic commercials (esp paralympic) get me in the strings. Heart God damn. I'm so excited for these few weeks. I wish I was there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
09-02-2018, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 09:34 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(09-02-2018 09:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Whoa! A commercial for the Church of Scientology during the opening ceremonies. Kim Jung Un is sneakier than we thought!

It really made me think of the anime Ghost in the Shell. Granted that's a Japanese anime, not South Korean, but that bit with the languages and words being sucked up in data streams was very much the style of cyberpunk that show enjoys. Smile

(09-02-2018 09:15 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I missed the US coming in because I had to mom for a bit. One child can't sleep Sad

Pence didn't stand at all? What an ass.
Not for Unified Korean team. Sad Sorry you missed our team come in, it was pretty neat to see them so excited.

(09-02-2018 09:17 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  *snip*

Minus the being pregnant part, all of this! The future tech section pulled on my heartstrings more than anticipated, seeing it being used to teach children, to help heal people of brain issues we can't now, and to make the world a better place in general, just like the Games tend to be about.

Edit: oh snap, President of the IOC talking about respect and not doping.

Edit2: That. Was. Awesome. The. Pinwheel. Fireworks. That. Kept. Exploding. In. Motion. Also this is so touching, the kids with the candles for peace to help the process of lighting up these doves for peace, while Imagine is sung. Must admit to tearing up for a second time tonight.

Edit3: Amazing use of drones to create 3D light art.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Excellent song choice w/ Imagine.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
09-02-2018, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 09:56 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Showcasing the unified hockey team and the continued pleas for peace and cooperation, two hockey players of the unified Korean hockey team, one North, one South, run up the ramp together with the flame and hand it off to Yuna Kim, gold medalist figure skater, to light the Olympic Cauldron. Still, even with that handoff, what powerful imagery. And wow at the extending pillar of flame thing from the ice crystal setup below to light the Cauldron itself, which will now burn throughout the rest of this Winter Olympiad.

May we continue to live up to the Olympic spirit, one that calls for us to settle our differences not through force of arms, but through competition of sport. A world brought together for a peaceful exchange; one which unites us the human race, and leaves our petty differences at the door. For if these games should do anything it is remind us of our common humanity.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-02-2018, 09:51 PM
O. M. G.

Most dramatic moment of the night...North Korean athlete just took gold in the 100 meter bayonet charge.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
10-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Watching the Luge..

Yeah, just nope...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-02-2018, 05:55 PM
(10-02-2018 03:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Watching the Luge..

Yeah, just nope...

You know what they call the third guy in a four man bobsled team?

An athlete.

You know what I call the son of a bitch??

Cargo.

Smile

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
10-02-2018, 07:34 PM
I've taken a liking to the Short Track competition. Those people are crazy. I watched the relay Short Track and it was wild stuff. Here's the gal I'm hoping makes a good showing. She's such a joyful person with a fun personality with the unusal name of Maame Biney. I'm watching her right now! You go girl!!

[Image: image?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Fw...;amp;h=560]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-02-2018, 07:46 PM
(10-02-2018 07:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've taken a liking to the Short Track competition. Those people are crazy. I watched the relay Short Track and it was wild stuff. Here's the gal I'm hoping makes a good showing. She's such a joyful person with a fun personality with the unusal name of Maame Biney. I'm watching her right now! You go girl!!

She’s fast!

But yeah I watch that and think just wow.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-02-2018, 08:00 PM
(10-02-2018 07:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 07:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've taken a liking to the Short Track competition. Those people are crazy. I watched the relay Short Track and it was wild stuff. Here's the gal I'm hoping makes a good showing. She's such a joyful person with a fun personality with the unusal name of Maame Biney. I'm watching her right now! You go girl!!

She’s fast!

But yeah I watch that and think just wow.

I never learned how to roller skate much less ice skate. My parents got me a pair of roller skates from the Goodwill when I was about 6 but we lived up in the mountains and out in the sticks with dirt roads. Where was I going to roller skate, huh? What the hell were they thinking? Huh

So I'm amazed that people can glide across the ice on skinny metal blades and then jump and spin and do all that. Wow.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post