Wisconsin Jewelery store racial profiling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Wisconsin Jewelery store racial profiling
Man this stuff bums me out.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/10/27/9...rimination

The gist of the story is:
-John Henson, 24 yr old (African American) professional basketball player calls a Jewelery Store (JS) Friday to ask what time they close.

-JS worker calls the cops and says she received a suspicious phone call from somebody who doesn't sound like a legitimate customer.

-They didn't let him in on Friday, took note of his car's plates, and thought they were stolen because they were dealer plates (apparently he received the car for some endorsement deal). Cops say call them if he returns.

-Monday he comes back and again they shut down the store and don't let him in. They call the cops and they come and eventually it all gets resolved.

John Henson's words:
Quote:Went to @schwankekasten jewelry today in White-Fish Bay during regular business hours . They locked the door and told me to go away . After I rang the doorbell twice everyone went to the back. No answered the door or told me what was going on. This was followed by two police cars pulling up and parking across the street and watching me for 5 minutes ( I assumed they were called by the store ) . I was then approached by 2 officers and questioned about the dealer vehicle I was in which is apart of my endorsement deal with Kunes country Chevrolet and asked me what I wanted amongst other things that were just irrelevant to me being there just trying to shop at the store like a normal paying customer would do . I told them I was just trying to look at a watch. He then had to go in the back and tell them to come out it was safe but this is after they ran my plates and I overheard them talking about doing more of a background check on the car. The employees finally came out of the back and proceeded to conduct business like they previously were as we walked up . This was one of the the most degrading and racially prejudice things I've ever experienced in life and wouldn't wish this on anyone . This store needs to be called out and that's what I'm doing . You have no right to profile someone because of their race and nationality and this incident needs to be brought to light and I urge anyone who ever is thinking of shopping here reads this and doesn't bring any business to this discriminatory place.

The full 911 call recording is in the link above.

I've experienced stuff like this, though not this bad. It just makes me sad.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 04:26 PM
RE: Wisconsin Jewelery store racial profiling
I'd "like" your post, but there isn't much to like there. It is total crap what happens out in the world.
My niece's boyfriend fears for his life sometimes. It makes me ill.
27-10-2015, 05:12 PM
(27-10-2015 04:26 PM)skyking Wrote:  I'd "like" your post, but there isn't much to like there. It is total crap what happens out in the world.
My niece's boyfriend fears for his life sometimes. It makes me ill.
Yeah I was thinking...it's so easy for a misunderstanding to turn into a shot fired. If something ambiguous had happened that led to the perception of danger to the cops, this could have ended tragically.

27-10-2015, 07:47 PM
You know this store has black employees right?

The cops were the ones who made them believe these could be the same group that robbed them in the past. The cops said, hey we can't verify the owner of the vehicle, it could be stolen, call us back if they return. They've been repeatedly robbed. It's called being cautious, not racist.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
27-10-2015, 07:57 PM
You know shows like Scare Tactics? Where they play jokes on people to try and scare 'em!

I'd like to see a show dedicated to tricking middle aged to older white folks into thinking they just got locked out of a store owned by dark skinned people, then being harrassed by African American police officers called on 'em. Just to see the reaction on their face when they're told they got harrassed (and possibly arrested and placed in the back of a squad car) cause a white guy robbed the place last week.

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
27-10-2015, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 08:10 PM by Adrianime.)
(27-10-2015 07:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You know this store has black employees right?

The cops were the ones who made them believe these could be the same group that robbed them in the past. The cops said, hey we can't verify the owner of the vehicle, it could be stolen, call us back if they return. They've been repeatedly robbed. It's called being cautious, not racist.
Racial profiling =/= Racism

edit: Maybe by definition it actually is, but I wasn't implying that anybody was a "racist".

And it was the employees who called the cops because they thought the voice of the person over the phone didn't sound like a "legitimate customer". This was before the cops said anything about the vehicle.

28-10-2015, 05:43 AM
I worked at a gun shop years ago - and I had two customers that would travel all the way from Battle Creek to have me specifically wait on them. Two black guys - both had concealed carry permits -- and they'd been turned down on purchases at two shops in Battle Creek - simply because they were black...

I told them "They wouldn't sell you a gun because you're black? That's fucking stupid -- your money is just as green to me as anybody else's".

Back then - you still had to do a NICS check even with a CCW (changed since then) -- and theirs always went through instantly ---- usually because they have a federal file from being in government, or military. The one guy I know was former Navy...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-10-2015, 09:32 AM
See, this is the part of the story where the rich guy that got racially profiled rents out a couple of billboards on the roads leading to the jewelry store and puts up an ad like, "Want a jeweler that will call the cops on you because they don't like your race? Then come to Schwankekasten Jewelers!" With lots of smiling white people showing off the necklaces and bracelets they're wearing like a normal ad. And their phone number.

Boom, run out of business or at least severely wrist-slapped, purely private-sector solution, perfectly legal. (Not even slander/libel.)

.... I've been thinking we should do this to a few churches. "COME TO WESTBOROUGH BAPTIST CHURCH, WHERE WE TEACH YOU HOW TO HATE YOUR NEIGHBOR IN CHRIST'S NAME!"
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
29-10-2015, 09:43 AM
That's what people get for wanting watches in this day and age.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-10-2015, 10:26 AM
This begs the question what distinguishes what a legitimate vs. illegitimate customer sounds like? I mean, what the fuck can I say to not sound like a customer who calls to find out what time a business closes aside from being racially profiled for sounding Hispanic, or African American or maybe foreign? John Henson has every right to be pissed. I am sorry this is the reality of your life Adrian (even if it hasn't been this bad for you).
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post