Wisconsin Jewelery store racial profiling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 11:01 AM
RE: Wisconsin Jewelery store racial profiling
(27-10-2015 03:39 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Man this stuff bums me out.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/10/27/9...rimination

The gist of the story is:
-John Henson, 24 yr old (African American) professional basketball player calls a Jewelery Store (JS) Friday to ask what time they close.

-JS worker calls the cops and says she received a suspicious phone call from somebody who doesn't sound like a legitimate customer.

-They didn't let him in on Friday, took note of his car's plates, and thought they were stolen because they were dealer plates (apparently he received the car for some endorsement deal). Cops say call them if he returns.

-Monday he comes back and again they shut down the store and don't let him in. They call the cops and they come and eventually it all gets resolved.

John Henson's words:
Quote:Went to @schwankekasten jewelry today in White-Fish Bay during regular business hours . They locked the door and told me to go away . After I rang the doorbell twice everyone went to the back. No answered the door or told me what was going on. This was followed by two police cars pulling up and parking across the street and watching me for 5 minutes ( I assumed they were called by the store ) . I was then approached by 2 officers and questioned about the dealer vehicle I was in which is apart of my endorsement deal with Kunes country Chevrolet and asked me what I wanted amongst other things that were just irrelevant to me being there just trying to shop at the store like a normal paying customer would do . I told them I was just trying to look at a watch. He then had to go in the back and tell them to come out it was safe but this is after they ran my plates and I overheard them talking about doing more of a background check on the car. The employees finally came out of the back and proceeded to conduct business like they previously were as we walked up . This was one of the the most degrading and racially prejudice things I've ever experienced in life and wouldn't wish this on anyone . This store needs to be called out and that's what I'm doing . You have no right to profile someone because of their race and nationality and this incident needs to be brought to light and I urge anyone who ever is thinking of shopping here reads this and doesn't bring any business to this discriminatory place.

The full 911 call recording is in the link above.

I've experienced stuff like this, though not this bad. It just makes me sad.

Wow that's fucked up.

I really have no words.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-11-2015, 07:02 PM
If it's truly a case of racial profiling, then it's definitely unethical, but in the article OP posted, it wrote:

Quote:A store employee initially called police on Friday, Oct. 16, after some calls were made to the store (presumably by Henson) to find out what time they closed. That store employee told police the calls were "suspicious" and that they "didn't sound like they were legitimate customers."

Consider
I might be misunderstanding something, but they had no way to tell his race from a phone call if they didn't know it was the professional basketball player John Henson. If the clerk however, recognized that he was the sportsman, he would've had no reason to assume he wasn't a legitimate customer since a basketball player who's well known enough for his name to ring a bell in the average store clerk can be assumed to be credible enough not to be suspicious, no matter his race or ethnicity.
07-11-2015, 09:52 PM
(07-11-2015 07:02 PM)Naridar Wrote:  If it's truly a case of racial profiling, then it's definitely unethical, but in the article OP posted, it wrote:

Quote:A store employee initially called police on Friday, Oct. 16, after some calls were made to the store (presumably by Henson) to find out what time they closed. That store employee told police the calls were "suspicious" and that they "didn't sound like they were legitimate customers."

Consider
I might be misunderstanding something, but they had no way to tell his race from a phone call if they didn't know it was the professional basketball player John Henson. If the clerk however, recognized that he was the sportsman, he would've had no reason to assume he wasn't a legitimate customer since a basketball player who's well known enough for his name to ring a bell in the average store clerk can be assumed to be credible enough not to be suspicious, no matter his race or ethnicity.
Uhmmm, many black people have a distinctive quality to their voice that easily identifies them as black.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-11-2015, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 09:33 AM by Anjele.)
duplicate

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-11-2015, 06:27 AM
(08-11-2015 06:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 09:52 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Uhmmm, many black people have a distinctive quality to their voice that easily identifies them as black.

That statement is racial profiling. A lot of people speak the way they do because of where they were raised and the way people around them speak.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

08-11-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 09:03 AM by Adrianime.)
(08-11-2015 06:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 06:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  That statement is racial profiling. A lot of people speak the way they do because of where they were raised and the way people around them speak.
I disagree.
1. Recognizing that certain speech patterns and tones of voice can overwhelmingly indicate an ethnic background is NOT racial profiling. (Assuming that a person whose ethnicity you discerned will commit a crime because of that ethnicity would be racial profiling).
2. It's apparent to me when I hear a black male speak that the speaker is black much of the time. This is without looking at them, and has to do with a different quality than just an accent. Of course this isn't 100 percent, but it's pretty close.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
08-11-2015, 09:31 AM
For that matter, race is not entirely a matter of skin color and heritage. It is about how a society perceives and categorizes a person (and then treats them based on that categorization), and that is quite easily affected by voice quality, word choices, accent, speech patterns, and similar mannerisms.
08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
(08-11-2015 09:00 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 06:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
I disagree.
1. Recognizing that certain speech patterns and tones of voice can overwhelmingly indicate an ethnic background is NOT racial profiling. (Assuming that a person whose ethnicity you discerned will commit a crime because of that ethnicity would be racial profiling).
2. It's apparent to me when I hear a black male speak that the speaker is black much of the time. This is without looking at them, and has to do with a different quality than just an accent. Of course this isn't 100 percent, but it's pretty close.

Your making assumptions based only on a manner of speech is profiling.

On a phone call you can't even be sure if you are speaking with a male or female, especially in a tense situation.

08-11-2015, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 11:07 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-11-2015 09:00 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  1. Recognizing that certain speech patterns and tones of voice can overwhelmingly indicate an ethnic background is NOT racial profiling.

That's like saying recognizing the color of your skin is not racial profiling. Of course recognizing different speech is not in and of itself racial profiling but it most certainly can be used for racial profiling every bit as much as the color of your skin. And it is.Linguistic profiling.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-11-2015, 11:08 AM
I've got a friend that I went to school with who is black.

When it's just him and me talking -- he has no discernible "blackness" to his voice. If you talked to him on the phone - you'd have no clue whatsoever to his ethnicity.

His brother has lived in L.A. for over 25 years.

When his brother comes to town and stays - he picks up a distinct "accent" - that his brother has picked up living in LA. His speech is more clipped, higher in pitch - use much more inflection and uses words that he rarely if ever uses otherwise.....It's subtle, but it's there.

I've called him out on it -- and he laughs -- and agrees that he does it. His wife laughs about it too... She isn't affected. Her parents are Scandinavian.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.