Wisconsin Jewelery store racial profiling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: Wisconsin Jewelery store racial profiling
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch.

White people like Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-11-2015, 11:32 AM
There are so many factors is identifying someone's race, or most anything else about them, over the phone.

Age has to be considered, health, the situation at hand, the purpose of the call, where a person grew up....the list is quite long and includes the speakers primary language.

I speak differently when making a business call than when I am having a conversation with a friend, I know I spoke differently a couple years ago when I called 911 and was panicked.

If you go by a quick phone call with someone you do not know...you are making assumptions that could lead to problems.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-11-2015, 11:56 AM
I can tell if I'm hearing a black person much of the time without seeing them.
08-11-2015, 12:01 PM
(08-11-2015 09:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 09:00 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I disagree.
1. Recognizing that certain speech patterns and tones of voice can overwhelmingly indicate an ethnic background is NOT racial profiling. (Assuming that a person whose ethnicity you discerned will commit a crime because of that ethnicity would be racial profiling).
2. It's apparent to me when I hear a black male speak that the speaker is black much of the time. This is without looking at them, and has to do with a different quality than just an accent. Of course this isn't 100 percent, but it's pretty close.

Your making assumptions based only on a manner of speech is profiling.

On a phone call you can't even be sure if you are speaking with a male or female, especially in a tense situation.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...-profiling

Quote:racial profiling

See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: ra·cial pro·fil·ing
Pronunciation:

Definition of racial profiling in English:

noun
US

The use of race or ethnicity as grounds for suspecting someone of having committed an offense.

Guessing/categorizing is not racial profiling. Using that guess/categorization as grounds to.....(see definition above)

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-11-2015, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 12:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
I was born a poor black child.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
08-11-2015, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 01:07 PM by GirlyMan.)

08-11-2015, 11:40 PM
I mean... say I wanted to rob that store - am I *really* gonna be that frikken stupid to call them and possibly alert them beforehand?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.