Wisdom Teeth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 11:19 AM by Ferdinand.)
Sad Wisdom Teeth
Went to the dentist today because I've been in a lot of pain lately. I'd say it started a week ago that I began feeling slight throbs and pinches ("Oh, maybe I ate something cold. Maybe too much sugar."-- you know, telling yourself it's nothing because you literally don't think it's anything.) I've had my share of careless dental hazards; cavities, none too bad. My dentists noticed them as soon as they sprouted and they were drilled and filled within seconds. About two years ago I busted my face up, chipped a front tooth, had to get it capped and the nerve of that tooth removed also (root canal's aren't that bad, just make sure your anesthetic doesn't wear off halfway through the procedure.)

Sunday night, I woke up at 2 in the morning with severe pains; the entire right side of my mouth was throbbing horrendously. I couldn't tell which tooth was hurting, nor could I even differentiate which side the pain was coming from. I took some ibuprofen, the pain faded in 30 minutes or less and I went back to sleep. The next day at school, I texted my mom and told her about that night; she called the dentist, and made an emergency appointment for the next day (today.)

I was talking to a friend about it, and she suggested it was a dying nerve (what causes you to need a root canal) I shrugged. "Whatever, I've had one before, I can handle another; no big deal." I believed her, because although wisdom teeth begin to come in between the ages of 16 and 25, many people don't experience difficulty with them this early. Of course, I know people that have, but then again everyone is different. Tartarus just recently had his ripped out and he's 19. Tongue

But no. I get to the dentist today, they throw a bunch of x-rays at me, and tell me all of my wisdom teeth are starting to peak. The top and bottom lefties are still in their little socks. The bottom right is halfway through the sock, but still has some time left before it starts causing me pain. The top right is the one causing me pain, and according to my dentist, tops are always the worst to deal with because the pain is difficult to identify (I didn't know what tooth/whether top or bottom was hurting, because everything hurt) and the pain can even cause problems up in the eyes, brain, and extend to the neck. My tooth is cornered against my back tooth, the tooth that's next to it, and it's slowly pushing that tooth. If it continues to do so, it will damage the root of that tooth, and I'll have to have it pulled as well.

I want to slam my head into the sharpest dagger on the planet. The throbbing has continued since I've returned home. Shy

Monday, I go in to meet my oral surgeon, who will then cut open my gums and surgically remove the little bastards.

Sadcryface
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2013, 11:19 AM
RE: Wisdom Teeth
Got my sympathy.

There are few things more painful.

Still got mine. You've developed wisdom and 30 years older I'm still unwise.

But yesterday and today ... oh! the pain (top left)... can't sleep!

10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Mine were impacted and they had to pull all four when I was 17.

I am a big baby when it comes to all things medical. It felt so good when the little buggers were gone. You're tougher than I am so you'll be fine. Smile

Hope they don't bother you too much before they get removed.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I got to have the whole impacted thing like Kid. All four were growing forward and pushing all my other teeth together...so all my teeth pretty much hurt. Oral surgeon said he could take two out but I would have to have the other two done eventually. I told him that if he was going in, to get 'em all. I spent about three days after the removal feeling like shit then was fine and happy to have them gone. I was about 22 at the time but they probably should have been removed sooner, like a couple years sooner.

Mouth/tooth pain is the worst! UGH...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
10-09-2013, 11:32 AM
(10-09-2013 11:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Got my sympathy.

There are few things more painful.

Still got mine. You've developed wisdom and 30 years older I'm still unwise.

But yesterday and today ... oh! the pain (top left)... can't sleep!

I'm just happy the tooth isn't horizontally impacted; those are the most difficult to remove. Abscess teeth are pretty awful I've heard as well.

Hug

(10-09-2013 11:23 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Mine were impacted and they had to pull all four when I was 17.

I am a big baby when it comes to all things medical. It felt so good when the little buggers were gone. You're tougher than I am so you'll be fine. Smile

Hope they don't bother you too much before they get removed.

I usually don't do well with medical practices this serious unless I'm sedated. With most dental fillings, I get laughing gas to calm me. With my root canal, I only received shots of anesthetic... which wore off halfway through my operation. The pain was terrifying. I almost kicked my dentist in the throat. I was pissed. Shy

Right now, I take about 2-4 Ibuprofen a day to ward off the throbbing. The top right that's causing me so much pain is a Mesioangular impaction.

...which means it's rubbing against the tooth next to it, causing me even more pain. Sad
[Image: impact-example.jpg]
10-09-2013, 11:34 AM
(10-09-2013 11:32 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I got to have the whole impacted thing like Kid. All four were growing forward and pushing all my other teeth together...so all my teeth pretty much hurt. Oral surgeon said he could take two out but I would have to have the other two done eventually. I told him that if he was going in, to get 'em all. I spent about three days after the removal feeling like shit then was fine and happy to have them gone. I was about 22 at the time but they probably should have been removed sooner, like a couple years sooner.

Mouth/tooth pain is the worst! UGH...

My left bottom and top teeth haven't breached their socks, but my dentist recommended getting them removed as well when I go in Monday-- there's no need to remove two, and wait two weeks to have the other two removed. Might as well get them all out at once and drown myself in medicine so I don't feel like I hit myself in the mouth with a hammer.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
10-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Just go for it cause they don't get better!

Hope they get it taken care of real soon and give you enough meds so you aren't miserable. Hug

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
(10-09-2013 11:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Just go for it cause they don't get better!

Hope they get it taken care of real soon and give you enough meds so you aren't miserable. Hug

Thanks, Anj. I want them out desperately. They're killing me. Sad

Hug
10-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Had my lowers cut out while in the Marines during the 80s - they only used Novocaine (which they were stingy with), and that sucked.

Had my uppers out a few years ago at my civilian dentist - took a tranquilizer beforehand, then had novocaine and laughing gas during, and that wasn't half bad.

Moral of the story - if you ain't got no dope, you ain't got no hope! Or at least it was simply better living through chemistry...Smokin
[+] 2 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I had all four of mine removed at once. Bottom two were horizontal impactions.

NOTE: have a family member or friend in the room with you when they put you under. 1. just in case someone tries to molest you. 2. you have a witness if any complications occur. If the surgeon says no, find another one.