Wisdom, moral-philosophy reading for the non-religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Wisdom, moral-philosophy reading for the non-religious
Having been an atheist for a year or so (deconverted from Christianity), I'm personally at the point of not giving much thought to Christianity anymore (and critiques of it) and wanting to entirely invest my reading in new and positive subjects (rather than critiques). Specifically, my purpose for this thread is to hear other books people would recommend in terms of reading about growing in wisdom, character, etc...like maybe along the lines of "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, "The Meaning of Human Existence" by Edward O Wilson, etc. Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2015, 07:28 AM
RE: Wisdom, moral-philosophy reading for the non-religious
tao te ching Big Grin

I'm no help. I read all kinds of fluffy fiction and stuff. What you're looking for I'd classify as "homework." Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-09-2015, 07:38 AM
For good, fun, thinking fantasy all the Disc World novels by the late, great Terry Pratchett. Smile
14-09-2015, 11:15 AM
(14-09-2015 07:38 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  For good, fun, thinking fantasy all the Disc World novels by the late, great Terry Pratchett. Smile

In all seriousness, I would recommend these books to literally everyone, both as fantastic comedy-fantasy-satire in their own right and as excellent pieces on the nature of duty, morality, belief, race and class issues, and so on. Pratchett weaves all of it together like an absolute master, and teaches without ever feeling like a teacher.

In particular, I would recommend Reaper Man, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Hogfather, and the entire City Watch arc. I would just say Night Watch and Thud!, but you have to read the preceding books to really understand the weight that they carry.

Reaper Man is probably the single best of his to read, if you want an example of the kind of brilliance he's capable of. The main plot is absolutely incredible, though you can safely skip over all the bits in the side plot; I honestly think it was only included because the publisher refused to take a story as short as the main plot would have been without it, and it's just slapstick comedy. Good slapstick, but still just slapstick.

The main plot, on the other hand, is one of the most moving and enthralling pieces of fiction ever penned.

DO YOU KNOW WHY THE PRISONER IN THE TOWER WATCHES THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner