With Christianity, money talks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2012, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2012 06:07 PM by Anjele.)
RE: With Christianity, money talks
This is not a surprise to me. I grew up in a town with a population of about 3500 people. Not a suburb, but a small farming community. Attached are pictures of the church in that town. No wonder they always need money.

Never mind my attachments never want to work...damnit.

Try this instead http://www.xavierbasilica.com/minishowcase/index.php

hot damn it worked! If you follow the link there is even a panoramic view...it is an amazing structure. Was recently redone, repainted and gold leaf touched up.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2012, 08:48 PM
(13-04-2012 06:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This is not a surprise to me. I grew up in a town with a population of about 3500 people. Not a suburb, but a small farming community. Attached are pictures of the church in that town. No wonder they always need money.

Never mind my attachments never want to work...damnit.

Try this instead http://www.xavierbasilica.com/minishowcase/index.php

hot damn it worked! If you follow the link there is even a panoramic view...it is an amazing structure. Was recently redone, repainted and gold leaf touched up.
Impressive, and I do appreciate the artwork and architecture. Just need to take the religion out of it and re-task it as a community hall.

If it wasn't for religion it wouldn't have been so lavishly furnished in such a small town. It seems ridiculously out of place for such a small community.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
13-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Deep Thought,
It is truly an remarkable place. The artwork is everywhere as you can see from the pictures. The paintings, stained glass, wood carvings...all of it breathtaking even though many of the things depict horrifying scenes. Like the carvings of the stations of the cross that line each side. The pipe organ is amazing in its size and its incredible sound as it wafts down from the balcony. As kids, in the school next door, we learned funeral dirges in music class and were marched over to the church to sing funeral masses for those that wanted a children's choir.

Talk about growing up in the shadow of religion, you could see those twin spires no matter where you were in town as well as for many miles around.

A booklet is published every year and sent to every member that states exactly how much money each person gave the church...this includes kids who are given envelopes with their names on them so they can start giving. And by kids I mean elementary school.

Every smaller town around has a smaller but nearly equally ornate Catholic church.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-04-2012, 09:17 PM
(13-04-2012 02:16 PM)Egor Wrote:  I finished my review of ChristianForums.net. What a joke. What a horrible hypocrtical joke. How did it happen? How did the message of Christ get turned into money grubbing? When did it become an industry? A minister, an teacher, a healer, whatever...they deserve their keep, so to speak, a fair exchange. But how can a religion beg with one hand and sell with the other?

And how did this one ever get passed the screeners: Give me money and you can drive a Caddilac like I do. That has to be the all-time greatest con and where does it come from? The Church.

Whatever. They're talking less and less about Jesus Christ these days, so I suppose they can do whatever they want. Evil_monster
Your committing a bit of a fallacy of begging the question. You are implying that at some point it was not about money or economic powers.

What's more if these people were right about god they wouldn't be begging for money because if their ministry is true Christ will find a
way to pay the rent.
14-04-2012, 04:16 AM

(13-04-2012 02:29 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  One of the problems with religion is the control over people it has and when there's something with that kind of power there's always some piece of shit that will try to use it to exploit people. Its always been there and unfortunately as long as there is religion it will always happen in one form or another.

You're right. It is the element of control. Where there is control there will be corruption. Everyone should make their own religion then, IMHO.

(13-04-2012 04:36 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This perfectly demonstrates the purpose of the Like feature. I still can't stand you as a person, but I agree entirely with your post. It's like finding a perfectly good taco in a pile of trash. Just because I found it in trash doesn't mean I can't eat the taco.

Trust me: If I had a taco; I'd force you to eat it.

...what? Unsure

(13-04-2012 04:43 PM)watchman Wrote:  it was ever thus …. Demanding money with menaces ….seems to be a speciality
with the church….. odd for such spiritual people..[/font]

This
from Acts …

5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

5:2 And
kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a
certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

5:3 But
Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy
Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

5:4 Whiles
it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine
own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not
lied unto men, but unto God.

5:5 And
Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and
great fear came on all them that heard these things.

5:6 And the young men arose, wound him up,
and carried him out, and buried him.

5:7 And
it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what
was done, came in.

5:8 And
Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she
said, Yea, for so much.

5:9 Then
Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit
of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the
door, and shall carry thee out.

5:10 Then
fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young
men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her
husband.

5:11 And
great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

5:12 And by the hands of the apostles were
many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one
accord in Solomon's porch.

5:13 And of the rest durst no man join
himself to them: but the people magnified them.

So
Ananias sold some land and gave half to the church but the church wanted it
all.

Seems
to be a “Your money or your life “ deal …

I wonder if Peter wore a mask..
[/align]
[/size]
It's funny you brought that up. When I first realized that there was a disconnect between the teachings of Christ and Christianity, it was that story that showed me that there may never have been anything of Christ in the world after he was crucified. Peter does not act like Christ, by any stretch of the imagination.

(13-04-2012 09:17 PM)Godless Wrote:  Your committing a bit of a fallacy of begging the question. You are implying that at some point it was not about money or economic powers.

What's more if these people were right about god they wouldn't be begging for money because if their ministry is true Christ will find a way to pay the rent.

I could understand if it were just a donate button, or if it was just merchandise without a donate button, or if it was advertising without a button or merchandise, but damn.

But Jesus did say that when a person goes out to spread the Gospel they have a right to be housed, fed, clothed, that sort of thing. But to grow rich? I don't think so. Or even more, fine, have a Caddilac, have a nice house, but don't do it by telling your followers that if they give to you they will get rich, too. But it's like FSM and Lucardis said, it's all about power and control. And that always seems to corrupt people.
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 08:56 PM
@Anjele that church is amazing, I love that old style. The new churches today are crap. poor acoustics, no art. Give me Gothic any day.
although they cheaped out on the organ. Should have got a Casavant.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
14-04-2012, 09:05 PM
(13-04-2012 02:16 PM)Egor Wrote:  How did the message of Christ get turned into money grubbing? When did it become an industry?
It's a fantastic question. If God doesn't even let the birds of the air go unfed or the lilies of the field go undressed, then why do these people need money? Can't they just ask God for it? Perhaps they think God is holding out on them.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2012, 01:37 PM

(14-04-2012 09:05 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 02:16 PM)Egor Wrote:  How did the message of Christ get turned into money grubbing? When did it become an industry?
It's a fantastic question. If God doesn't even let the birds of the air go unfed or the lilies of the field go undressed, then why do these people need money? Can't they just ask God for it? Perhaps they think God is holding out on them.

Yeah, and I don't expect them to expect God to drop it out of the air like mana, but they don't have to turn their entire forum into a marketplace. Jesus whipped the sellers out of the temple, but he paid the temple tax when his disciple asked him about it. Maybe it's a fine line, but I think it's an obvious one.
Just found out I was banned from ChristianForums.net because of the interview I wrote. At least the moderator, Mike, was honest enough to actually say that was the reason.
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 02:58 PM
(15-04-2012 01:37 PM)Egor Wrote:  Just found out I was banned from ChristianForums.net because of the interview I wrote. At least the moderator, Mike, was honest enough to actually say that was the reason.
Well, you're not a Christian. You're not an atheist and if I were the moderator here, I'd ban you, too. And kc. What you have to say is not particularly interesting or intelligent, based as it is on fantasy and delusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-04-2012, 03:01 PM
(15-04-2012 02:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 01:37 PM)Egor Wrote:  Just found out I was banned from ChristianForums.net because of the interview I wrote. At least the moderator, Mike, was honest enough to actually say that was the reason.
Well, you're not a Christian. You're not an atheist and if I were the moderator here, I'd ban you, too. And kc. What you have to say is not particularly interesting or intelligent, based as it is on fantasy and delusion.

Party pooper.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.