"With or without religion.." Quote. Is Weinberg wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: "With or without religion.." Quote. Is Weinberg wrong?
(30-12-2014 05:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Everybody does good and bad. It's because we do bad that we need Christ. But we'd need Christ anyway, because doing good won't get us to heaven. This fixation atheists have with good and bad is ridiculous anyway. If there is no God, then good and bad don't matter--just the impulse to survive and reproduce.
[Image: dna1.gif]

“If there is no god, what is the purpose of life?” is like asking, “If there is no master, whose slave will I be?”

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
01-01-2015, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 06:12 PM by claywise.)
RE: "With or without religion.." Quote. Is Weinberg wrong?
Here are two very simple, non-theistic reasons to do "good" works and refrain from "bad" (the ""s in recognition that attaching such labels is seldom as clear-cut as they may seem — the poor man who steals a loaf of bread for his starving family, etc.):

Compassion and empathy. The so-called Golden and Silver rules, in other words.

No god necessary. I observe that, say, I do not like the pain of being burned so I would not choose to burn another sentient creature. If I were a psychopath, yes, I would lack such compassion and empathy; more commonly, I if were just a stupid fucking kid, my sense of compassion and empathy simply may not have matured.

That doesn't mean I might not do hurtful things, but in general, it's a pretty good rule of thumb. It's typically why I choose not to harm others. I don't need "god" or some overarching universal "morality" to tell me that.

By the way, Gordon, do you do *anything* but waste people's time here trying to explain your invented religion? I mean, do you have a job or a family or hobbies or anything? Because you seem to have endless time on your hands and I'll wager you have not changed a single person's mind on this forum. You are so predictable, honestly, that I just slide past your posts to see how people refute you.

But it must be hard trying to gin up your own religion. Maybe read up on El Drone Hubbub or Joseph Smith? They did something right.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply