Without God, life has no reason to be, there is no ultimate goal?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Question Without God, life has no reason to be, there is no ultimate goal?
Ok, this is the first time I open a new thread over here, so far I've enjoyed a lot the readings here and many of the doubts I have had have some kind of answer or light thanks to many of you.

There is a particular thread that took special note for me, this one: L Thread and was because of this sentence: "Without God, life has no reason to be, there is no ultimate goal"

It was not talked about too much because the way ElShadai handled the thread. I want to know your opinions about it, so far I'm starting to belive most of the ancient religions are just a big fake, but that exact sentence has been revolving over my head so much I tend to belive there has to be a God.

How do you guys handle with the "ultimate goal of life" if there is not a God within your belief systems?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts you drop by.

PD: English is not my native language, so sorry if I messed up some words or sentences.

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2011, 03:28 PM
RE: Without God, life has no reason to be, there is no ultimate goal?
I give my life purpose, meaning, substance, along with the people I know and love... Enough said.
28-05-2011, 03:32 PM
(28-05-2011 03:28 PM)MikeNH Wrote:  I give my life purpose, meaning, substance, along with the people I know and love... Enough said.

But what for? the better of future generations?
what meaning can have a really short span of life if there is not a "greater purpose"?

Be around with the people I love and care is enough to give a meaning to life? why if we already know we are all gonna pass away?

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
28-05-2011, 03:42 PM

What I'll say might be totally pessimistic and hollow... Life has no meaning by default. Life is a branch of chemistry that manifested the will to replicate itself by accident. This branch is called biology. Along the way, biology gave birth to cognition through a series of unlikely events that gradually mutated the primitive brain to the proportions it is today seen in humans.

Why all these things happened? The answer is that "why" is irrelevant and has no answers. It just happened. Simple explanation, nothing philosophical about it; basically those two are the components that constitute science. Simplicity and lack of philosophy.

Having said the above, I do under no circumstances mean that life is worthless. Meaninglessness and worthlessness are notions that are easily confused but they are not the same. You can find worth in building up your personality, your body, your mental aptitude, the blocks that constitute "you". You can find worth in helping others, in learning, in teaching, in giving something back to the human race; which although it is infantile and vain; in the bottom line, it is also what brought you to the world. You can find worth in philosophy, in religion, in the arts, in psychology, in politics. You can find worth everywhere.

One way or another you manifested a conscience. Try to get the most out of it before you expire. Try to be content when you expire. Try not to have regrets when you expire.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Celestus87's post
28-05-2011, 03:49 PM
The meaning of life is to make yourself as happy as possible without impeding on the happiness of others.

To get through life causing as little suffering as possible to those around you and to yourself.

To me, at least. And I don't need a narcissistic, genocidal deity to be involved for me to do that. (Animal sacrifices and grovelling kind of bum me out)

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
28-05-2011, 03:57 PM
(28-05-2011 03:42 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  One way or another you manifested a conscience. Try to get the most out of it before you expire. Try to be content when you expire. Try not to have regrets when you expire.

I really like that, a lot. Putting thinks that way changes the perspective of "obligations of life"

what do you think about devoting life to others that I care and love? my yet to come son by example. I cannot figure out if that is a kind of good reason to be content and go through life.

28-05-2011, 04:09 PM

(28-05-2011 03:57 PM)Maumin Wrote:  
(28-05-2011 03:42 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  One way or another you manifested a conscience. Try to get the most out of it before you expire. Try to be content when you expire. Try not to have regrets when you expire.

I really like that, a lot. Putting thinks that way changes the perspective of "obligations of life"

what do you think about devoting life to others that I care and love? my yet to come son by example. I cannot figure out if that is a kind of good reason to be content and go through life.

That's actually a tough question for me... Undecided

For a long period of my life, I loved others more than I loved myself; something that led to a series of depressive attacks because my self-esteem was going down the drain often enough. On the other hand, the people that I loved this much were my partners, not my children; so I cannot really imagine the emotionality lying behind this.

Lacking the emotional capacity to understand that, I have to approach the subject cynically. That said, I believe that children are one of the best investments one can make. They are part of you, they share mental and biological pieces of what you are made of. They will be the only physical evidence of your existence in the future. They will "carry" you in their minds and cells.

So... spending your energy to see your investments sky-rocket cannot be a bad thing. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2011, 04:52 PM
(28-05-2011 03:24 PM)Maumin Wrote:  "Without God, life has no reason to be, there is no ultimate goal"

Goddam, can't I just be without needing a reason. Where's this need to have some sort of reason to be coming from? Wherever it is, it needs to just settle its ass down and let me be.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi Maumin
Congrats on your soon to be fatherhood. (Take good nights rest while it still canSmile)

The argument of purpose is a very strong one. However, it's also proof that religion is nothing more then emotional bias. Why? what IS exactly the problem with having no purpose? Can you give me a rational reason for that? The only thing "having a reason" gives you, is a good feeling.

Now this is the catch with religious "meaning of life" theories. If there IS a deity giving the universe, and by extension, your life meaning...
  • it has done a poor job in informing us on what exactly.
  • What would be the purpose of that deity?
Even if you turn to religion to give your life purpose, then you still have to find your own way.

A deity raises more questions then it answers...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-05-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuN7pmtsZww

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post