Witnessing Death and How It Affects You

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Witnessing Death and How It Affects You
Many things that you will see in life can really freak you out you mentally. So much can cause someone to flip out and be scared for life. An example, When I was about 13 i saw this wreck, it was a guy on a motorcyle and a car. The car hit the biker and caused him to fly off a bridge, his helmet came loose during the fall. Me and my dad jumped out immediatly to go help, the man had hit the pavement head first. All i saw was a shattered head, blood and brain matter everywhere, and a twitching body. It still gives me the chills, and i get EXTREMLY pissed when someone says it would be cool to see a dead body. Some people just dont even know.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DaylightDusk's post
18-11-2011, 10:06 AM
RE: Witnessing Death and How It Affects You
As a motorcyclist, that story scares the shit out of me... I don't ever want to see a dead body like that. The only dead body I've seen was my grandma at the funeral and that was sad, but not emotionally scarring like your story. As an atheist, dead is simply that - the termination of the life of an organism. It doesn't make me scared or anything, just sad/missing the person who died.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
18-11-2011, 10:33 AM
I respectfully ask people not to say....or feel sorry for me if you read my post and as harsh as this may sound......shit happens, life goes on.....it has to.

In January '95 when I was 15 my dad went into hospital. He was a big smoker and he had developed a large blood clot in one of his legs that was slowly cutting off the supply to below his knee. The docs said they could either amputate or do a risky procedure where they put a stent in the clot. He went for the stent and had the operation done and it seemed a success......they had to give him warfarin which thins the blood and thats where the risk came in (along with the operation itself and my dads other medical conditions) when he woke up he seemed quite fine and as we were leaving he said he felt a bit funny....so we decided to wait with him till the doctor came. He then had a brain haemorage and died in front of us.

In November of the same year my mum woke me up for school and I told her I didnt want to go......she said ok which was unusual for her.....she said she was going to have a lie down and for me to wake her up at around dinner time and I went back to sleep.

When I went to wake my mum up she had took an overdose of sleeping tablets.....I knew straight away that she was dead and I rang the ambulance and the operator instructed me on how to try and resucitate her (id done lots of first aid training anyway and knew) her and my dad were one of the closest couples I have ever seen and I dont think she had ever really begun to come to terms with his death and had died from a broken heart.....she simply couldnt face living without him.

Obv this rocked my world......I was an orphan at 15 and although I had brothers and sisters I knew I had to make my own way in life and become a man quite sharpish. Looking back I think I was in shock for around 4-5 years and I went to a very dark and dreadfull place within myself where I didnt really give a fuck about anything, self medicated with any sort of drug I could lay my hands on and I hurt some people in ways that I cant really bare to think about.

I think when we witness traumatic events our brain can just shut down......then depending on what happens afterwards we sort of drip feed ourselves with it and try to come to terms. I will say that that dark place I experienced has never left me......its allways there but I manage to get on with my life and carry on.......thats why I said shit happens and we have to move on....again it may sound harsh and I obv miss my mum and dad but no amount of brooding nor crying will ever bring them back nor stop the past from of happening. You really have to try and come to terms with life or it will batter you down and finish you off.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 5 users Like bemore's post
18-11-2011, 10:33 AM
(18-11-2011 10:06 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  As a motorcyclist, that story scares the shit out of me... I don't ever want to see a dead body like that. The only dead body I've seen was my grandma at the funeral and that was sad, but not emotionally scarring like your story. As an atheist, dead is simply that - the termination of the life of an organism. It doesn't make me scared or anything, just sad/missing the person who died.

I understand what ya mean. Im terrified to ride motercycles cause of that and my friend i grew up with died on one last year :/
18-11-2011, 10:36 AM

(18-11-2011 10:33 AM)bemore Wrote:  I respectfully ask people not to say....or feel sorry for me if you read my post and as harsh as this may sound......shit happens, life goes on.....it has to.

In January '95 when I was 15 my dad went into hospital. He was a big smoker and he had developed a large blood clot in one of his legs that was slowly cutting off the supply to below his knee. The docs said they could either amputate or do a risky procedure where they put a stent in the clot. He went for the stent and had the operation done and it seemed a success......they had to give him warfarin which thins the blood and thats where the risk came in (along with the operation itself and my dads other medical conditions) when he woke up he seemed quite fine and as we were leaving he said he felt a bit funny....so we decided to wait with him till the doctor came. He then had a brain haemorage and died in front of us.

In November of the same year my mum woke me up for school and I told her I didnt want to go......she said ok which was unusual for her.....she said she was going to have a lie down and for me to wake her up at around dinner time and I went back to sleep.

When I went to wake my mum up she had took an overdose of sleeping tablets.....I knew straight away that she was dead and I rang the ambulance and the operator instructed me on how to try and resucitate her (id done lots of first aid training anyway and knew) her and my dad were one of the closest couples I have ever seen and I dont think she had ever really begun to come to terms with his death and had died from a broken heart.....she simply couldnt face living without him.

Obv this rocked my world......I was an orphan at 15 and although I had brothers and sisters I knew I had to make my own way in life and become a man quite sharpish. Looking back I think I was in shock for around 4-5 years and I went to a very dark and dreadfull place within myself where I didnt really give a fuck about anything, self medicated with any sort of drug I could lay my hands on and I hurt some people in ways that I cant really bare to think about.

I think when we witness traumatic events our brain can just shut down......then depending on what happens afterwards we sort of drip feed ourselves with it and try to come to terms. I will say that that dark place I experienced has never left me......its allways there but I manage to get on with my life and carry on.......thats why I said shit happens and we have to move on....again it may sound harsh and I obv miss my mum and dad but no amount of brooding nor crying will ever bring them back nor stop the past from of happening. You really have to try and come to terms with life or it will batter you down and finish you off.

I'm sorry to hear all of that. Confused
Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2011, 11:15 AM
(18-11-2011 10:33 AM)bemore Wrote:  I respectfully ask people not to say....or feel sorry for me if you read my post and as harsh as this may sound......shit happens, life goes on.....it has to.

You're right. -life does go on... it has to.
I'm glad you are here.
Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Is it OK if we try to feel with you though? Life shit does happen. Sometimes these stories help people get through the shit and sharing in 2 directions helps us know we aren't alone. Thanks for an inlet into your life experience.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
[+] 1 user Likes defacto7's post
21-11-2011, 10:03 AM

You've obviously been through a lot, and for you to feel comfortable sharing that story... well, I really respect you. People like you, who've been through so much in life, that've experienced some of the worst pain imaginable, but who can still speak and share their hard memories, are actually very inspirational.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes itsFerdinand's post
23-11-2011, 08:34 PM
I've seen quite a lot of ridiculous injuries, though honestly I think I have more mental scaring from videos I saw online where injuries have gone beyond ridiculous and been posted up for the world to see.

I've seen the remains of a guy's head that took a 45 cal pistol round and I've seen what I will only describe as someone who's car fucked them up, right there in front of me. Seen people laying there covering in stab wounds. Seen what happens when somebody is split into 50 pieces by a train. But still a google search for a few things has always stuck with me more. I can deal with what I saw in front of my face. I can come to terms with it. For some reason a video of something that happened years ago I can't push it out of my mind so easily.
Three shock videos that went around, one of a man who had a motorbike run over his stomach, a man who went under a truck wheel, and a man who hit a concrete barrier while diving into a river... Those have stuck with me more than when I witnessed things happening right in front of me.

That's my ramble about this.

That said though, I believe there may be a mental block going up on many of the things I saw in front of me.
I know my uncle died holding my hand. I do not remember it ever happening.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
23-11-2011, 11:43 PM
(18-11-2011 10:33 AM)bemore Wrote:  Obv this rocked my world......I was an orphan at 15 and although I had brothers and sisters I knew I had to make my own way in life and become a man quite sharpish. Looking back I think I was in shock for around 4-5 years and I went to a very dark and dreadfull place within myself where I didnt really give a fuck about anything, self medicated with any sort of drug I could lay my hands on and I hurt some people in ways that I cant really bare to think about.
It’s good that you found your way and didn't wallow in self pity for the rest of your life. Respect man!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.