Woman on trial for laughing during Sessions confirmation hearing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Woman on trial for laughing during Sessions confirmation hearing
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05...ng_at.html

I wasn't aware that laughter was such a threat to freedom and democracy.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2017, 08:13 AM
RE: Woman on trial for laughing during Sessions confirmation hearing
WTF? Facepalm

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Land of the Free....
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
03-05-2017, 08:23 AM
I bet 99% of people who say "racists/sexists should be allowed to speak wherever they want!" would turn around and say "SJWs shouldn't be allowed to laugh at confirmation hearings".

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
03-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Dunno. I wasn't there. Nobody else here was either, so it's safe to say we don't really know.

But don't t let that stop you from making whatever assumptions you feel appropriate....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-05-2017, 09:42 AM
(03-05-2017 09:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Dunno. I wasn't there. Nobody else here was either, so it's safe to say we don't really know.

But don't t let that stop you from making whatever assumptions you feel appropriate....

Laughing thankfully isn't a crime. I don't think there are limitations as to locality.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-05-2017, 09:47 AM
(03-05-2017 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Dunno. I wasn't there. Nobody else here was either, so it's safe to say we don't really know.

Laughing thankfully isn't a crime. I don't think there are limitations as to locality.

I'm not so sure about that. Laughing in a courtroom during a trial could be construed as contempt of court, which is a crime (I believe). It would depend on context. Almost anything could be a crime if done at an inappropriate time and/or place.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
03-05-2017, 09:56 AM
(03-05-2017 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  

Speaking your mind is a Constitutionally guaranteed right.

But if you do it in open court without the judge's say-so, it's probably not going to go well for you.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-05-2017, 09:57 AM
(03-05-2017 09:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  Laughing thankfully isn't a crime. I don't think there are limitations as to locality.

Speaking your mind is a Constitutionally guaranteed right.

But if you do it in open court without the judge's say-so, it's probably not going to go well for you.

How about crying in court, is that illegal too?

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-05-2017, 10:16 AM
(03-05-2017 09:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Speaking your mind is a Constitutionally guaranteed right.

How about crying in court, is that illegal too?

Crying and laughing are both often involuntary, and in that case, they would probably cut you some slack. However, in this case, the woman was a protester who was laughing at a carefully chosen time, specifically to make a point. We can then ask the question, "Was her protest appropriate in that context?" I think they're overreacting by prosecuting her (and that is likely to backfire by just giving her protest free publicity), but it's a whole different ball of wax compared to involuntary laughing (or crying).
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post