Woman on trial for laughing during Sessions confirmation hearing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
RE: Woman on trial for laughing during Sessions confirmation hearing
(03-05-2017 10:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  How about crying in court, is that illegal too?

Crying and laughing are both often involuntary, and in that case, they would probably cut you some slack. However, in this case, the woman was a protester who was laughing at a carefully chosen time, specifically to make a point. We can then ask the question, "Was her protest appropriate in that context?" I think they're overreacting by prosecuting her (and that is likely to backfire by just giving her protest free publicity), but it's a whole different ball of wax compared to involuntary laughing (or crying).

I don't know how easy it would be to prove she laughed intentionally. When I read the statement that she laughed at I also laughed. I'd have to hear the audio of the statement and her laugh to try to judge that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2017, 10:44 AM
(03-05-2017 10:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 10:16 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Crying and laughing are both often involuntary, and in that case, they would probably cut you some slack. However, in this case, the woman was a protester who was laughing at a carefully chosen time, specifically to make a point. We can then ask the question, "Was her protest appropriate in that context?" I think they're overreacting by prosecuting her (and that is likely to backfire by just giving her protest free publicity), but it's a whole different ball of wax compared to involuntary laughing (or crying).

I don't know how easy it would be to prove she laughed intentionally. When I read the statement that she laughed at I also laughed. I'd have to hear the audio of the statement and her laugh to try to judge that.

Agreed, it's hard to prove intention, but the fact that she was there as a protester certainly makes it look suspicious.
03-05-2017, 10:51 AM
I read this article from the Washington Post.

Establishing such a precedent is dangerous territory: to stifle dissent.

Sorry, TJ - we're fucking this up.
Or rather, we're letting this get fucked up.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-05-2017, 10:55 AM

[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
03-05-2017, 11:23 AM
(03-05-2017 09:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Speaking your mind is a Constitutionally guaranteed right.

But if you do it in open court without the judge's say-so, it's probably not going to go well for you.

How about crying in court, is that illegal too?

Strawman.

Laughing ( or crying) are not the offense.

Using laughing to disrupt a hearing, or to attempt to influence a jury, could be.

Again - I wasn't there.

Were you?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-05-2017, 12:38 PM
OLB what the fuck is wrong with you?

On topic of OP... In Zim it's illegal to make jokes about president Bob. Something about the dignity of office. Year in prison if you do. And people have gone to jail. How's it feel to be compared to Zim, USA?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-05-2017, 12:44 PM
When there are people there at the time, if an action is disruptive enough to halt proceedings the person should be warned first. If they insist on repeating the action after a warning then they should be removed and then prosecuted.

Its seems possible to me that this is someones attempt at payback or getting something over someone.

Its gotta be cause of its fucking pettiness.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
03-05-2017, 01:01 PM
(03-05-2017 09:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Dunno. I wasn't there. Nobody else here was either, so it's safe to say we don't really know.

But don't t let that stop you from making whatever assumptions you feel appropriate....

That's right you were not there, so don't assume she deserved it. Bet you wouldn't be saying the same thing if it were an Obama or Hillary appointee.

Sessions is a fucking bigot and I'd happily go to jail just to laugh in his face.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2017, 01:13 PM
(03-05-2017 01:01 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Dunno. I wasn't there. Nobody else here was either, so it's safe to say we don't really know.

But don't t let that stop you from making whatever assumptions you feel appropriate....

That's right you were not there, so don't assume she deserved it. Bet you wouldn't be saying the same thing if it were an Obama or Hillary appointee.

Sessions is a fucking bigot and I'd happily go to jail just to laugh in his face.
I never said she did deserve it.

I said I wasn't there and can't tell.

I admit to what I don't know.

And again, don't suppose you know what I think, you stereotyping shit.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Well, none of us were there, but a number of other news sources have reported more or less the same story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laug...3976810a3a

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/us/co....html?_r=0

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/acti...ng-n754326

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39799610

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/...story.html

And Snopes says it's true:

http://www.snopes.com/woman-prosecuted-l...-sessions/

... but I suppose they could all be either mistaken or lying. Consider

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."