Woman with cancer decides childbirth more important than treatment. Dies & Lauded.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Woman with cancer decides childbirth more important than treatment. Dies & Lauded.
http://news.yahoo.com/mom-with-cancer-ma...45230.html

Quote:in November 2, at 23 weeks pregnant with her fourth child, Cara Combs was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma. Doctors advised the mom from St. Louis that her best shot was to have the baby immediately and begin cancer treatment — but they also noted that her baby would have a 90 percent greater chance of survival if she waited until 28 weeks to deliver. Cara made the hard choice to postpone her own treatment in order to give her baby a better chance at life
Quote:Baby Shaylin (“Shay”) was born on Dec. 5......and on the morning of Dec. 8 she (photographer, I think) updated her page with news of Cara’s death.

I cut up the story to keep it short and to the point. Go to the site for the full version.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
09-12-2015, 08:46 PM
RE: Woman with cancer decides childbirth more important than treatment. Dies & Lauded.
This woman had 3 other kids and a husband and didn't do everything she could to stay with them?

If it isn't obvious, I think her decision was terrible.

The news story is also full of "god needed another angel" type of language, which is sad to say the least.

A tragedy indeed, but quite possibly a preventable one.

09-12-2015, 08:49 PM
RE: Woman with cancer decides childbirth more important than treatment. Dies & Lauded.
I guess I'll add, I am no cancer expert, but if she basically had no chance of survival either way, then I can understand her choice a bit. Although adding the financial burden of an extra child to a newly single father isn't a great choice either.

(plus technically she died from a liver issue).

09-12-2015, 08:52 PM
(09-12-2015 08:43 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  http://news.yahoo.com/mom-with-cancer-ma...45230.html

Quote:in November 2, at 23 weeks pregnant with her fourth child, Cara Combs was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma. Doctors advised the mom from St. Louis that her best shot was to have the baby immediately and begin cancer treatment — but they also noted that her baby would have a 90 percent greater chance of survival if she waited until 28 weeks to deliver. Cara made the hard choice to postpone her own treatment in order to give her baby a better chance at life
Quote:Baby Shaylin (“Shay”) was born on Dec. 5......and on the morning of Dec. 8 she (photographer, I think) updated her page with news of Cara’s death.

I cut up the story to keep it short and to the point. Go to the site for the full version.

From what I've read about stage IV melanoma the chances of survival is almost zero. She may have realized that she wouldn't make it and just went ahead and had the baby. The prayers and the rest of the story is total nonsense though. Prayers don't do shit.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-12-2015, 04:44 PM
(09-12-2015 08:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  From what I've read about stage IV melanoma the chances of survival is almost zero.
Yes, sounds to me her decision was a reasonable one.

The average lifespan for a person after being diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma is 10 months. The likelihood of surviving 5 years is 9%.

If her cancer was at a state where she couldn't even wait 5 weeks (just over one month) then it is pretty unlikely even with treatment that she would have lasted much longer.

Of course not knowing the specifics of the case it is hard to determine what I would have done had I been in the same position. But her decision seems reasonable to me.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
16-12-2015, 06:19 AM
I can only confirm what was said before, stage IV melanoma is basically incurable, giving the baby a high chance of survival was the best decision that could've been made. At 23 weeks, survival is <10% and never without serious developmental complications; at 28 weeks, it's >80% and there's a good chance the newborn will grow up to be perfectly healthy. While her death might have happened from perinatal complications (thrombosis seems a very likely suspect to me), she would've probably died within a year either way.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
16-12-2015, 07:49 AM
RE: Woman with cancer decides childbirth more important than treatment.
(09-12-2015 08:43 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  http://news.yahoo.com/mom-with-cancer-ma...45230.html

It's tragic but totally understandable. I would absolutely give my life for my children or grandchildren. Without question. Her chance was nil but she could still give her baby a healthy start. What a gift!

The other side to this issue, for me, is body autonomy. I support total body autonomy. What you do with your own body is no ones business but yourself even if that is to end its life.

She made that choice and people lauded her for her sacrifice but... if she had wanted to end her life without having terminal cancer she would've been shamed, hospitalized or criminalized. Some would do this even if she was terminal with no baby to sacrifice for. We are just now seeing some progress with choosing "end of life" rights. It's long overdue, IMO.

I feel for her family, god beliefs aside, she did a brave thing. My condolences to her family.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
16-12-2015, 07:53 AM
They named the girl Shaylin, which allegedly is from Hebrew and means "gift"

Unsure

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post