Women and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Women and Atheism
I've noticed on this forum and elsewhere that male atheists seem to outnumber females quite significantly. (I could be wrong about this, since it's only personal observation.) There are a few female users here who post regularly, but it seems the large majority of you are guys.

If this is actually true, what do you think is the cause? Another related question might be why churches are overwhelmingly full of women (this I do have actually experience with.)

I'm not baiting anyone, so answer honestly. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2010, 11:00 PM
RE: Women and Atheism
Because men tend to have (at the current time in western society) more education then their female counterparts.

This however is quickly changing. Girls have begun to beat boys in school in the science classroom and are gaining ground in terms of career path.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't think it's education based. Men and women are built differently, they're wired differently and they think differently. It's hormonal. Women therefore tend to be more "spiritual" than men. (quote marks there for a reason.) I've been divorced twice. Both times I was single I insisted to myself that I was going to hold out for a female atheist. Shyahh, good luck even finding a female atheist, let alone one I'm compatible with. I have two brothers and a sister. Myself and both brothers are atheist. My sister - devout Catholic. Same nature. Same nurture.

I have three kids. One son (atheist) two daughters (claim to be atheist but talk about ghosts and vague abstractions I'd call spiritualism.) Seriously, it's a chick thing.
18-12-2010, 11:50 PM

I think both are reasonable answers.

I think "spiritual" is just a catch word for "emotional" so of course applied to women this is absolutely true. Women also have evolved a strong natural predisposition toward bonding and relationship development, which makes the idea of a personal god even more appealing to women.

I think many women also naturally shy away from confrontation, so a life spent in direct opposition to almost everyone is a stressful road for us. Only those of us with exceptionally large mental kahunas can handle it. Smile

I'm pretty sure women invented prayer to deal with the insanely oblivious risk-taking behavior of their sons.
19-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Hey, athnostic.

So are you suggesting that all religious women have an Electra thing going on with God?

I don't know. I've been a member of several online communities and men seem to always outnumber women. Perhaps women are smart enough to live their lives 8D

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
19-12-2010, 12:14 AM

Well, from my personal experience, most of the atheists I know are females, and none of them, myself included, are really spiritual. I think it's more because a lot of females don't really like to go on forums or post frequently; most of the forums I go on, no matter what the subject, always have a higher number of males. I could be wrong Tongue
19-12-2010, 12:47 AM
(18-12-2010 11:50 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I think many women also naturally shy away from confrontation, so a life spent in direct opposition to almost everyone is a stressful road for us. Only those of us with exceptionally large mental kahunas can handle it. Smile

I wish my girlfriend would shy away from confrontations.
Or at least let me win one once in a while... Sad

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
19-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Women are denied education or pushed into House appliance or Barbie doll gender rolls.
Rarely have I seen any encouragement of intellectual pursuits for women.

(19-12-2010 12:47 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  I wish my girlfriend would shy away from confrontations.
Or at least let me win one once in a while... Sad

Be happy you have a girlfriend Norse Tongue
19-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I think part of it is that posting to strangers on the internet is more of, although not exclusively, a guy thing. I think you'll find more hard core gamers are guys, too. I doubt it has anything to do with men being more likely to be atheists.

I think you see fewer men in church because we generally lazier then women.

gaglamesh - I can't speak for all countries but in the US I'd say women receive a lot of encouragement for intellectual pursuits. Not yet at the level men are encouraged, but it's catching up. Women are still encouraged to get into what has been traditionally "women's" fields, like teaching, and have been somewhat discouraged out of math and science fields but that is really starting to change in the US.

Now, all that said, there are still certain imaginary lines drawn. My wife is close to finishing up her Masters in Speech Pathology. It is an area that requires a tremendous amount of science, but being a speech therapist is still considered more of a "woman's" field I guess and her department is probably 95% female. The handful of guys, though, must be loving it because they are constantly surrounded by women.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-12-2010, 02:40 AM
(18-12-2010 11:50 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I think "spiritual" is just a catch word for "emotional". Smile

That answers a question that has been bouncing around in my head for a while.