Women and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2010, 04:03 AM
RE: Women and Atheism
(19-12-2010 08:52 AM)BnW Wrote:  It is an area that requires a tremendous amount of science, but being a speech therapist is still considered more of a "woman's" field I guess and her department is probably 95% female. The handful of guys, though, must be loving it because they are constantly surrounded by women.

Not to discriminate or anything , but as a small joke , what if the guys are gay Tongue ?

Also , good to hear the mood is changing for the better.I took IT in college , and about 5-10% of the class was female.Most took up teaching jobs or stuck to math rather than IT.It's sad they don't get encouraged into intellectual pursuits - because then I could behave like a nerd and women may still like me Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:Not to discriminate or anything , but as a small joke , what if the guys are gay Tongue ?

Well, they will have a lot of time to focus on their studies because not a lot of guys there to focus on. I met one of my wife's male classmates, though, and I'm 1,000% sure this guy was not gay and was loving being one of like 5 guys in the program.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Thunderf00t on YouTube did a survey on his subscribers. In case you don't about Tf00t, he is one of the largest, most subscribed-to atheist on YouTube. Link to a video showing the results. Most of it is just some drama, but 15 seconds in, he shows that 89% that took the survey are males, 11% females. I tried to find official surveys before, but I couldn't dig up any. I don't know if it's just an internet thing like other suggest, or if there is some real lopsidedness going on here, but it the thought of there be few rational female atheists does bring mixed emotions. I find disparaging to my gender. But, on the brighter side, if it is true that there are few female atheists compared to male atheists, that means I should get my pick of atheist guys. I mean, unless they can settle for a good Christian girl.

Half-joking there, but most fellow atheists that I know, of both genders, tend to be atheist cause they want to get back at mommy and daddy. I think it might largely be due to stereotypes here. I live in a very Christian community, and most women are encouraged to be a good wife and mother first, student second. An interesting note though, I come from a long line of bastard children with no fathers. Consequently, almost everyone in my family, with the exception of my brother and uncle, are women who have to play both roles. They all are also various forms of atheists and all-around rational thinkers. I don't know if that means it's nature or nurture, but it's something to note.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
20-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:Not to discriminate or anything , but as a small joke , what if the guys are gay Tongue ?

I love how the forum replaced the smiley with the word tongue.So context appropriate.
Is the forum self aware? Big Grin
20-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I've noticed this too. In my student atheist club there are three regular members that are female (myself included) and the rest are male. So I don't think it's an internet thing, but may actually be a general trend.

Of course, it could simply be a matter that males are just more outspoken, and as has been said, more confrontational. Perhaps females feel like they have more to lose if they come out as atheists in certain communities?

Or it could be that females have, in general, more things to worry about than their male counterparts, so they turn to religion or a god to deal with the stress. In an unequal relationship (ie the female doing all the cooking, cleaning, raising children, and having a part-/full-time job, etc.) the female is probably more likely to be religious than a female in an equal relationship (although she could be in an unequal relationship because of religion... it's hard to tell whether or not it is causality or correlation). Or in single-parent families, the female is usually the one raising the children, so in that case, she would have a lot to worry about, and thus may turn to religion or a god to help her deal with her stress. Or it could simply be that females stress out more than males in general, and that could be why there is a sex/gender bias in regard to belief/unbelief.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
20-12-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't have the data available but I have read at least two different sources that document atheists as having fewer unwanted and or accidental pregnancies than religious people.
21-12-2010, 12:20 AM
(20-12-2010 10:35 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I love how the forum replaced the smiley with the word tongue.So context appropriate.
Is the forum self aware? Big Grin

Yeah. I thought it was weird that every time I log on here it says "welcome to Skynet". Huh

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
21-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, I'm a female, and I frequent here although I don't post much. I also don't talk a lot in real life unless it's something worth saying.
Most of the people I come in contact with are my customers and I try to refrain from discussing religion or politics with them; it's just not necessary and rarely productive.
I'm also fairly non-confrontational unless someone asks me something directly, or gets in my face (which never happens; for some reason unbeknown to me people often find me intimidating) in which case I can usually defend myself successfully.
21-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Calling you intimidating may be a psychological tactic to disorient you in an arguement, or to sway the perceptions of anyone else involved or witnessing the discussion. It is a subtle and undermining tactic. Be aware of that possibility.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
22-12-2010, 06:41 PM
they don't actually say it to my face, I have just heard that from other people (that some people find me that way). I don't know why....I try to be open and friendly with everyone.