Women and their feelings towards weight.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 11:21 AM
RE: Women and their feelings towards weight.
I'm still shocked that people actually think the media/industry is what is defining beauty. It's the other way around. People's perception of beauty is defining the industry.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 12:34 PM
(20-01-2012 11:21 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm still shocked that people actually think the media/industry is what is defining beauty. It's the other way around. People's perception of beauty is defining the industry.

Naaah, complex feedback loop.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2012, 08:10 PM
While some beauty standards are societal, others are not. As I already mentioned, babies as young as 2 years old prefer to look at faces that were rates as beautiful by the adults. Enough with this "if you don't agree with me it means you are brainwashed by society", already! I am sure everybody is brainwashed... except of course you!

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
20-01-2012, 10:18 PM
So then people who will NEVER reach the societal standard should never feel beautiful? They should feel ugly?

Hmmm....
29-01-2012, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 10:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
This blog post seems relevant here.

And this video feels worthy of repeat embedding. Smile

... I thought my wife would find that video hilarious, but all I got was a smack in the back of the head. ... Fuck, I'll never figure that woman out.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
30-01-2012, 09:31 AM
(20-01-2012 10:18 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So then people who will NEVER reach the societal standard should never feel beautiful? They should feel ugly?

Hmmm....

No. But they also shouldn't complain about why men are piling up at their front door to get a look at them. IMO many of the women who compain about the fashion industry's impact on beauty are just shoving the blame off on something other than themselves. They are too lazy to lose weight so they blame the industry for making men only find Kate Moss looking women attractive. Of course, this doesn't apply to every woman. The intelligent ones might actually have a fair argument. And obviously there are factors other than looks that a person can find attractive. You don't have to be beautiful to be desirable.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
30-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Just came across this.

[Image: adele.jpg]

She knows she isn't skinny. And doesn't give a shit. If someone doesn't like the way she looks she tells them to fuck off. If more women who were a little overweight had a better attitude and didn't complain about it they might actually attract more men and thus feel beautiful. But since I posted it I will say that Adele would probably be smokin' hot if she was like 30lbs lighter. She's got a pretty face and an amazing voice. A 10/10 body and I'd be humpin my computer.

-Mark Twain
30-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Wow. I was nodding my head and feeling like we were on the same page... until the third last sentence.

Adele IS smoking hot THE WAY SHE IS. And, she SHOULD (and it appears DOES) feel beautiful. Perfect.

And that should be the end... except you added your culturally imposed opinion of the skinny bitch attitude.

Please, re-read the OP. It states taking care of yourself to be health matters, but that 'skinny' doesn't equal healthy. 10lbs lighter doesn't equal healthier. Healthier equals healthy.

Also, there is no where that I read that this was ever about wanting men to pile up at the front door... no one is asking them to. It is about accepting our mental perception of beauty to be realistic.

(27-11-2011 09:23 PM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  If you know a woman who feels negatively about her weight, tell her that she's beautiful anyways. She needs to hear it. Sure taking care of yourself matters, but some women just naturally have weight problems, and this often triggers numerous cases of depression and what not. To all ladies that feel as if they're over weight, focusing on your weight is nonsense, because you're still beautiful. You don't need to be Barbie.

In fact, if Barbie was an actual woman, she would be 5’9” tall, have a 39” bust, an 18” waist, 33” hips and a size 3 shoe. Barbie calls this a “full figure” and likes her weight at 110 lbs. At 5’9” tall and weighing 110 lbs, Barbie would have a BMI of 16.24 and fit the weight criteria for anorexia. She likely would not menstruate. She’d have to walk on all fours due to her proportions. Slumber Party Barbie was introduced in 1965 and came with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 lbs with a book entitled “How to Lose Weight” with directions inside stating simply “Don’t eat.”
30-01-2012, 02:58 PM
(30-01-2012 02:35 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Wow. I was nodding my head and feeling like we were on the same page... until the third last sentence.

Adele IS smoking hot THE WAY SHE IS. And, she SHOULD (and it appears DOES) feel beautiful. Perfect.

And that should be the end... except you added your culturally imposed opinion of the skinny bitch attitude.

Please, re-read the OP. It states taking care of yourself to be health matters, but that 'skinny' doesn't equal healthy. 10lbs lighter doesn't equal healthier. Healthier equals healthy.

Also, there is no where that I read that this was ever about wanting men to pile up at the front door... no one is asking them to. It is about accepting our mental perception of beauty to be realistic.

(27-11-2011 09:23 PM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  If you know a woman who feels negatively about her weight, tell her that she's beautiful anyways. She needs to hear it. Sure taking care of yourself matters, but some women just naturally have weight problems, and this often triggers numerous cases of depression and what not. To all ladies that feel as if they're over weight, focusing on your weight is nonsense, because you're still beautiful. You don't need to be Barbie.

In fact, if Barbie was an actual woman, she would be 5’9” tall, have a 39” bust, an 18” waist, 33” hips and a size 3 shoe. Barbie calls this a “full figure” and likes her weight at 110 lbs. At 5’9” tall and weighing 110 lbs, Barbie would have a BMI of 16.24 and fit the weight criteria for anorexia. She likely would not menstruate. She’d have to walk on all fours due to her proportions. Slumber Party Barbie was introduced in 1965 and came with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 lbs with a book entitled “How to Lose Weight” with directions inside stating simply “Don’t eat.”

I'm not saying skinny equals healthy. I thougth we were talking about body image and what is beautiful. IMO Adele isn't ugly but is by no means smoking hot. In her case, IMO, her weight is the only thing stoping her from being sexually desirable to me. But that's just 'to me'. I think she has many reasons to feel good about herself. Her talent, her attitude towards body image, etc. She isn't complaining. And that is attractive to me. But I don't find her beautiful or sexy. Seems like a cool chick though.

-Mark Twain
30-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I think that society in fact DOES play a huge role in what people think they should look like. That goes for man too, btw, just saying.

A bit about myself I would like to share on this topic:
I never gave a shit about my weight or what my belly looks like etc until I was 13 and my mom told me I shouldn't gain weight. Back then I was thin and sporty and I did not have too much belly or anything. But that is when I started feeling bad about my body and weight.
I was thin and sporty until I was an adult and only when I started college, I started gaining weight. Naturally from sitting so much there and then at home to study and prepare stuff etc...
I gained until I was 90 kilo and once I hit the 90 I got to scared to step on the scale again so I didn't. I am very sure that I was over 90 for some time.
By now I am losing and I am under 90 and going lower.

Problem that during my whole life, from 13 until now, I felt fat no matter if that was true or not.

What I want to say, a woman is pressured about weight so much, I am positive that most guys have no clue about how much really.
It is not only media or girls looking at each other trying to be even thinner and prettier. Trying to become an anorexic Kate Moss (who btw in my opinion does not look good at all). Ever went into a clothing shop with your girl? They often have the really nice stuff only in very low sizes! Do you realize that some shops have the size 42 (not fat at all / German size) in the oversize section? Did you notice that ALL oversize clothes have completely ugly shapes that look like you are wearing a tent or drapes? So even if you want to be self confident with your belly in front of you... It is difficult to be confident when you can't find properly cut clothes in your size. And I am not talking about oversize like a person that looks like a ball. I am just talking about having a belly.
You feel fat for walking into a freaking clothing shop nowadays because if you aren't Kate Moss you do indeed have a hard time to find something.

@ the guys wondering:
I know that men have their struggles with the weird ideal for men, too. Not the big boos and the skinny body but hey, you guys have to have a sixpack and a three day beard and you need that great ass and cool hair, you need to look all trained and your "little helper" needs to have the right size, body hair on the chest and back and balls is soooo gross... And you wanna tell women that they have problems with their bodies and that you don't understand them? Come on... You have just as many issues, you simply compensate differently. You get a great car and a young girlfriend and the cool game console instead crying around, which btw is not a better way to compensate the feeling of not fitting the ideal Wink

So my conclusion:
Fuck the ideal, be yourself, have the body that you feel well with and tell those who critisize you, for no obvious reason, to look into the mirror.

cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user