Women in Islam - the "real Saudi Arabia"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2016, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2016 06:40 PM by Dom.)
Women in Islam - the "real Saudi Arabia"
I just watched the video below and a few other videos as well and would like to heard your opinions.

So the videos I watched, including the one below, are made by women. Youtubers or women interviewed by western media (for example one was interviewed by I think a Dutch reporter).

Many of our conceptions about women in those countries were addressed there but I am not entirely sold.
I do understand that not every man beats his wife there and not every woman is forced to cover her face and that not every this and that.
BUT
At its core, I feel that Islam is a religion that is very much against women.

The woman in the video below, you will hear her talking about modesty a lot. She makes a big point of the fact that women wear these things because they are being modest and also men but mainly because it makes things easier for them etc.
She was speaking a lot about society and that western society is ok with imodest clothing and so it is ok and that western people cannot see past that.
She makes points that freedom in islam means that you don't follow what society tells you but that <god stuff here>
Then later she uses the same thing about society but reverse and all gets messy in her arguing and I cannot even...

Anyway to come back to modesty.
I think fashion itself is something that everybody can decide on their own.
The choice wheter or not you want to cover your body including your face should be yours. If you choose that, because you want to, then that is fine with me. But if the law, society, and your religion dictates it to you and reasons by saying that "this is how you show that you are modest" and I call it a pile of bullshit.

No I am in a female body, I do not cover my face and my hair. I do cover my body in general because I feel weird exposing more than a naked arm or knee. But there are women around, that are fine to show their belly or shoulders or wear mini skirts or sheer tops and that is fine with me too. I seriously cannot give a fuck about what someone wears as long as it is their choice.

Now in the videos I have seen on youtube today, the women all make big points out of how free they are and they can work if they want, they study, they have kids, they have parties, they have a sense of fashion. And I am happy for them. They are obviously very fortunate.
But I have seen the other side as well. Not just the stuff we see in the media. I have seen more than that because of my job.
I have seen women being beaten up by their men because they didn't wear the head coverstuff and they were beaten until they put it on. And dare they even wince while getting beaten up, dare they and it would get worse.
I have seen too much real scum behaviour to be able to believe that what the women on youtube there said is true for the majority of females in muslim countries.

What are your thoughts?

Here is the video that annoyed me. But there are other, less annoying ones on youtube (although they are all annoying at some point)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2016, 06:16 PM
RE: Women is Islam - the "real saudi arabia"
Also I friggen mistyped the title, and only saw that now, Dammit I dunno how to fix that so now be it that way, ... meh

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
15-10-2016, 06:30 PM
The tricky thing about apperences is that no matter the reasons why you are wearring (or behaving) in certain fashion, someone else can judge you about it on any standards, no matter who unjust, false or stupid.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
15-10-2016, 06:30 PM
While the burka might be a particularly notable example of it, I don't think clothing's really the issue here.

The issue here is theocracy, totalitarianism, oppression, and stagnation.

WHO defines what modesty means in that context? WHO decides whether that's a virtue she should conform to? WHO decides what penalties -- legal, social, and/or violent -- she will suffer if she does not conform to it?

Not her. Maybe she welcomes it, but she does not choose it.

This a singular bleak pixel in a grandly bleak picture. WHO decides whether everyone born into the religion must remain in it for life or be executed as apostates? WHO decides that any nation that was ever once a Muslim nation must forever be a Muslim nation? WHO requires prayers five times per day and fasting for an entire month out of the year? WHO dictates a system of monarchy and the rejection of democracy?

No one living. Maybe some living people welcome it, but they do not choose it.

To live in the throes of religious fundamentalism is to be a slave to masters centuries dead. Any compassion or mercy they might have exercised while living, it is too late for them to exercise now. It is the loss of agency to a mindless read-only program written centuries ago, by people as primitive as their times, incapable of being debugged or updated to face the modern era and its modern challenges.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
15-10-2016, 06:37 PM
RE: Women in Islam - the "real saudi arabia"
(15-10-2016 06:16 PM)Leela Wrote:  Also I friggen mistyped the title, and only saw that now, Dammit I dunno how to fix that so now be it that way, ... meh

Fixed

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post