Women more empathic than men.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
13-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Women more empathic than men.
http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/...c_than_men

http://ujpb.org/research/volume-7/are-th...n-empathy/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...ligent-men

Though as you will see it is not as good as it sounds.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 12:49 AM
RE: Women more empathic than men.
Well, I know some cold-hearted bitches. Shy I also know some sweet boys who give their heart away.

So, there is always the exception. However, generally yes, women are more empathetic. Empathy is a base emotion (as opposed to Apathy).

Empathy- Caring, loving, nurturing

Apathy- not caring, separate, distant,

Often people are surprised to find that emotions such as hate or bitterness are more related to empathy than apathy. When one hates, one still cares.

Now, as far as gender bias on the emotion, generally 'man' is more analytical (less emotional) and woman is more feelings based. However recently they are discovering that the gender 'brain' is less female/male and moreso we are subject to our hormones. (which will affect our gender identity, etc)

Often (being on an atheist forum, Ill mention) it's the woman who brings the family unit back to church life because they are more easily manipulated emotionally with the feelings.

Citations, etc, I know. Google is your friend, Im just discussing musings from reading what Ive found plus learning emotional development in post secondary.
14-12-2015, 01:08 AM
(14-12-2015 12:49 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Well, I know some cold-hearted bitches. Shy I also know some sweet boys who give their heart away.

So, there is always the exception. However, generally yes, women are more empathetic. Empathy is a base emotion (as opposed to Apathy).

Often people are surprised to find that emotions such as hate or bitterness are more related to empathy than apathy. When one hates, one still cares.

Now, as far as gender bias on the emotion, generally 'man' is more analytical (less emotional) and woman is more feelings based. However recently they are discovering that the gender 'brain' is less female/male and moreso we are subject to our hormones. (which will affect our gender identity, etc)

Often (being on an atheist forum, Ill mention) it's the woman who brings the family unit back to church life because they are more easily manipulated emotionally with the feelings.

Citations, etc, I know. Google is your friend, Im just discussing musings from reading what Ive found plus learning emotional development in post secondary.

Well you are correct on each one. Also, I can link the sources of the claims if you wish. I am too tired to look them up now.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
14-12-2015, 01:16 AM
(14-12-2015 01:08 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 12:49 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Well, I know some cold-hearted bitches. Shy I also know some sweet boys who give their heart away.

Well you are correct on each one. Also, I can link the sources of the claims if you wish. I am too tired to look them up now.

I EMPATHIZE WITH YOU! Wink ha ha. I'm tired too.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
16-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Girls being more heavily socialized than boys in their 0 to 6 years old also help the development of their social skills and their empathy. Meanwhile, little boys are more encouraged to develop exploration ad analysis skills. Add the lasting impact of the machismo/Victorian culture (which is still incredibly powerful among teenagers), which leads men to remain phlegmatic in all circumstances, to that early upbringing, spice it up a bit with an hormonal cocktail that makes men less apt to create social bonds than women and you have the recipe for that strange division between men and women in our culture. The most astonishing is that this difference can be observed neurologically which also demonstrate how plastic our brain can be. The good thing is that our own brain plasticity, pervasiveness of our culture and capacity for insight and self correction means that these differences aren't carved into stone and aren't as solid as one might think at first glance.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
16-12-2015, 08:17 AM
My empathy is quite selective. Young children and cats. Everything else can burn Evil_monster

'Murican Canadian
16-12-2015, 08:47 AM
I know a lot of women who are empathetic, but I also know men who are too. I think I'm an empathetic person (sometimes to a fault). A lot of people tell me I can't save the world--but I like to still try. Tongue I know I have a protective nature--probably more with animals, children, the elderly, the homeless, or anyone who can't readily defend themselves and/or easily speak up for themselves.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
16-12-2015, 08:49 AM
(16-12-2015 07:52 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Girls being more heavily socialized than boys in their 0 to 6 years old also help the development of their social skills and their empathy. Meanwhile, little boys are more encouraged to develop exploration ad analysis skills. Add the lasting impact of the machismo/Victorian culture (which is still incredibly powerful among teenagers), which leads men to remain phlegmatic in all circumstances, to that early upbringing, spice it up a bit with an hormonal cocktail that makes men less apt to create social bonds than women and you have the recipe for that strange division between men and women in our culture. The most astonishing is that this difference can be observed neurologically which also demonstrate how plastic our brain can be. The good thing is that our own brain plasticity, pervasiveness of our culture and capacity for insight and self correction means that these differences aren't carved into stone and aren't as solid as one might think at first glance.

To add it has an evolutionary part to it. Females being more empathetic gives them an edge for care giving, a major part in hunter-gather culture. And males are less empathetic because it would help them focus more often.

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
16-12-2015, 10:18 AM
If you have large enough classes it's almost too easy to find statistically significant differences between them. A much more interesting question is how the aggregates apply to any individual case, because a generalisation without predictive utility has a bit of dead end to it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
16-12-2015, 10:26 AM
(16-12-2015 10:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  If you have large enough classes it's almost too easy to find statistically significant differences between them. A much more interesting question is how the aggregates apply to any individual case, because a generalisation without predictive utility has a bit of dead end to it.

Already mentioned that this is true, but thanks for the source bro.