Women more empathic than men.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
16-12-2015, 10:53 AM
RE: Women more empathic than men.
I think they are trained to be more empathetic but I do not think they are necessarily naturally so. It's my totally anecdotal observation that most women behave with more empathy because of the cultural "mom training" in the past. As the family caregiver it was part of her duty to teach and lead by example the things she found valuable. With the previous cultural influences of mother as caregiver and father as provider/protector the empathy training was more commonly shared with the girls than the boys. In the future I think we'll see this balance out a lot more.

The gender bias works in many different ways. Empathy has been considered a weakness for men and a strength for women in the past. We'll grow out of that eventually.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2015, 07:24 PM
(16-12-2015 08:49 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 07:52 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Girls being more heavily socialized than boys in their 0 to 6 years old also help the development of their social skills and their empathy. Meanwhile, little boys are more encouraged to develop exploration ad analysis skills. Add the lasting impact of the machismo/Victorian culture (which is still incredibly powerful among teenagers), which leads men to remain phlegmatic in all circumstances, to that early upbringing, spice it up a bit with an hormonal cocktail that makes men less apt to create social bonds than women and you have the recipe for that strange division between men and women in our culture. The most astonishing is that this difference can be observed neurologically which also demonstrate how plastic our brain can be. The good thing is that our own brain plasticity, pervasiveness of our culture and capacity for insight and self correction means that these differences aren't carved into stone and aren't as solid as one might think at first glance.

To add it has an evolutionary part to it. Females being more empathetic gives them an edge for care giving, a major part in hunter-gather culture. And males are less empathetic because it would help them focus more often.

Actually, this is a deeply rooted historical myth. The sexual divion of work in hunter-gatherer wasn't around based around hunting and gathering (for which age, geographic location, season and tribal expertise are actualy the rea determinant), but around tool making. Women show higher signs of teeth damage and aging caused by leather work while men don't. This indicates that women were working leather while men were working stone, wood and bones. It's further demonstrably false because the attention focus span of women is on average superior to that of men thanks to a higher capacity for multitasking. This ability is largely responsibe for the success women have in high level education where they obtain slightly higher grades on average and in their lower drop-out number (again this is also largely affected by the way they are raised). The fact that men have lower capacity for empathy is largely socially constructed with the physical variable playing a much more minor part. In fact, this slight disadvantage might very well be an inheritence from our primate ancestry where males rarely if ever care about their youngs (thus were less empathic) while men do. Compared to other primates, men are extremely empathic. Its good to not that a men brain chemistry is also affected by female pregnancy and infants. A lot of human traits aren't linked to our own primitive way of life, but find their roots in that of our hominide and primate ancester. I can try to pull up the few books and article where this is explained in detail, but I can't guaranty I can post it here since those were paid articles (if I was smart enough to save them in my computer).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
16-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Women are consistently found to be more empathic than men by validated psychometric scales. Two of the most reliable and widely used scales show this reading the mind in the eyes scale, and the EQ scale. Although this alone is not evidence for or against sex related biological causes of the difference. I think it is more of a character trait than anything. I'm probably not the most empathetic person, and it's a product of my life experiences more than being a female.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
16-12-2015, 08:15 PM
I am very empathetic towards others but I see this as a very positive attribute to have and one of my best features. I don't see it as negative at all.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-12-2015, 08:56 PM
(16-12-2015 07:24 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 08:49 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  To add it has an evolutionary part to it. Females being more empathetic gives them an edge for care giving, a major part in hunter-gather culture. And males are less empathetic because it would help them focus more often.

Actually, this is a deeply rooted historical myth. The sexual divion of work in hunter-gatherer wasn't around based around hunting and gathering (for which age, geographic location, season and tribal expertise are actualy the rea determinant), but around tool making. Women show higher signs of teeth damage and aging caused by leather work while men don't. This indicates that women were working leather while men were working stone, wood and bones. It's further demonstrably false because the attention focus span of women is on average superior to that of men thanks to a higher capacity for multitasking. This ability is largely responsibe for the success women have in high level education where they obtain slightly higher grades on average and in their lower drop-out number (again this is also largely affected by the way they are raised). The fact that men have lower capacity for empathy is largely socially constructed with the physical variable playing a much more minor part. In fact, this slight disadvantage might very well be an inheritence from our primate ancestry where males rarely if ever care about their youngs (thus were less empathic) while men do. Compared to other primates, men are extremely empathic. Its good to not that a men brain chemistry is also affected by female pregnancy and infants. A lot of human traits aren't linked to our own primitive way of life, but find their roots in that of our hominide and primate ancester. I can try to pull up the few books and article where this is explained in detail, but I can't guaranty I can post it here since those were paid articles (if I was smart enough to save them in my computer).

Well you are correct when you said it has a social part to it, after all we are social animals. I am interested in seeing your take. I also forgot to add when posting was that it was emotional empathy. I should have also explained what I meant by focus.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
17-12-2015, 08:31 PM
@Metazoa Zeke

Unfortunatly, I cannot send you solid links to scientific articles, but I could recoomnd you the work of George Freeman and Linda Owen who are the two most reputable anthropologist on that subject. It's perticularly intersting to read Freeman since in the early 90's he was still largely peddling the myth only to debunk it as our understanding of gender roles (and their sometime silly conotation) became greater. A real exemple of self correction mechanism in science.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
17-12-2015, 09:15 PM
(17-12-2015 08:31 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Metazoa Zeke

Unfortunatly, I cannot send you solid links to scientific articles, but I could recoomnd you the work of George Freeman and Linda Owen who are the two most reputable anthropologist on that subject. It's perticularly intersting to read Freeman since in the early 90's he was still largely peddling the myth only to debunk it as our understanding of gender roles (and their sometime silly conotation) became greater. A real exemple of self correction mechanism in science.

I will look it up. ありがとうございますBig Grin

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube