Women reclaiming the word SLUT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Women reclaiming the word SLUT
If we go with the usual intended meaning, i.e. the standard dictionary definition of SLUT ("a promiscuous woman"), is it a good idea for women to attempt to reclaim the word for themselves? Can it be done? If not, why not?

Nigger (nigga) and queer have more or less been reclaimed, at least to a large extent, so I wonder if it's doable with slut. Slut has been used for a long time, just like the other two words, but nigger (nigga) and queer have been reclaimed quite successfully.

What are the pros and cons of reclaiming the word SLUT?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kavos's post
11-12-2013, 08:55 AM
RE: Women reclaiming the word SLUT
When Rush Limbaugh tripped all over his own mouth 2+ yrs ago I drew this:
[Image: af3d109b-1.jpg]

The phrase only grew in popularity over time. And is still in use today.
Thanks Rush.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 11 users Like WitchSabrina's post
11-12-2013, 09:08 AM
(11-12-2013 08:04 AM)Kavos Wrote:  Slut has been used for a long time, just like the other two words, but nigger (nigga) and queer have been reclaimed quite successfully.

No they haven't.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-12-2013, 09:11 AM
I have been SMH over this OP...is this real or do we have another troll, or an incarnation of a previous troll?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Previous troll, Anj. One pops to mind, but hey - I like the game of hunting just as much as any other troll so I'll let the ID slide for now.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
11-12-2013, 09:44 AM
We're still busy reclaiming BITCH Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
11-12-2013, 10:16 AM
The only reclaim is NERD! It helps to have a candy to go with, I suppose. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
to reclaim it do I have to go sleeping around again ??? Unsure

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
11-12-2013, 10:34 AM
This totally touches on a subject that I'm passionate about.
Slut-shaming infuriates me. The fact that men are praised for having a high number of sexual partners and women are shamed/called derogatory names for it is ridiculous. I think it stems from the idea that women should be submissive and obedient (something that the church definitely promotes) and the myth that ALL women who have sex are doing it for emotional reasons. We're told that all women get emotionally attached when they have sex in ways that men don't, and we're taught that women who sleep with different partners/have one night stands are always doing so because they're lacking something emotionally (usually from some kind of daddy issue).
I think there are SO MANY women who are confident and who find enjoyment in having sex. Period. With as many or as few partners as they want. And there should be absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. The problem with the word slut is that it doesn't distinguish between motivation. If I'm single and I'm CHOOSING to have protected sex with a different guy every month and I leave each encounter feeling satisfied and empowered I'm still considered a slut.
I actually have no problem joking around and saying I've been a slut and I never mean it in a self-deprecating way.
I don't know if women should reclaim the word, if we should redefine it, or if we should just get rid of it altogether. What I do know is that women have the most power when it comes to the prospect of reclaiming the word because we're the ones who use it negatively about each other the most.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like QueenTit's post
11-12-2013, 11:02 AM
(11-12-2013 10:34 AM)QueenTit Wrote:  This totally touches on a subject that I'm passionate about.
Slut-shaming infuriates me. The fact that men are praised for having a high number of sexual partners and women are shamed/called derogatory names for it is ridiculous. I think it stems from the idea that women should be submissive and obedient (something that the church definitely promotes) and the myth that ALL women who have sex are doing it for emotional reasons. We're told that all women get emotionally attached when they have sex in ways that men don't, and we're taught that women who sleep with different partners/have one night stands are always doing so because they're lacking something emotionally (usually from some kind of daddy issue).
I think there are SO MANY women who are confident and who find enjoyment in having sex. Period. With as many or as few partners as they want. And there should be absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. The problem with the word slut is that it doesn't distinguish between motivation. If I'm single and I'm CHOOSING to have protected sex with a different guy every month and I leave each encounter feeling satisfied and empowered I'm still considered a slut.
I actually have no problem joking around and saying I've been a slut and I never mean it in a self-deprecating way.
I don't know if women should reclaim the word, if we should redefine it, or if we should just get rid of it altogether. What I do know is that women have the most power when it comes to the prospect of reclaiming the word because we're the ones who use it negatively about each other the most.

Exactly. The word slut is used as a weapon by men to shame women who wish to liberate themselves from gender norms. Perhaps the reason for the shaming is because so many women choose to go out every friday night half dressed, dance on tables, get blind drunk, and then go off with whoever had the tightest game that night to be used as a cum receptacle and then call that empowering, and then wonder why men don't respect them. But men don't get shamed in that way. If women wish to explore their sexuality, why is it anyone else's business? Why should women have to face judgment for their actions? This is why slut should either be used with pride, or at least use the word promiscuous with pride.