Wonder Woman & Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Wonder Woman & Religion
This post isn't necessarily about the movie. I realize we have a section for that, but what I wanted to talk about was the religious aspects of the Amazons and Wonder Woman in particular.

** (Post may contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, you might want to breeze on past this thread.)

Princess Diana was raised on an island which was the equivalent of North Korea, but slightly worse. No contact with the outside world and Diana was the only child among adult women. Essentially, she was home schooled and had no interactions with other children.

She had been told her entire life that her mother had formed her from clay and a god imbued her with life.
She accepted this as the truth.

She had been told that the Amazons were the protectors of mankind, should the god of war, Ares, ever threaten the world.

When she learns that the world has been at war for years and millions have already died, she sets out to do battle with Ares, with or without the Amazons help.
She could not stand by and do nothing.

It's at this point the veil begins to drop.
The Amazons don't seem all that interested in protecting mankind. They are more interested in protecting themselves and prefer to stay hidden on their island.

Diana sees them for what they are, selfish isolationists.

Her journey takes her to one of the front lines of the war. She battles and defeats a someone that she believed was Ares. She is in utter shock when men didn't stop fighting. Her religious view of the world and why people waged war began to break down.

She had been told that people waged war because they were influenced by the god of war. If the god of war is defeated then all people should go back to living peaceful lives.

Her worldview didn't match up with reality.

It makes me wonder if she doubted all that she had been told and yearned for any reason to leave the island and discover for herself the truth about men and mankind.

There was one other aspect of the movie that I wanted to touch on and that was bravery.

She had it in her mind that they would be recruiting great fighters that would be going with her into battle at the front lines to defeat the enemy.

What they ended up with was a small group of soldiers who had seen a lot of death all around them. They were scared at times, but kept moving forward despite how horrendous everything else was. They weren't highly trained Amazons. They were just men who fought bravely.

I couldn't help but think that Wonder Woman was a bright morning star (Lucifer) kind of character who stood up and challenged the god of war (Yawaeh).

What do you think ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
04-06-2017, 09:57 PM
RE: Wonder Woman & Religion
Gal Gadot is a stone FOX! Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-06-2017, 05:51 AM
It is an interesting parallel to religion and religious deconversion, whether intentional or not.
05-06-2017, 06:22 AM
(04-06-2017 09:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Gal Gadot is a stone FOX! Yes
rAmen, brudder

As for the plot, COMIC BOOK MOVIE.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2017, 06:48 AM
(05-06-2017 06:22 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  rAmen, brudder

Did someone say ramen?

[Image: naruto__s_ramen_by_saamy_antha.jpg]

Oh no. He's here - God
05-06-2017, 06:48 AM
(05-06-2017 06:48 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 06:22 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  rAmen, brudder

Did someone say ramen?

[Image: naruto__s_ramen_by_saamy_antha.jpg]

That ramen looks like it has food in it.
05-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Oh please, oh please, live action movie.
[Image: 5e0db37fed44123b5daee40eca6f0f49.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
05-06-2017, 06:52 AM
(05-06-2017 06:48 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That ramen looks like it has food in it.

Yeah it does.. Is that unusual

Oh no. He's here - God
05-06-2017, 06:54 AM
(05-06-2017 06:52 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 06:48 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That ramen looks like it has food in it.

Yeah it does.. Is that unusual
In the US you'll see ramen in boxes on the shelf in stores. You have to hunt for real ramen or yakisoba. Sadcryface
02-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Wonder Woman & Religion
(04-06-2017 09:09 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This post isn't necessarily about the movie. I realize we have a section for that, but what I wanted to talk about was the religious aspects of the Amazons and Wonder Woman in particular.

** (Post may contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, you might want to breeze on past this thread.)

Princess Diana was raised on an island which was the equivalent of North Korea, but slightly worse. No contact with the outside world and Diana was the only child among adult women. Essentially, she was home schooled and had no interactions with other children.

She had been told her entire life that her mother had formed her from clay and a god imbued her with life.
She accepted this as the truth.

She had been told that the Amazons were the protectors of mankind, should the god of war, Ares, ever threaten the world.

When she learns that the world has been at war for years and millions have already died, she sets out to do battle with Ares, with or without the Amazons help.
She could not stand by and do nothing.

It's at this point the veil begins to drop.
The Amazons don't seem all that interested in protecting mankind. They are more interested in protecting themselves and prefer to stay hidden on their island.

Diana sees them for what they are, selfish isolationists.

Her journey takes her to one of the front lines of the war. She battles and defeats a someone that she believed was Ares. She is in utter shock when men didn't stop fighting. Her religious view of the world and why people waged war began to break down.

She had been told that people waged war because they were influenced by the god of war. If the god of war is defeated then all people should go back to living peaceful lives.

Her worldview didn't match up with reality.

It makes me wonder if she doubted all that she had been told and yearned for any reason to leave the island and discover for herself the truth about men and mankind.

There was one other aspect of the movie that I wanted to touch on and that was bravery.

She had it in her mind that they would be recruiting great fighters that would be going with her into battle at the front lines to defeat the enemy.

What they ended up with was a small group of soldiers who had seen a lot of death all around them. They were scared at times, but kept moving forward despite how horrendous everything else was. They weren't highly trained Amazons. They were just men who fought bravely.

I couldn't help but think that Wonder Woman was a bright morning star (Lucifer) kind of character who stood up and challenged the god of war (Yawaeh).

What do you think ?

Except the God of War wasn’t really the God of war, it was the God of Truth.

I personally saw Wonder Woman themes, as the sort of soapy Christian sentiment found in Disney movies, and etc.

“It's not about "deserve". It's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.”

“I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind; but then I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. I learnt that inside every one of them there will always be both. The choice each must make for themselves — something no hero will ever defeat. And now I know... that only Love can truly save the world. So now I stay, I fight, and I give — for the world I know can be. This is my mission now. Forever.”

”only love can save the world”, is just a bastardized Christian sentiment, found commonly in the sugary moral plays of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."