Woo is woo, religious or not.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2012, 05:02 PM
RE: Woo is woo, religious or not.
(28-07-2012 04:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Damn, that is so strange to me. After extensive virus study in biology, I have to say... I'm quite proud of my pox mark. I've had little kids question it and I tell them about the pox and the vaccine; to me it's practically a modern heroic legend!

On a related side note... they have just announced a new outbreak of Ebola in Uganda has killed 14 people so far. Shocking Nothing like some good old fashioned hemorrhagic nastiness to scare the pants off ya!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/world/...ganda.html

Yes, no vaccine, no cure, 70 - 90% fatality; and an ugly fatality, too.

My anti-vaxer friend downplays the seriousness of 'common' illnesses and makes that weird claim that 'natural immunity' is better than vaccines.
Maybe she'd like to be exposed to Ebola or Marburg to gain immunity.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-07-2012, 05:04 PM
There's no effective vaccine for those though, or is there? I could google but... I'll believe you guys Tongue
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2012, 05:11 PM
(28-07-2012 05:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  There's no effective vaccine for those though, or is there? I could google but... I'll believe you guys Tongue

Nope, and no treatment beyond palliative care.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-07-2012, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2012 10:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-07-2012 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 04:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Damn, that is so strange to me. After extensive virus study in biology, I have to say... I'm quite proud of my pox mark. I've had little kids question it and I tell them about the pox and the vaccine; to me it's practically a modern heroic legend!

On a related side note... they have just announced a new outbreak of Ebola in Uganda has killed 14 people so far. Shocking Nothing like some good old fashioned hemorrhagic nastiness to scare the pants off ya!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/world/...ganda.html

Yes, no vaccine, no cure, 70 - 90% fatality; and an ugly fatality, too.

My anti-vaxer friend downplays the seriousness of 'common' illnesses and makes that weird claim that 'natural immunity' is better than vaccines.
Maybe she'd like to be exposed to Ebola or Marburg to gain immunity.Dodgy

Ah, but I bet the 10-30% that survive are now really really really fucking immune and we won't have to worry about it anymore. I can see how it could be spun into a "taking one for the team" argument for the other 70-90% of the population, until you realize that these fucking viruses are using other species as their proving grounds. They don't give a shit about us, they ain't targeting us, they're the fucking canonical example of evolutionary opportunism. In their ability to adapt and evolve rapidly, viruses are unparalleled. We are close to using that to our advantage in curing a great many maladies. Technology for the motherfucking win.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-07-2012, 10:45 PM
(28-07-2012 09:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ah, but I bet the 10-30% that survive are now really really really fucking immune and we won't have to worry about it anymore. I can see how it could be spun into a "taking one for the team" argument for the other 70-90% of the population, until you realize that these fucking viruses are using other species as their proving grounds. They don't give a shit about us, they ain't targeting us, they're the fucking canonical example of evolutionary opportunism. In their ability to adapt and evolve rapidly, viruses are unparalleled. We are close to using that to our advantage in curing a great many maladies. Technology for the motherfucking win.

Yes. That's not all we're close to. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
28-07-2012, 10:52 PM
As long as we're doin doom and gloom, did you see this crap yesterday.
http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2012/07...ing-money/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

28-07-2012, 11:03 PM
For some, only woo will do. I does not die so much as return to the void, yet who else would embrace the abyss?

Woo that is true enough, beyond the threshold of eternity is beauty for all. An hypothesis that needs not theory. Most, however... Angel

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-07-2012, 11:04 PM
(28-07-2012 10:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  As long as we're doin doom and gloom, did you see this crap yesterday.
http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2012/07...ing-money/

Sounds like old Chip needs to start each morning with a heaping helping of the ground water he says isn't contaminated. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-07-2012, 12:43 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2012 01:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-07-2012 11:03 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  For some, only woo will do. I does not die so much as return to the void, yet who else would embrace the abyss?

Woo that is true enough, beyond the threshold of eternity is beauty for all. An hypothesis that needs not theory. Most, however... Angel

That may be true. I did ask Dr. Lew if he had seen my shoe, and he said it was in the loo. I said "oh pooh". I will check with Sue, but I suspect I am too practical for your woo.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2012, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2012 03:33 AM by GirlyMan.)
(28-07-2012 11:03 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  For some, only woo will do. I does not die so much as return to the void, yet who else would embrace the abyss?

I would Brother, and I fucking do. ... like fucking regularly. That's what fucking keeps me here. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post