Woo is woo, religious or not.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2013, 04:05 PM
RE: Woo is woo, religious or not.
I support vaccines because they save lives. 55% translates into a lot of saved lives. We do know that flu vaccines are less effective on the elderly. That is why reducing the prevalence of flu on the population is the best protection for them. Especially caregivers and visitors of the elderly should be vaccinated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 04:07 PM
(09-03-2013 03:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 02:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Now you are being obtuse.

No seriously why do you support the flu vaccine after what even the CDC says about it?

Having influenza is debilitating and risky. The vaccine is nearly risk-free and has a better than even chance of preventing it or ameliorating its effects. Some flu vaccines are even more effective.

Why is that not obvious?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2013, 04:50 PM
(09-03-2013 04:05 PM)sandman Wrote:  I support vaccines because they save lives. 55% translates into a lot of saved lives. We do know that flu vaccines are less effective on the elderly. That is why reducing the prevalence of flu on the population is the best protection for them. Especially caregivers and visitors of the elderly should be vaccinated.
I am referring to the flu vaccine. How does the CDC or anyone come up with a figure like vaccines being 55 percent effective? Weren't there more flu cases this winter?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/health/us-flu-season
09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
(28-07-2012 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  AntiVaxer: OK, then it's ideological and I have the right to that belief.

ME: Others who believe that ideology supersedes science, reason, and evidence include the Westboro Baptists, Rush Limbaugh, Jerry Falwell, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Taliban, ...
Ideological? Belief? Wow. I find these concepts so repulsive that they're as good as insults. (maybe you noticed I prefer to use the term 'perception' a lot)
Good job with exposing the AV's true nature. I wonder how much did (s)he understand. I just worry that (s)he'd happily nod to everything but the Taliban, depending on the cultural background. I don't know almost anything about these people and I know Ahmadinejad has some really nice speeches in the UN.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!