Word of the Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Word of the Day
I subscribe to Merriam Websters WotD and today’s is a particularly interesting word/concept I had not heard of before so I thought it would be interesting to share.

Feel free to post whatever words strike you as worth knowing.

henotheism \HEN-uh-thee-iz-um\
noun

the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods

Examples:

"For Assyrian kings, the god Ashur … was proclaimed to be the true king, and the human king was the god's regent. In other words, in the ancient world, henotheism was a convenient method for imposing a king's rule over subject peoples: one all-powerful god means one all-powerful king as well." — A. C. Black, Canaan and Israel in Antiquity: An Introduction, 2001

"Wishing to find the roots of Jewish monotheism in the cult of Aten, Freud worked freely with ancient Egyptian henotheism: that is, the concept of the sun as one supreme divinity among many." — David Meghnagi, The International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 2014

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
24-11-2015, 08:38 AM
RE: Word of the Day
Word of the day for me is "Humility". Humility is not thinking less about yourself. It is thinking about yourself less.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
24-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Beer, that is my word of the day.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
24-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Legs. Now go out and spread the word.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Word of the Day
(24-11-2015 09:04 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Legs. Now go out and spread the word.

I wish I had spent my youth to spread this gospel instead of the Jesus gospel!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-12-2015, 03:23 PM
RE: Word of the Day (or whenever)
syzygy \SIZ-uh-jee\

Definition
noun
:
the nearly straight-line configuration of three celestial bodies (such as the sun, moon, and earth during a solar or lunar eclipse) in a gravitational system.

Great sounding word, say it fast three times. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-12-2015, 03:43 PM
ver·i·si·mil·i·tude
ˌverəsəˈmiliˌt(y)o͞od/Submit
noun
the appearance of being true or real.

As a word, it does have a strong contextual vibe to the conversation around here....but I just think it's a really fun word to say. It rolls off the tongue nicely.

Verisimilitude...yeah....Smile

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
13-12-2015, 03:51 PM
(24-11-2015 08:35 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I subscribe to Merriam Websters WotD and today’s is a particularly interesting word/concept I had not heard of before so I thought it would be interesting to share.

Feel free to post whatever words strike you as worth knowing.

henotheism \HEN-uh-thee-iz-um\
noun

the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods

Examples:

"For Assyrian kings, the god Ashur … was proclaimed to be the true king, and the human king was the god's regent. In other words, in the ancient world, henotheism was a convenient method for imposing a king's rule over subject peoples: one all-powerful god means one all-powerful king as well." — A. C. Black, Canaan and Israel in Antiquity: An Introduction, 2001

"Wishing to find the roots of Jewish monotheism in the cult of Aten, Freud worked freely with ancient Egyptian henotheism: that is, the concept of the sun as one supreme divinity among many." — David Meghnagi, The International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 2014

But the God of Exodus knew there were other Gods, He said not to have any others before him. If He (or those writing in His name) didn't believe there were others that would not have been said.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
13-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Pants is the word of the day. Down with pants!
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
13-12-2015, 03:55 PM
(13-12-2015 03:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  ver·i·si·mil·i·tude
ˌverəsəˈmiliˌt(y)o͞od/Submit
noun
the appearance of being true or real.

As a word, it does have a strong contextual vibe to the conversation around here....but I just think it's a really fun word to say. It rolls off the tongue nicely.

Verisimilitude...yeah....Smile

One of my favorite quotes that uses that word, from The Mikado:

"Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative."
[+] 3 users Like julep's post