Word of the Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 09:04 AM
RE: Word of the Day
Blimmotumomab.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2015, 09:29 AM
My favourite word from my favourite dictionary:

Taghairm, n,

divination; esp. inspiration sought by lying in a bullock's hide behind a waterfall.

This is the Chambers definition and with it I won a game of scrabble... two triple words and 50 points for using all letters.

Big Grin

Riman
the sound of a stone thrown at a boy (Arabic)

Tsujigiri
trying out a new sword on a chance passer-by (Japanese).

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-12-2015, 09:42 AM
(24-12-2015 09:06 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  aftermath \AF-ter-math\

noun

1 : a second-growth crop

2 : consequence, result

3 : the period immediately following a usually ruinous event

Examples

It was almost noon before I felt ready to face the aftermath of the previous night's festivities, and to begin cleaning up.

“In the aftermath of World War II, Tupperware parties became a popular compromise between the jobs many [American women] had grown accustomed to while American men were fighting overseas and their re-entrenched domestic obligations as wives and mothers." — Schuyler Velasco, The Christian Science Monitor, 31 Aug. 2015

I screwed up the math part of my SAT’s so badly that I fear the aftermath will include not getting into any college. Weeping

The aftermath of this, my 7,000th post, will be but an unnoticed ripple in the waters of the TTA forum. Smartass

You got it all wrong In ninth grade lunch came before English and aftermath!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
28-12-2015, 09:48 AM
(28-12-2015 09:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My favourite word from my favourite dictionary:

Taghairm, n,

divination; esp. inspiration sought by lying in a bullock's hide behind a waterfall.

Great, now I finally have a word for when I do that.

Quote:Riman
the sound of a stone thrown at a boy (Arabic)

Does it make a different sound if you throw it at a girl? Riwoman?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
28-12-2015, 01:52 PM
(28-12-2015 09:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Tsujigiri
trying out a new sword on a chance passer-by (Japanese).

Reminds me of this scene from Akira Kurasawa’s the Seven Samurai

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/20340...dsman.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-12-2015, 08:09 AM
peremptory \puh-REMP-tuh-ree\

adjective

1 : barring a right of action, debate, or delay

2 : expressive of urgency or command

3 : marked by arrogant self-assurance : haughty

EXAMPLES

The manager's peremptory rejection of any suggestions for improving office efficiency did little to inspire our confidence in his ability to help turn the company around.

“Depending on the situation, Elliott can heap upon her teammates words of encouragement or, when it's needed, she can also be peremptory." — Chris Hummer, Midland (Texas) Reporter-Telegram, November 10, 2014

On the 9/11 thread the peremptory attitude displayed by psychotichukster has gotten stale.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-12-2015, 09:04 AM
“The Pretence of Knowledge”

When mathematical equations and results are spit out by econometric models to imbue economics with a patina of scientific respectability.

Coined by Friedrich von Hayek, in his 1974 Nobel Prize lecture.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/e...cture.html

"This brings me to the crucial issue. Unlike the position that exists in the physical sciences, in economics and other disciplines that deal with essentially complex phenomena, the aspects of the events to be accounted for about which we can get quantitative data are necessarily limited and may not include the important ones. While in the physical sciences it is generally assumed, probably with good reason, that any important factor which determines the observed events will itself be directly observable and measurable, in the study of such complex phenomena as the market, which depend on the actions of many individuals, all the circumstances which will determine the outcome of a process, for reasons which I shall explain later, will hardly ever be fully known or measurable. And while in the physical sciences the investigator will be able to measure what, on the basis of a prima facie theory, he thinks important, in the social sciences often that is treated as important which happens to be accessible to measurement. This is sometimes carried to the point where it is demanded that our theories must be formulated in such terms that they refer only to measurable magnitudes.”

I have noticed that this “Pretence of Knowledge” can also be applied to our current Conspiracy Theorist. If you throw enough numbers around it does give a patina of respectability and even gravitas, however when looked at closely they are but meaningless drivel cloaked in pseudo-physics.

31-12-2015, 07:53 AM
retronym \REH-troh-nim\

noun

: a term (such as analog watch or snail mail) that is newly created and adopted to distinguish the original or older version, form, or example of something from other, more recent versions, forms, or examples.

Examples

"… first came paperback book, differentiated from a book with a cloth or leather binding, provoking the retronym hardcover book." — William Safire, The New York Times Magazine, November 18, 2007

''Nowadays we need such distinctions as free-range chickens, birth mother, natural blonde, … and manual toothbrushes. The faster we advance, the more retronyms we enlist.” — David Astle, Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald, November 1, 2014

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
02-01-2016, 07:59 AM
sic /sik/

adverb, Latin.

1. so; thus: usually written parenthetically to denote that a word, phrase, passage, etc., that may appear strange or incorrect has been written intentionally or has been quoted verbatim.

Example:

The company is selling a T-shirt for girls with the following grammatically incorrect sentence written in shiny silver print: “If your[sic] single, so am I.” [NY Daily News]

03-01-2016, 07:00 AM
inimical \in-NIM-ih-kul\

adjective

1 : being adverse often by reason of hostility or malevolence

a : having the disposition of an enemy : hostile

b : reflecting or indicating hostility : unfriendly

Examples:

The mayor's proposal received an inimical response from members of the town council.

"Profiling and other means of applying stereotypes to certain types of persons on the basis of how they appear, as opposed to how they behave, is inimical to the very foundations of our democratic republic." — Mark T. Harris, Sacramento (California) Bee, January 3, 2015

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post