Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2017, 07:06 PM
RE: Word of the Day
(15-01-2017 07:04 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 06:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  kakistocracy

:government by the worst people

Which would include a government led by an ultracrepidarian President? Wink

I believe so. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2017, 07:19 PM
I got 2 more for ya, FC. Shy

Petrichor:
The pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell.

Umami:
The fifth taste our tongue can detect. Salty, sweet, bitter, sour, umami.
The meaty, savory, taste that makes things like Marmite, or gravy, so moreish.
Scientifically, it is the taste of a chemical group called glutamates.

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
07-03-2017, 06:29 AM
syncretism

noun | SING-kruh-tiz-um

1 : the combination of different forms of belief or practice

2 : the fusion of two or more originally different inflectional forms

"The Yoruba religion was brought to Cuba by Africans from the Yoruba region…. Over time, the religion merged with Catholicism, resulting in a religious syncretism that unites the Yoruba deities (orishas) with Catholic saints."
— Abel Fernandez, The Miami Herald, 4 Jan. 2017

The ancient Greeks mainly used the term synkrētismos to describe the joining together of Greeks in opposition to a common enemy. In the early 17th century, English speakers adopted the term in the anglicized form syncretism to refer to the union of different religious beliefs. Three centuries later, lexicographers of the 1909 edition of Webster’s New International Dictionary of the English Language added a new definition of syncretism ("the union or fusion into one or two or more originally different inflectional forms, as of two cases"), but this specialized sense is rarely encountered outside of the field of linguistics. Some related terms that you might encounter are syncretize (“to attempt to unite and harmonize”), syncretist ("one who advocates syncretism"), and syncretic and syncretistic ("characterized or brought about by syncretism"). Merriam-Webster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-03-2017, 07:10 PM
hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian

It's basically self-referent. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
09-03-2017, 09:03 AM
The OED has two separate listings for THEISM. One is to do with fantasy creatires and can be floccinaucinihilipilificated but the other is useful:

theism2 Path.
(ˈθiːɪz(ə)m)
[f. mod.L. the-a tea + -ism.]

A morbid condition characterized by headache, sleeplessness, and palpitation of the heart, caused by excessive tea-drinking.

1886 Science VIII. 132 It is customary to speak of acute, subacute and chronic ‘theism’, a form that has no connection with theological matters.    1906 Daily News 14 Sept. 6 It is well to keep an eye on ‘acute caffeism’ and ‘chronic theism’.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 2 users Like Norm Deplume's post
24-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Exhaustipated (adj.)

Too tired to give a shit.

[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
24-03-2017, 10:46 PM
I started a list of words my husband mashed together...the first one, the one that made me start the list was: dramastic...somewhere between dramatic and drastic.

There have been others...Voiceterous...his description of one of our dogs. Boisterous and vocal is all I can figure out. Undecided

Sadly...I understand what he means. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-03-2017, 02:47 AM
onomatopoeia is always one of my favourites, but I can never spell it properly. Hobo

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
26-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Endogeneity

"Everyone knows that correlation doesn’t equal causation, but somehow people seem to forget. Endogeneity is a word that can help you remember. Something is endogenous when you don’t know whether it’s a cause or an effect (or both). For example, lots of people note that people who go to college tend to make more money. But how much of this is because college boosts earning power, and how much is because smarter, harder-working, better-connected people tend to go to college in the first place? It’s endogenous. The media is full of stories about how which kind of people stay married, or what diet is associated with better health. Whenever you see these stories, you should ask “What about endogeneity?”

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post