(15-01-2017 07:04 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 06:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  kakistocracy

:government by the worst people

Which would include a government led by an ultracrepidarian President? Wink

Great word, needs to be included Guley!

ultracrepidarian
[uhl-truh-krep-i-dair-ee-uh n]

adjective
1.noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside the area of his or her expertise:

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
27-03-2017, 08:48 AM
RE: Word of the Day

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-03-2017, 08:58 AM
(27-03-2017 08:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Girly...you are so fucking entertaining I just can’t stand it! Laugh out load

Did you ever play baseball? ‘Cause I’d put you to play out in left field. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-03-2017, 10:21 AM
"Enantiodromia (Ancient Greek: ἐνάντιος, enantios – opposite and δρόμος, dromos – running course) is a principle introduced by psychiatrist Carl Jung that the superabundance of any force inevitably produces its opposite. It is similar to the principle of equilibrium in the natural world, in that any extreme is opposed by the system in order to restore balance. When things get to their extreme, they turn into their opposite." Quoted from Wikipedia

As examples, think of teachers who teach kids to hate learning, leaders who lead their countries to destruction, doctors who kill their patients and so on.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
28-03-2017, 05:11 AM
(15-01-2017 07:19 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I got 2 more for ya, FC. Shy

Petrichor:
The pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell.

[Image: 30w5huh.jpg]

This popped up on my feed today... Consider hmmm....where did I just see that word?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
08-05-2017, 01:29 PM
[Image: fernweh-definition-290x200.jpg?w=700]

Fernweh

[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
08-05-2017, 01:52 PM
(08-05-2017 01:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: fernweh-definition-290x200.jpg?w=700]

Fernweh

I like that word...and it's not that strange of an idea.

After all when Monarch butterflies migrate south every year to the exact same place , it's never the same butterflies that left from that southern place the year before. Somehow the butterflies seem to remember how to get to a very specific place where they've never been.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
08-05-2017, 02:09 PM
(08-05-2017 01:52 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 01:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: fernweh-definition-290x200.jpg?w=700]

Fernweh

I like that word...and it's not that strange of an idea.

After all when Monarch butterflies migrate south every year to the exact same place , it's never the same butterflies that left from that southern place the year before. Somehow the butterflies seem to remember how to get to a very specific place where they've never been.

The closest English word I found was wanderlust.

As for the Monarchs encoded into their genes I would say.

08-05-2017, 02:34 PM
(08-05-2017 02:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 01:52 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I like that word...and it's not that strange of an idea.

The closest English word I found was wanderlust.

Wanderlust was also originally a German word, which was imported into the English language. According to Wikipedia, it is no longer used much in Germany, having been replaced by fernweh.Tongue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanderlust
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
08-05-2017, 02:55 PM
(08-05-2017 02:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 02:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The closest English word I found was wanderlust.

Wanderlust was also originally a German word, which was imported into the English language. According to Wikipedia, it is no longer used much in Germany, having been replaced by fernweh.Tongue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanderlust

Good to know.

Fernweh has a word cousin for places you long to visit, get there, and then dissapoint...

Fernmeh Big Grin

[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post