Word of the Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: Word of the Day
Made-up word but still one of my favorites:

redneckedness

Defininition not really necessary---you're all intelligent enough to draw your own conclusions. But I will use it in a sentence. (True story) My neighbor taught all his sons to pee into the bushes while standing on their back porch instead of using the commode. He is the epitome of redneckedness. ( And nothing will grow there anymore.)

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
07-07-2017, 11:26 AM
(02-01-2016 07:59 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  sic /sik/

adverb, Latin.

1. so; thus: usually written parenthetically to denote that a word, phrase, passage, etc., that may appear strange or incorrect has been written intentionally or has been quoted verbatim.

Example:

The company is selling a T-shirt for girls with the following grammatically incorrect sentence written in shiny silver print: “If your[sic] single, so am I.” [NY Daily News]
There must be an alternative definition around my neck of the woods. "Sic" is generally followed by 'em.

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
07-07-2017, 01:45 PM
I like "deliquescent".
07-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Banjaxed...... how I feel at the moment. Just got back from a five day city break in Copenhagen. Had a fantastic few days but it's now time to crash out.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
07-07-2017, 08:54 PM
(07-07-2017 11:23 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Made-up word but still one of my favorites:

redneckedness

Defininition not really necessary---you're all intelligent enough to draw your own conclusions. But I will use it in a sentence. (True story) My neighbor taught all his sons to pee into the bushes while standing on their back porch instead of using the commode. He is the epitome of redneckedness. ( And nothing will grow there anymore.)
I got a similar story. My brother and I were sitting in our town's park one night. It was around 9:00pm or so. There are houses around said park, and I noticed a door opening. Boy about the age of 12 walks out onto his porch. Bare ass naked. Stands on the edge of the porch and starts pissing. I turn my brother, and ask (pissing boy couldn't hear), "Is that naked boy actually pissing outside where everyone can see?"

Boy finishes, shakes, and then stands by the front of the porch, now facing us. He looks, realizes there are people watching. He screams and runs inside.

A. Da hell?
B. Does his family not care?
C. So much redneckedness.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
04-05-2018, 07:27 AM
flocculate

verb | FLAH-kyuh-layt

Definition :to aggregate or coalesce into small lumps or loose clusters

"Hey baby, what do you say me, you and your friend there flocculate under the umbrella? It’s starting to rain.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
04-05-2018, 08:01 AM
(04-05-2018 07:27 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  flocculate

verb | FLAH-kyuh-layt

"Hey baby, what do you say me, you and your friend there flocculate under the umbrella? It’s starting to rain.”

It'll get pretty steamy under there if they osculate while they flocculate.

My favorite new word is backronym. According to Wikipedia, this is "a constructed phrase that purports to be the source of a word that is an acronym. Backronyms may be invented with serious or humorous intent, or may be a type of false etymology or folk etymology.

"An acronym is a word derived from the initial letters of the words of a phrase:[1] For example, the word radar comes from "RAdio Detection And Ranging".[2]

"By contrast, a backronym is constructed by creating a new phrase to fit an already existing word, name, or acronym. For example, the United States Department of Justice assigns to their Amber Alert program the meaning "America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response",[3] although the term originally referred to Amber Hagerman, a 9-year-old abducted and murdered in Texas in 1996."

fudge is the only divinity that matters
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
04-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Moms impressed a few people by using the word churlish. I knew the word, but rarely see it, and it is a cool word.
13-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Hats off to adey67 for adding cockwomble to my vocabulary. I had to look that bad boy up.

14-05-2018, 07:51 AM
(04-05-2018 07:27 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  flocculate

verb | FLAH-kyuh-layt

Sweet. I now have a new way to scold my kids.

"Jane, clean up your messes! I'm sick of flocculating these oats!"

Apparently, it's impossible to make oatmeal without leaving a counter full of oats.

Edit: She'll probably think I'm swearing at her. "You clean up the fucking oats!"
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post