Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
14-09-2016, 08:15 AM
RE: Words I want to remember
(14-09-2016 06:28 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  We are born as survival systems, gathering as much data about our environment as fast as we can to fit ourselves for independence of action and thought. We are malleable but with some basic rules.

Prosey poetry to my mind. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2016, 08:16 AM
(15-09-2016 12:57 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Pray is the least they could do. The very least. If we had a scale of things that could be done. Praying would be just above shrugging the shoulders.

Well said. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-09-2016, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2016 01:05 PM by kim.)
(26-04-2016 09:28 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  ----
In the old testament, Abraham was rewarded because he was willing to sacrifice his son Isaac to god, to prove his devotion to god.

Do you think that was ethical?

It does not matter that in the story the angel stopped him. Abraham was rewarded for what he was going to do.

I think about this quite often.
Some theists might say, "Yes, this is ethical - it was a test of faith.".

I think about this when someone shouts to me I'm killing a baby, when I'm just going for my pap smear results.
I think about this when I read of some young person who has strapped on a vest full of explosives and walked into a market.

If someone needs or even condones a test of faith, they obviously have none.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
19-09-2016, 02:47 AM
If anyone here ever wonders why there's a troll-tolerance policy at TTA ... without these people we'd never get lines like:

(19-09-2016 01:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You know, thermodynamics pisses over your god beliefs. Don't need to look at anything as irrelevant to everyday life as quantum electrodynamics.

See here for the follow-up explanation

Bowing

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-09-2016, 07:53 PM
(18-09-2016 03:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  We're monkeys stuck on a rock in a gravity well orbiting a nuclear furnace in the middle of nowhere.

Gasp

Laugh out load

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
22-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Doo-wah ditty. Ditty dum. Ditty doo.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
23-09-2016, 12:14 AM
(22-09-2016 07:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(18-09-2016 03:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  We're monkeys stuck on a rock in a gravity well orbiting a nuclear furnace in the middle of nowhere.

Gasp

Laugh out load

That's a paraphrase of someone. Sagan probably. Always liked that quote Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-09-2016, 04:58 AM
(22-09-2016 07:21 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  If I am a brain in a vat at least I am not wasting my time following the book in the vat about the god of the vat.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
23-09-2016, 05:26 AM
(22-09-2016 07:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Gasp

Laugh out load

I like that one, but it's needs a good FUCKING inserted right before "nowhere". Big Grin

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2016, 06:09 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016 06:12 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(23-09-2016 05:43 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If you had taken as much LSD as Chas has you wouldn't believe your eyes either.

Reminds me of my hippie high school art teacher. We called him 'Mr. Whoa', and he was convinced he invented fluffernutter sandwiches.

It's mashmallow fluff and peanut butter, and it's fucking amazing. Drooling

[Image: fluffernutter-2.jpg]

Still, not invented by my stoner art teacher, but kinda indicative of his prior LSD intake. Laughat

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]