Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
21-02-2017, 05:31 PM
RE: Words I want to remember
(21-02-2017 04:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-02-2017 03:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Look back at post 1172 - you're slowing down old man...err...I mean great minds and all that. Blush

But you didn't click on mine didya? Mine's fancier (in some undefined way). Tongue

It's not often but sometimes certain people's words, are worth repeating. Big Grin

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2017, 11:43 AM
(21-02-2017 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ---- Anything you do for eternity sounds like hell. Even eternal bliss would become hell by like Tuesday. The temporariness and impermanence of the experience is what gives it meaning. If it's just one more memory in an infinite sea of memories acquired over all of eternity it don't mean much. Hell is eternal anything, it's eternal being, eternal existence. Your heaven is very much my idea of hell.
Would you care for some tea?

See? Girly is God. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
23-02-2017, 07:36 AM
(23-02-2017 12:10 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Ultimately, all any religious person is doing is adding an argument from authority to their own morality.

Yup, pretty much nails it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-02-2017, 10:22 AM
(23-02-2017 05:08 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  There is nothing more dangerous to a Christian than an informed Atheist.

^^This^^ Thumbsup

**rushes off to ye olde bumper sticker factory**

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-02-2017, 02:15 PM
(23-02-2017 10:17 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If you'll take a piece of free advice, worth every penny...

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
24-02-2017, 12:58 PM
(24-02-2017 10:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Premise: all horses are brown
Premise: X is a horse
Conclusion: from premise 1 and 2 follows that X is brown
However, suppose that X in fact isn't brown, but white (meaning that either X isn't a horse - premise 2 is false -, or not all horses are brown - premise 1 is false).

The reasoning leading to the conclusion is logically valid, it's a valid reasoning, but the conclusion is not true, because we started with false premises.

Logic
Learn it
Live it
Thumbsup

24-02-2017, 01:19 PM
(24-02-2017 12:58 PM)Alla Wrote:  This is what my atheist father taught me to do. He was one of the best programmers in the Soviet Union. He was great mathematician. He worked on theory of graphs, and simple numbers (I am not sure if this is how it calls in English). So I asked him once when I was about 12 years old. How do you know in relatively short period of time how to write the program for a process that you never knew about before? He told me this: "I am asking right questions. It is very important to ask right questions."
I don't know why this words impressed me a lot. I could never forget those words. I never asked him though how he knew what questions were right

Shy

27-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by unfogged:

Quote:Your entire post seems like an explosion in a non-sequitur factory.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like ukatheist's post
28-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Point is that when you go looking you have no rights as to what you will see. - Diagonal Man

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-03-2017, 08:25 PM
(01-03-2017 03:33 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  ---
The thing is, you don't need to indoctrinate someone to produce an atheist. You just don't indoctrinate them not to be one.

Yep. Shy