Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
04-04-2017, 01:23 PM
RE: Words I want to remember
(04-04-2017 01:03 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 10:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  “One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.” - Wack Jack the Dharma Bum Smile

"It is by a mathematical point only that we are wise, as the sailor or the fugitive slave keeps the pole-star in his eye; but that is sufficient guidance for all our life. We may not arrive at our port within a calculable period, but we would preserve the true course." -- Henry Thoreau, Walden

Hey! How long do have to wear that albatross around your neck?! Good show, BTW! Nice name pick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
04-04-2017, 03:28 PM
From an automotive site I frequent, where there is a huge contingent of christ punchers:

Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence.
With no natural predators to thin the herd...
it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most...
and left the intelligent to become an endangered species
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
07-04-2017, 05:35 AM
(07-04-2017 01:57 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yeah, God "plans" us to all be disgusting evil creatures so he can save us. Hero complex?

I love this! Yes

I've been having rather infuriating (well, annoying at least) discussions on suffering and why on earth should we need suffering to learn, couldn't that gozo (god + bozo) have created a universe where we learn through, I don't know, researching and, reading, and exploring stuff Dodgy

Also, there is this joker (as in would-be comedian-cum-pastor or some such creep) here and my landlady really likes him, so I opened one of his books... the motto or whatever was "When suffering knocks on the door, it's better to open." Being the contrarian that I am, I did the exact opposite, closed the book and didn't throw it across the room only because a) it's not mine and b) my room is tiny Rolleyes

But learning through suffering for-freaking-sooth!

[Image: superhero-jesus-superhero-church-superhe...196699.jpg]

I. Can't. Even! Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
07-04-2017, 10:33 AM
(07-04-2017 07:33 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  "nothingness" compared to, what, "something"? If there is nothingness and somethingness, then nothingness is not infinite.

(and on a side note, fuck you for making me type something that stupid.)

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-04-2017, 12:09 PM
(08-04-2017 10:53 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 10:43 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Something doesn't add up.

There it is. The epitaph of religion.

[Image: tombstone_1.jpg]

RIP*

*Rot in pieces

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 8 users Like Vera's post
09-04-2017, 10:47 AM
(09-04-2017 06:05 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The problem with IDiocy is that we don't have a clear purpose. You know what a 747 does, you know what a watch does; you never know WTF a human's gonna do.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
11-04-2017, 03:52 PM
(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The mistake these often misguided and well-meaning religious peoples make (much like the individual who hijacked your thread) is that they refuse to engage in the lighter sections of the forum. They don't want see us as humans but rather to justify their own sense of superiority and prejudice against us. If they took the time to engage us as people and share their thoughts on for example movies they love or whatever, we become different to them and I think with many that terrifies them. That's really about their fear and not about us.

QFT ^ Way to go Moms.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
12-04-2017, 12:24 AM
(12-04-2017 12:03 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The idea of prayer is messed up in so many ways. It's kind of like God has nodded off and you nudge him.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 03:24 PM
(12-04-2017 03:15 PM)Dr H Wrote:  And capitalism is predicated on a myth: that perpetual growth is a) possible, and b) a good thing. Perpetual growth is cancer.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 03:40 PM
(12-04-2017 03:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Almost like someone forgot that satan is god's attorney. Dodgy

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post