Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
01-02-2018, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 08:02 PM by Kaneda.)
RE: Words I want to remember
From the William Lane Craig and Coherent Worldviews Thread:

(29-01-2018 08:58 AM)mordant Wrote:  The typical worldview of atheists doesn't come from atheism; atheism usually comes from the typical worldview. That is the worldview of the skeptic and empiricist. Other things that might lead a person to be an atheist (and which tend to be less enduring or more prone to (re)conversion) include indifference / ignorance toward the existence of gods, atheism based on entirely faulty premises, etc. But these are relatively rare. Anyone explicitly embracing the label and social approbation that goes with atheism, even in limited contexts, usually has made the effort to think it through philosophically.

Something I was giving a bit of thought to when I was making my de-conversion. Mordant worded it better than I could have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Kaneda's post
02-02-2018, 11:44 AM
(02-02-2018 11:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ---
There exists no moral concept that exists in a rock.
Where is it that your "objective morality" is enshrined ?
---

I like this. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-02-2018, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2018 12:17 AM by Kaneda.)
(22-02-2016 10:48 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  But investment experts pontificating on the latest or next market moves are simply the modern day equivalent of prehistory shamans, high on drugs and low on effective prophesy. They have as much chance of predicting the next market earthquake as their ancient counterparts did, and at least the shamans had the consolation of getting high.

Pulled one from the vault, 'cause it's a bit of timeless, incisive commentary...

...though I'm pretty sure today's economists have plenty of ways to get high, too.
14-02-2018, 07:52 AM
(14-02-2018 06:53 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  The fairest system is not resource based. It's merit based.
Work hard and reap the rewards.
Don't and you won't.
Nobody is gonna let you starve or die in the street but beyond that it's all on you.
That's as fair as it gets.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
15-02-2018, 01:02 PM
In response to the notion of an "atheist god" ...
(14-02-2018 09:56 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I suppose there is a Santa Claus for people who don't believe in Santa Claus, too.

That's fantastic.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be using some form of this. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
23-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Truth doesn't need protecting from questions. - Robvalue

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Cunnilingus...because it just rolls off the tongue.

Disappointing theists since 1968
26-02-2018, 09:17 AM
(24-02-2018 07:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  in the face of a now evolutionary obsolete and quickly receding flash flood of testosterone.

Like I am wont to say (only slightly jokingly), the sea of testosterone is a cruel mistress. And the world's been drowning in it for way too long. Obsolete, indeed, Girly Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-02-2018, 03:18 PM
The only difference I can see between the genius and the madman is that one rolls with the demons possessing them and the other gets rolled by them.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-02-2018, 03:45 PM
(26-02-2018 03:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The only difference I can see between the genius and the madman is that one rolls with the demons possessing them and the other gets rolled by them.

Yabut... which is which?

Unsure

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post