Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
26-02-2018, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2018 06:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Words I want to remember
(26-02-2018 03:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-02-2018 03:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The only difference I can see between the genius and the madman is that one rolls with the demons possessing them and the other gets rolled by them.

Yabut... which is which?

Unsure

And who is who?

You'll have to do better than that to catch me napping, old man. Wink

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-02-2018, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2018 11:11 AM by Kaneda.)
This kind of summed up my feelings last year when the Senate passed their sick joke of a tax bill. It’s a little lengthy for a quote, but I think it sort of needs to be to get the message home. There’s a lot of sincere emotional heft in this, and it does a great job of contemplating just what the fuck is wrong with our elected officials in this day.

RocketSurgeon also had a paragraph in here where be laid a fair amount of blame on the voters who enable these psychopaths year after year, and never bat an eye when they carry out actions that hurt the poor and the struggling, and bear no resemblance to the values they preach in their faith.

Yeah, it’s an earful, but it’s something I would like to remember every time I get wind that someone with power and influence is actively working to make the world a worse place. Here’s the post in full:

(23-06-2017 10:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Geezus, Shai... with those pics of the protesters in the wheelchairs being manhandled. It just turns my stomach.

I so often see what the GOP is doing and wonder to myself if these people really are soulless (in the secular sense of the term, anyway)... but it's just so hard to believe that people can really be so calloused toward their fellow human beings, so sold out to corporate greed-interests that they would treat their fellow Americans this way because they object to the way it is being done, and to what is being done-- to them!

But the evidence is just piling up and overflowing the bin to the point that now, I keep endlessly thinking of the stories I read in college, about how the Germans after WW2, when asked why they said/did nothing to stop the concentration camps their country was running, replied that they had heard about what was going on and knew the camps were there... but that it was just unfathomable to them that the stories of what their leaders were doing were really as bad as they sounded. They simply couldn't internalize the reality of the cruelty and indifference of their leadership to human suffering and death.

I'm not saying the GOP are Nazis or really even saying the German populace was directly to blame; even the Allied leadership thought the same thing, at least for the majority of the war, when they heard the stories-- you hear of human indifference and depravity on this scale, and simply want to dismiss it as impossible or at least severely exaggerated. It took seeing it for themselves, in person, before the US Generals started sending reports back, "Yep, it's as bad as it sounded and worse."

I get it-- the GOP are not only bought-and-sold, but they genuinely believe that "The Business of America is Business" and that their ideas about "rising tide lifts all boats"/Trickle-Down Economics somehow haven't been disproved by all the times it was tried before to spectacular failure. They really think that by helping the super-rich get richer, it will make the nation better, and they're willing to overlook the failures of prior attempts to make the wealthy man's greed-based ideology a reality. That's because, I think, it wasn't a failure, to them and their donors. It works just fine for the people it's designed to help... even if the side effects include crashed economies that devastate the middle class and literally end the lives of those at the weakest end of the spectrum. When you have great stored-up wealth, a depressed phase of the economy allows you to buy up more stuff for when the markets re-surge, and the super-wealthy become the hyper-wealthy.

What makes me sick is that they can only do these things because the people who claim to be Christians, in this hyper-Christian nation, are the most ardent supporters of those predatory Lovers of Money at the root of all this evil. They believe the propaganda and turn to spit on the struggling, working poor... like they are willing to turn a blind eye to the deaths of tens of thousands of the weakest members of our society, who depend on society to keep them alive... all while claiming to be "Pro-Life".

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm just so fed up with it. The endless cycle of abuse would be somehow tolerable if it was the norm in the rest of the world... but it's not. It's just us. I want to love this country, to be proud of "my" country... but we are becoming evil actors in pretty much every measurable category, from treatment of poverty to prisoners, and with the blessing and even cheerleading of those who claim to follow the man who said what we do to "the least of these", we do to him, and who said to take care of the poor and the prisoner. Why are the Secular Humanists seemingly the ones who are left to object?

I'm sick to my stomach, genuinely, as I write this. It is literally nauseating to me.

I think I need to go to bed.

I didn’t know RS76 too well, but looking back, he definitely put in some gripping, incisive posts in his time here. What ever happened to the guy?
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
28-02-2018, 02:13 PM
(28-02-2018 11:07 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  I didn’t know RS76 too well, but looking back, he definitely put in some gripping, incisive posts in his time here. What ever happened to the guy?

As far as I understand it, he was upset over some of his treatment here, and the fact that some of us whom he considered friends did not speak in his defence. It was bad juju.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-03-2018, 12:29 PM
(02-03-2018 11:09 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ... don't be afraid of butt stuff. Confused

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
07-03-2018, 08:33 AM
(07-03-2018 05:50 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  when massacres lose the right to be called tragedies due to their frequency.
Undecided

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-03-2018, 11:03 PM
I saw Thump reference this excerpt from Macbeth not too long ago, and now I wanted to leave it here.

Yes, it’s been heard plenty of times before, and I don’t know if it technically makes the cut here, but hell with it. These words never fail to send the chills down my spine.

Quote:”This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

Macbeth, Act V, Scene 5

Thank you Thump, for invoking Shakespeare tonight. The context you used him in was truly epic. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
08-03-2018, 03:12 PM
(08-03-2018 01:31 PM)‘docskeptic Wrote:  ...when Saul conjured up the prophet Samuel through the medium of the Witch of Endor...

The Bible summed up in its entirety.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-03-2018, 08:00 PM
(09-03-2018 11:07 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So the constitution is pretty clear, stupid has a right to speak and people have the right to protest stupid.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
22-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Laugh out load
(22-03-2018 09:34 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ----
You should change your name to prolapsethebuilder because you pull so much out of your ass that it probably is inverted by now.

Sometimes, wading through shit, is worth it. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
28-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Onomatopoeia.

Disappointing theists since 1968