Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
28-11-2013, 06:22 AM
RE: Words I want to remember
"HA! Who have they caught? Who has been caught? If anybody, you people would know! If they caught someone wouldn't they brag about it? That's all would hear about."

- Jesse Ventura ranting on the TSA and question if higher airport security helps catch terrorists

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
(24-11-2013 07:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The question of God is irrelevant to Girly. It's at least two steps in front of the real issue of the postmortem preservation of identity. Dualism's bullshit. I will not survive my death. There is no tenable, plausible, or even imaginable mechanism of action where I will survive my death. I am not an atheist because it's irrelevant to even consider a God when dualism is untenable. I am not anti-theist for the same reason. I am not even anti-religion as long as you ain't being an asshole trying to sell me some untenable, implausible, unimaginable snake oil bullshit. This is why I got no problem with the Calvinist KingsChosen. He ain't selling shit and readily admits to not having a clue about the postmortem preservation of identity. I am anti-bullshit promises, however. I am areligious. My own personal Jesus. My own personal Lord and Savior, the temporary and transitory embodiment of The Word. Like Jesus. Tongue

Fuckin' A, Girly. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
(30-11-2013 12:42 PM)Question Wrote:  It's not wise to trust your mind anyway, it tends to make shit up to make you happy.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-12-2013, 08:31 PM
(01-12-2013 08:57 AM)LostCyborg Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 08:52 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Boring ass bible...

It was boring enough when I was a believer. Now at least it is a bit comical. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
(03-12-2013 12:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 12:39 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I thought KC is a theist?
He is. We're working on removing the space.

Morondog: the ever clever bastard. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 10 users Like kim's post
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
"Finn? Finn! You butt-chicken!"

[Image: 9f6.gif]
05-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Reading some sci-fi, I came upon this quote:

"To never harbor self-doubt is poison for the soul and these aliens want to inflict their certainties upon us."
Charles Stross, Accelerando
(It's not a jab at Christians as you might think, actually I noticed this quote inspired by the "philosopher" Stefan Molyneux, who is for a large part correct and successful a thinker, doing a great job helping people. But it seems to me he invented his own language and this language has a self-contained logically interlocking set of meaningful concepts that interlock seamlessly. He has achieved a perfect internal consistency of language and he elevated internal consistency to the highest standard of truth. Consequently, counter-arguments can not even be expressed in his language, he will always be correct. This has the only downside, that he will be severely limited in the ability of problem-solving in some areas and will not even realize it. People think their languages are the reality itself. And they do not notice when someone else uses a different "language", they simply think the other person is stupid and talking trash. Every word has an underlying combination of meanings and some ideologies share the word, but not the exact mix of meanings. By defining our own words and meaning-mix, we manipulate our own thought, or what are we able to perceive of reality, thus what are we able to recognize a a problem and solve. By not looking into the underlying meaning-mix of concepts, we imprison ourselves in our little world. For Molyneux that is not a problem yet, he's actually a great guy and taught me a lot, but that's my caveat when listening to him. And listening to him, that I recommend.
I can only congratulate myself grimly that I have noticed this language trap, this is mostly thanks to reading Thomas Kuhn's famous book Structure of scientific revolutions, which would probably shake this forum deeply.)

(01-12-2013 07:48 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 07:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The question of God is irrelevant to Girly. It's at least two steps in front of the real issue of the postmortem preservation of identity. Dualism's bullshit. I will not survive my death. There is no tenable, plausible, or even imaginable mechanism of action where I will survive my death. I am not an atheist because it's irrelevant to even consider a God when dualism is untenable. I am not anti-theist for the same reason. I am not even anti-religion as long as you ain't being an asshole trying to sell me some untenable, implausible, unimaginable snake oil bullshit. This is why I got no problem with the Calvinist KingsChosen. He ain't selling shit and readily admits to not having a clue about the postmortem preservation of identity. I am anti-bullshit promises, however. I am areligious. My own personal Jesus. My own personal Lord and Savior, the temporary and transitory embodiment of The Word. Like Jesus. Tongue

Fuckin' A, Girly. Yes
In my experience, the mechanism of post-mortem preservation of identity is there and it works on autopilot. But what we can do is to live like our personal Jesus, Lord and Savior, living up to the Word we embody. That really puts the post-mortem preservation to good use. If you know that, you don't need to spend years trying to check up on the mechanism directly, like I did. And it is an esoterically deeply correct statement, Girly summed it up really well. Girly:1, KC:0.
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post
06-12-2013, 12:22 AM
(05-12-2013 09:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  In my experience, the mechanism of post-mortem preservation of identity is there and it works on autopilot. But what we can do is to live like our personal Jesus, Lord and Savior, living up to the Word we embody. That really puts the post-mortem preservation to good use. If you know that, you don't need to spend years trying to check up on the mechanism directly, like I did. And it is an esoterically deeply correct statement, Girly summed it up really well. Girly:1, KC:0.

I'm sorry, you're saying "I know it's there, just trust me." ? That's daft. What the hell is 'esoterically correct' ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-12-2013, 12:37 AM
(06-12-2013 12:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  What the hell is 'esoterically correct' ?

Whatever you'd like it to be. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-12-2013, 12:48 AM
(06-12-2013 12:37 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 12:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  What the hell is 'esoterically correct' ?

Whatever you'd like it to be. Drinking Beverage

I'd like it to be a fit, intelligent woman with medium sized boobs?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post