Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
30-01-2015, 05:04 PM
RE: Words I want to remember
(30-01-2015 04:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 12:13 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  They deliver thoughts of reason like a nail gun to the testicles!

You're just not quite right in the head. No

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 08:59 PM
(03-02-2015 08:49 PM)unfogged Wrote:  The price of theism is giving up intellectual honesty for easy answers.

Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-02-2015, 10:36 AM
(08-03-2012 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There's a bunch of sigs around here I want an easy place to find and record 'cause they can change on the member's whim.

"It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be." - Talladega Tom
Um, yup.

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. --John 14:1" - Egor Coming from Egor who is making a quixotic, narcissistic attempt to invent and disseminate his own metaphysics, that is like some seriously blatently ballsy proselytization. So kudos for that. [Image: bravo-7466.gif] ... On the flip side we have Bob 1:1, "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in ye, believe also in we." ... Of course Bob's always had his own problems getting past the premise so there ain't no Bob 1:2. Wink

There was another one I saw today which went something like

"I wasn't ... until I was.
I am ... until I'm not." - free2011
"Birth, copulation, and death."

EDIT: Found it. It's from free2011.

"WHAT YOU DO IN THIS LIFE, ECHOES FOR ALL OF ETERNITY" !
06-02-2015, 10:40 AM
unfogged Wrote:
The price of theism is giving up intellectual honesty for easy answers. QUOTE

Either Nothing created our personal Universe from nothing, or,
Someone created our personal Universe from nothing. Looking at the after-effects, which would seem more intellectually honest ?
06-02-2015, 11:24 AM
(06-02-2015 10:40 AM)QuasiAtheist Wrote:  
unfogged Wrote:The price of theism is giving up intellectual honesty for easy answers.

Either Nothing created our personal Universe from nothing, or,
Someone created our personal Universe from nothing. Looking at the after-effects, which would seem more intellectually honest ?

Why "someone"? That's assuming the conclusion as part of the premise.
Why assume that our universe isn't the result of whatever happened to a previous universe or wasn't caused by something in another universe? Why assume that it had to be creation ex nihilo? Why assume we know enough to determine that "a universe from nothing" and "god" are the only 2 possible answers?

We don't know how our universe formed, at least not yet. If you just jump to "had to be a god" then you aren't being honest, you are just covering up an area of ignorance with a guess.

This isn't the right place to continue the discussion though. If you wish to pursue it I suggest starting a new thread.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-02-2015, 11:45 AM
(06-02-2015 11:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 10:40 AM)QuasiAtheist Wrote:  Either Nothing created our personal Universe from nothing, or,

Why "someone"? That's assuming the conclusion as part of the premise.
Why assume that our universe isn't the result of whatever happened to a previous universe or wasn't caused by something in another universe? Why assume that it had to be creation ex nihilo? Why assume we know enough to determine that "a universe from nothing" and "god" are the only 2 possible answers?

We don't know how our universe formed, at least not yet. If you just jump to "had to be a god" then you aren't being honest, you are just covering up an area of ignorance with a guess.

This isn't the right place to continue the discussion though. If you wish to pursue it I suggest starting a new thread.

Because personal and intelligent after-effects by way of specified complexity ONLY come from a Being with a Mind, Will, and ability to pull it all off. The multiverse theory is just plain speculation and doesn't deal with the reality we have ; furthermore, pure blind chance is never an instrument that can give us animate from the inaminate and if One functioning Universe with personal entities require a personal cause then so do additional universes . Lastly, where did the FIRST universe come from ?!

Its either God or Nothing as the Cause because it wasn't Matter since matter didn't exist in the very beginning --- it too was created .

We DO know what kind of Cause would have to make our Universe by considering the effects left over from the creation event. , using scientific scrutiny. Even many agnostic / atheist Cosmologists are identifying the first Cause as being of intelligence. You don't have a personal problem if God exists do you ?

Im always willing to pursue such weighty issues in the correct format and would welcome a new thread .
06-02-2015, 12:14 PM
(06-02-2015 11:45 AM)QuasiAtheist Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 11:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Why "someone"? That's assuming the conclusion as part of the premise.

Because personal and intelligent after-effects by way of specified complexity ONLY come from a Being with a Mind, Will, and ability to pull it all off. The multiverse theory is just plain speculation and doesn't deal with the reality we have ; furthermore, pure blind chance is never an instrument that can give us animate from the inaminate and if One functioning Universe with personal entities require a personal cause then so do additional universes . Lastly, where did the FIRST universe come from ?!

Its either God or Nothing as the Cause because it wasn't Matter since matter didn't exist in the very beginning --- it too was created .

We DO know what kind of Cause would have to make our Universe by considering the effects left over from the creation event. , using scientific scrutiny. Even many agnostic / atheist Cosmologists are identifying the first Cause as being of intelligence. You don't have a personal problem if God exists do you ?

Im always willing to pursue such weighty issues in the correct format and would welcome a new thread .

Dude, really, make a new thread. This doesn't belong here.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
06-02-2015, 07:43 PM
"You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they'll be comforted to know your energy's still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly. Amen."

Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
08-02-2015, 08:26 PM
(08-02-2015 11:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Given that disassociatives have been a staple of mine of decades, I'm going with the latter. Disassociation is easy. It's reattachment that's the bitch.

Blink

Laugh out load

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-02-2015, 12:49 AM
(10-02-2015 12:35 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ...
thinky-thinky bits

Laugh out load

tickled my funny buds for some reason Smile