Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
13-05-2012, 11:45 AM
RE: Words I want to remember
“I’ve been all over the world, my boy, and everywhere I go they tell me about the true god. They all think they’ve found the right one. The one true god is between a woman’s legs.” - Salladhor Saan-Game Of Thrones

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Captured by Vosur:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-05-2012, 08:26 PM
He pinched his temples with his fingers, as though a piece of rusty wire were twisting inside his head.

Rusty wire in the brain. I know all about that. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-05-2012, 10:16 PM
(14-05-2012 08:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  He pinched his temples with his fingers, as though a piece of rusty wire were twisting inside his head.

That is an image worth remembering. Big Grin

(14-05-2012 08:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Rusty wire in the brain. I know all about that. Big Grin

Duct tape and WD-40 can fix almost everything. ... At least for a bit. Wink

17-05-2012, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 09:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
"Perfecting oneself is as much unlearning as it is learning." - Edsger Dijkstra

"Probably I am very naive, but I also think I prefer to remain so, at least for the time being and perhaps for the rest of my life" - Edsger Dijkstra

"We must be very careful when we give advice to younger people: sometimes they follow it!"- Edsger Dijkstra

18-05-2012, 03:19 AM
So it's half past too fucking early, and Filox and pppgggr are bumping skulls about weed, when pppgggr goes;

Quote: I have no evidence, and I'm too lazy to read yours, and thus I do not have a sufficient arguement for myself. I'm not an expert, and thus I should not act like one.
This from a thirteen year old. Wisdom of the ancients. There is hope for humanity after all. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-05-2012, 12:57 AM
What, he is really thirteen? Damn, shouldn't have talked about weed with thirteen year old people. Gotta remember this in the future, check the birth date first, than talk stupid/smart... Bad Filox, bad!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
22-05-2012, 07:13 AM
(22-05-2012 12:57 AM)Filox Wrote:  What, he is really thirteen? Damn, shouldn't have talked about weed with thirteen year old people. Gotta remember this in the future, check the birth date first, than talk stupid/smart... Bad Filox, bad!

Smile
Your punishement is you have to send your weed over in apology to the lad.......a peace offering.......actually no hold on...... Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
22-05-2012, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 07:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-05-2012 06:06 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Some people use religion as a drug, the way others use alcohol and heroin (per the Lenin quote GirlyMan gave above)--it deadens your senses and makes you numb to your suffering and the suffering of others. Maybe it's true that religious people really are happier--I don't know. But even if they are, it doesn't matter: mindless happiness is not the point of life.

I have no idea what the point of life is, but I got a laundry list of what it ain't. The older I get, the more I throw into the "what it ain't" bucket. There are very few keepers. Wink

22-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Glad you found that meaningful, GM.

Here's a more complete expression of the idea, from Walter Kaufmann's The Faith of a Heretic (1961), the book that meant the most to me in college and probably has influenced me like no other.

Quote:Aldous Huxley created a deliberately nightmarish Utopia in Brave New World (1932). His point was that we are on the best way toward creating a society of happy imbeciles, and that we might yet achieve a society in which everybody would be happy at a slightly subhuman level. Would anything be wrong with that? Many of us hope and think that, human nature being what it is, freedom and the fullest possible development of man's creative powers, in a society based on justice, mercy, and humility, would promote the greatest possible happiness. . . . But suppose that it were possible to ensure the greatest possible happiness of the greatest possible number either by having recourse to a few injustices or by reducing man's creative powers, whether by drugs that reduced men to blissful imbecility or by operations that reduced their intelligence. What then?

[H]appiness, however important, is not the ultimate consideration . . . It would be an impermissible betrayal to sell our birthright for a mess of bliss . . .

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post