Words I want to remember

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
19-06-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: Words I want to remember
(19-06-2014 08:17 AM)sporehux Wrote:  ...
Can't put a value on prayer failure, Oh wait, yes you can ,its = $245.3 million.

Clap

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-06-2014, 05:48 PM
(22-06-2014 05:22 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ---
... Mom thinks this, and here's why, and I think this, and here's why, and other people think yet something else different.

In the end, the child learns that there are multiple answers to life's questions, and the child will keep the answers for which there is proof. Do not be afraid for the child to learn about religion, for it's only when they learn about it that it's shallowness shows.

Succinct. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
22-06-2014, 06:46 PM
(13-06-2014 09:25 AM)kim Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 08:05 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I have heard an interesting thing. Right-wingers are for smaller government, but they say that submission to God is necessary to keep the society together. Lefties are in general less believers in God, but there must be the big state that everyone obeys and that re-distributes money to healthcare, welfare and so on. So it seems to me each side has their god, one is supernatural, one isn't. Well, maybe the supernatural one would be cheaper, if it wasn't so enmeshed with the other one.

And lo it came to pass... Lumi did light the way. Angel
I have said the same many times, yet to no avail. I wondered what made the difference. It must have been right words, right time, and right person.

I love to make sense of the world. Making sense means connecting the dots of isolated facts into a picture that tells much more than a sum of the dots. Natural sciences makes sense and gives us a great power, understanding and control of the natural world. One of the greatest things I learned was to demand no less from the social world. If natural things don't "just happen", social things should be even less so. We are not just walking monkeys, we are walking organic computers and we are prone to Trojan viruses. Atheists have just one virus less. Someone without viruses must be deemed mad, yet if removal of one virus brings you joy and liberation, why not one more virus less? Well, maybe because it is an extreme sport Wink

25-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Part parody, part rant... fully awesome!

(25-06-2014 04:09 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ...
I never said a damn fucking thing about language you asshole piece of fucking shit. I don't give one fuck about what fucking language you fucking use. Fucking swear all the fuck you want and fucking see if I fucking care. It's a false fucking accusation assclown and that's what happens when you fucking quote people and then fucking dishonestly replace what they actually fucking said with your stupid shit reinterpretation of it. But since you brought the fucking subject up asshole, maybe you should take a fucking good look at what I'm fucking writing here. You may fucking think it makes you fucking look cool or fucking smart, but it obviously sounds damn stupid and fucking immature you cunt!

Drinking Beverage

No prizes for guessing who it was aimed at.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
25-06-2014, 11:22 PM
(25-06-2014 11:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Part parody, part rant... fully awesome!

(25-06-2014 04:09 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ...
I never said a damn fucking thing about language you asshole piece of fucking shit. I don't give one fuck about what fucking language you fucking use. Fucking swear all the fuck you want and fucking see if I fucking care. It's a false fucking accusation assclown and that's what happens when you fucking quote people and then fucking dishonestly replace what they actually fucking said with your stupid shit reinterpretation of it. But since you brought the fucking subject up asshole, maybe you should take a fucking good look at what I'm fucking writing here. You may fucking think it makes you fucking look cool or fucking smart, but it obviously sounds damn stupid and fucking immature you cunt!

Drinking Beverage

No prizes for guessing who it was aimed at.

Tartarus Sauce? Consider

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
30-06-2014, 10:28 PM
(28-06-2014 01:00 AM)Charis Wrote:  Call me cold, but I like cold, hard evidence. There is a comfort there. A solidity, a surety. There is no condemnation for having a spirit of unbelief, because cold hard evidence does not require faith. I offend no god by asking the "wrong questions."

BowingBowingBowing

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-07-2014, 11:55 AM
(04-07-2014 10:33 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Since you don't know how it works, I fail to see why your opinion should be privileged.

This is an important subtlety which often causes my own eyes to glaze over when speaking with anyone who has an unsupported opinion. It's especially frustrating with theists. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-07-2014, 12:54 PM
(17-07-2014 09:45 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  If you swindled billions of people into believing a lie, it doesn't change the fact that they're believing a lie. Truth is not measured by the number of people that believe in it.

Yes

[+] 3 users Like kim's post
20-07-2014, 03:14 PM
(20-07-2014 02:58 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Quick Addendum: Here's a tip for all you budding apologetic out there. If you think you have a solid, knock-em-dead, easily-obliterate-atheism argument, don't hide it in an obscure link at the end of a "choose your own adventure" obstacle course of puerile and fallacious logic. Put it boldly out in the open. Lead with your best shot. Don't swaddle it with inaccessibility. Put it out there where anyone can tear it to shreds, because if an argument CAN be torn to shreds, it SHOULD be, and you will be a better apologist and a clearer thinker for putting some skin in the game and learning at the school of hard knocks. Besides, you wouldn't want to honor your "god of truth" with rhetorical falsehoods and con jobs, would you?

Goddamn Cool

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Words I Want to Forget Anjele 12 176 23-05-2014 05:45 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Your Day In Three Words Sam 125 1,208 01-04-2014 05:31 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  when you need those words for a grieving friend Bows and Arrows 1 48 24-03-2014 12:44 PM
Last Post: Blackhand293
  words Dom 2 96 29-01-2014 08:19 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Anyone here old enough to remember the JFK assassination? dancefortwo 11 315 23-11-2013 12:49 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Remember Game Shows? Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 14 374 09-07-2013 12:07 PM
Last Post: ridethespiral
  Words With Friends Topic kingschosen 132 3,033 27-05-2013 02:28 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys