"Words have different meanings..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 10:22 AM
"Words have different meanings..."
The title of this thread was the exact words that a religious co-worker said to me when I pointed out this contradiction between Genesis 22:1 and James 1:13 regarding the God tempting people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SkepticalDaniel's post
02-06-2016, 10:26 AM
RE: "Words have different meanings..."
as needed to work around inconsistency.
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Tell them an omniscient god would have been able to foresee that problem, an omnipotent god would have had the ability to fix that problem and an omnibenevolent god would have wanted to fix that problem.

Otherwise, his beloved children wouldn't know what the fuck he was talking about, thus damning them to eternal torment. 'Cause he loves them.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
(02-06-2016 10:22 AM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  The title of this thread was the exact words that a religious co-worker said to me when I pointed out this contradiction between Genesis 22:1 and
regarding the God tempting people.

Words can have different meanings but that's not a sufficient response. They would need to explain what the different meanings are.

Genesis 22:1
And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said to him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

James 1:13
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempts he any man:

I don't know of any definitions that would make this not a contradiction.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-06-2016, 11:21 AM
It looks like the meaning is pretty clear. Tell him to go read the original untranslated texts and then he can start arguing about the meaning of the words.

Or...stop talking about this stuff at work?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
02-06-2016, 11:24 AM
(02-06-2016 11:21 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  It looks like the meaning is pretty clear. Tell him to go read the original untranslated texts and then he can start arguing about the meaning of the words.

Or...stop talking about this stuff at work?
bingo.
02-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Homographs?

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examp...raphs.html

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
02-06-2016, 12:06 PM
(02-06-2016 10:41 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 10:22 AM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  The title of this thread was the exact words that a religious co-worker said to me when I pointed out this contradiction between Genesis 22:1 and
regarding the God tempting people.

Words can have different meanings but that's not a sufficient response. They would need to explain what the different meanings are.

And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said to him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempts he any man:

It has to do, I think with the actual Greek words.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
(02-06-2016 12:06 PM)SkepticalDaniel Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 10:41 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Words can have different meanings but that's not a sufficient response. They would need to explain what the different meanings are.

It has to do, I think with the actual Greek words.

Fine. They still have to explain what the different definitions were and why the translators weren't "inspired" to maintain the intended meaning instead of creating an apparent contradiction.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
02-06-2016, 05:33 PM
We used to call them homonyms back in grade school.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post