Words of God regarding wisdom.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: Words of God regarding wisdom.
(31-01-2013 12:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  Also, I never said you needed my belief. Ask anyone here if I've ever tried preaching. And the truth is not something I need to cope with, I'm just glad I stopped being blind to it.

"I'm just glad I stopped being blind to it" is preaching -- not that I had accused you of it before, but I clearly am now because you are. It's not wrong to preach... I do it all the time... but you should at least be aware of it if you're going to claim that you're not.

If the truth is that there is no God, and the lack of God makes you lonely, then the truth would be something you'd need to cope with. I had no idea what specific part of atheism made you depressed so I guessed the most likely suspect, but nonetheless -- loneliness is something you don't need God to cure. Or, at least, it's not something *I* need God to cure.

I hate the "atheism is depressing" argument because even a win is a non-win. It's an argument over whether a belief in God is desirable, not over whether it's true. But still, atheism is not depressing for all of us.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2013, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 12:24 PM by Vera.)
(31-01-2013 12:13 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  "I'm just glad I stopped being blind to it" is preaching -- not that I had accused you of it before, but I clearly am now because you are. It's not wrong to preach... I do it all the time... but you should at least be aware of it if you're going to claim that you're not.

How exactly is this preaching? Did I say, I'm happy, I wish you all could be just as happy as I am? It was just a response to your somewhat condescending remark that you wished I could cope with the truh (not saying I was offended, that's how I used to talk, as well).

Quote:If the truth is that there is no God, and the lack of God makes you lonely, then the truth would be something you'd need to cope with.

That's a big 'if' though, isn't? The biggest actually.

Quote:it's not something *I* need God to cure.

I was talking about myself though, wasn't I?

Quote:I hate the "atheism is depressing" argument because even a win is a non-win. It's an argument over whether a belief in God is desirable, not over whether it's true. But still, atheism is not depressing for all of us.
I never used such an argument. Just mentioned that I was depressed (quoting other contributing factors as well). Nor did I ever say it was depressing to anyone other than myself.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
31-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Okay, but as long as you go back to your usual, cynical self, I don't care what you believe. Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
31-01-2013, 12:56 PM
So exactly what transpired in that second?
You suddenly felt uplifted by jesus or something?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-01-2013, 01:13 PM
(31-01-2013 12:49 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Okay, but as long as you go back to your usual, cynical self, I don't care what you believe. Big Grin
I didn't know that was how I was coming off. I must have been even unhappier than I realised.

(31-01-2013 12:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  So exactly what transpired in that second?
Dom, I didn't say it literally happened in a second (wasn't timing it Tongue ), was just making a point that losing your faith and gaining it back are two very different processes.

31-01-2013, 01:15 PM
(31-01-2013 01:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 12:49 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Okay, but as long as you go back to your usual, cynical self, I don't care what you believe. Big Grin
I didn't know that was how I was coming off. I must have been even unhappier than I realised.

(31-01-2013 12:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  So exactly what transpired in that second?
Dom, I didn't say it literally happened in a second (wasn't timing it Tongue ), was just making a point that losing your faith and gaining it back are two very different processes.

ok, so it happened in 5 seconds or 30 minutes or 10 hours or 5 days - but what is it that happened?
Did the holy ghost fill you with light and warmth or what?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Vera how exactly do you follow your faith? is homosexuality wrong? is abortion bad? or do you just try to follow the better parts of christianity?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
31-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey Vera, you are not going to leave us, right??

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-01-2013, 01:26 PM
(31-01-2013 01:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  
Well, I mean, you were having to translate trashy vampire erotica novels, so it's understandable. Speaking of which, are you still going to keep doing that?

[Image: giphy.gif]
31-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Dom, you're asking me to describe in words something that is beyond words. It just happened. I thought I didn't believe and then I realised I'd been fooling myself and I'd probably never stopped believing. Don't think I can explain it better than this. Not right now anyway.

KVron, that would depend on you guys, I guess.

Xin, racism, homophobia, any type of discrimination is something I have no patience for. Why would that change? I'm still the same person.

Tartarus, I still gotta make money, right? Tongue Plus, my next book's not gonna be about vampires. Not even fantasy (for the very first time ever, and I have translated about 20 books so far). Chick lit. Not sure if I'm gonna enjoy it more (hate chick lit).

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post