Words of God regarding wisdom.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2013, 01:27 AM
RE: Words of God regarding wisdom.
(29-01-2013 08:44 PM)Richard Stuckmeyer Wrote:  
(29-01-2013 04:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope, we don't delete threads. That would be altering history and we don't dare risk ripping the fabric of space/time. Drinking Beverage
Okay, so be it. Thumbsup
not to mention that altering history is not something freethinking people do... we can leave that to those who enjoy their quaint fantisies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2013, 08:45 AM
There are quite a few passages in Proverbs that are wrong [wisdom, phylosophy]. There are quite a few passages in Job that are wrong [scientifically].

What is the common denominator? Men writing these things in an uneducated time, unaware of the natural world around them, in a superstitious culture where the unknown was the result of "a god",...are why you get the garbage you find in these instances.

That a person arrogantly insists that they must be true and infallible is of no consequence. People have believed wrong things since the dawn of man.
30-01-2013, 08:47 AM
(30-01-2013 08:45 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  People have believed wrong things since the dawn down of man.
That's because we fell from His grace.

And got a nasty boo-boo.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
30-01-2013, 09:37 AM
I am no more afraid of the "Word of God" than I am popping up on Santa's naughty list... Tongue

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 4 users Like k37713's post
30-01-2013, 09:40 AM
(30-01-2013 08:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 08:45 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  People have believed wrong things since the dawn down of man.

And got a nasty boo-boo.
Some of us lost a rib in the process but damned if the x-rays we keep taking show that everything is kosher. Can't trust science I guess? I mean, they do want 10% of our money as a tithe, so they must be up to someth...oh wait. Science doesn't ask for your money? Well then, who does?

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
30-01-2013, 09:57 AM
(30-01-2013 08:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  

Grace? I can point out many places in the bible that are far from "grace", . . . and places where the bible god acted with immorality, . . . and even with a LACK of "omniscience", just like any other human.
30-01-2013, 10:01 AM
(30-01-2013 09:57 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Grace? I can point out many places in the bible that are far from "grace", . . . and places where the bible god acted with immorality, . . . and even with a LACK of "omniscience", just like any other human.
God is not like "any other human". And words like immorality mean nothing when applied to Him. He said that we shouldn't judge others, what makes you think we can judge Him?

30-01-2013, 10:07 AM
(30-01-2013 10:01 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 09:57 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Grace? I can point out many places in the bible that are far from "grace", . . . and places where the bible god acted with immorality, . . . and even with a LACK of "omniscience", just like any other human.
God is not like "any other human". And words like immorality mean nothing when applied to Him. He said that we shouldn't judge others, what makes you think we can judge Him?

We don't judge an ACTUAL entity called "god". That would be absurd. What we CAN do is judge the character in a book as to whether or not it comports to the qualities give it. The bible god does not. It can be shown as NOT omniscient, . . . NOT having the 1 Corinthians "love" characteristics, . . . being so fascinated and desiring of blood and death, . . . being absolutely wrong about natural processes, . . . etc.

It makes perfect sense when you realize that the bible god character was a work of fiction from men who were ignorant of reality.
30-01-2013, 10:11 AM
(30-01-2013 10:07 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  It makes perfect sense when you realize that the bible god character was a work of fiction from men who were ignorant of reality.
No, it makes imperfect sense (or rather, senselessness). Because if He were, indeed, just a character, there wouldn't be anything perfect in the universe. And that would be a universe I wouldn't want to live in.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-01-2013, 10:15 AM
(30-01-2013 10:11 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 10:07 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  It makes perfect sense when you realize that the bible god character was a work of fiction from men who were ignorant of reality.
No, it makes imperfect sense (or rather, senselessness). Because if He were, indeed, just a character, there wouldn't be anything perfect in the universe. And that would be a universe I wouldn't want to live in.

WTAF? Honey, that is exactly the universe you, and all of us, do live in.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ancient wisdom docskeptic 7 211 12-03-2014 02:01 PM
Last Post: docskeptic
  Original Words for 'Hell' guitar_nut 2 152 22-11-2013 12:08 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Conan O'Brien's words on death tonight. Dark Light 6 451 30-05-2013 08:48 AM
Last Post: Matthew Laramore