Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 02:35 AM
Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!
I am going to start of with th (mis)use of, "So, ..." as the opening word of almost every sentence for some people. So (!), it is just a bad habit that I have heard some very intelligent people fall foul of. Even reporters from the BBC, previously a bastion of Good English. I recorded ten, "So"s in twelve sentences (all of them redundant) from one uni profesor when explaining a research finding.

Equally annoying was the use of, "Absolutely!" at the start of sentences, either in place of a simple, "Yes" or being absolutely redundant. This seems to be going out of fashion, thankfully.

I accept that language has to change (unless it is French) and neologisms have to be incorporated, but misuses that mangle meaning are manifestly amiss.

Signed,
Duty pedant

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
21-08-2016, 03:05 AM
RE: Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!
I literally hate the fact that they changed the meaning of literally to include meaning "not literally" because the general public was misusing the term so much that they changed the meaning to include it's misused use.

I understand that English (or any other language) is a dynamic language and that meanings of words change over time but changing the meaning of a word because people misuse it is just wrong, and lazy.

I am also annoyed that I learned of this fact through TV:

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
21-08-2016, 03:51 AM
Where do I start? Big Grin

Should of instead of should've. Dribble instead if drivel. Avocado's $1 each, two pizza's for $14, and the 1980's.

Weather or not to go. It's in there house. There going to Hawaii. The car has it's windows open. We fixed the breaks on the car.

—There's literally [sic] hundreds more, and I see the above types of errors every day in our media.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 6 users Like SYZ's post
21-08-2016, 03:59 AM
All of them. Angry

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
21-08-2016, 04:03 AM
http://writingexplained.org/then-vs-than-difference
then - time
than - comparison

It seems to be something to do with the way USAmericans pronounce those words. Like can and can't it is difficult to hear the difference, especially to the untrained ear.

Brits & Irish aren't better and have our own problems, but the USA is far more influential. They altered the meaning of 'great' during the 1960s from simply the opposite of small to include a nuance such as good or wonderful. (Children in 1960s USA used it as a buzz word like 'wicked' was used for a while to mean good or wonderful). Now Great Britain sounds pretentious to those who don't understand the literal meaning of great. The USA also seems to have altered the meaning of liberalism. I see myself as both conservative and liberal in my politics. That would make little sense to USAmericans and Many Brits today. Liberal has become a dirty word in the USA and it has nothing to do with people USAmericans call "liberals".
[+] 4 users Like Zeff's post
21-08-2016, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 10:38 AM by Gloucester.)
Unsapien, I share your feelings about the changing meanings of words.

Sophisticated:

Modern definitions -

1. having, revealing, or involving a great deal of worldly experience and knowledge of fashion and culture.
synonyms: worldly, worldly-wise, experienced, enlightened, cosmopolitan
2.(of a machine, system, or technique) developed to a high degree of complexity.

Original definitions from Ogilvie's Comprehensive English Dictionary of 1885* -

adulterated, not pure, not genuine, corupted by something spurious or foreign.

Well, that last definition does perhaps better describe a certain kind of person who consider themselves "sophisticated" rather better then the first I have to admit!

* I have a rather fragile copy amongst my collection of dictionaries. Looking at it I thnk it formed the basis for the more famous Concise Oxford English Dictionary of 1911 that became the standard. Some entries are worded identically.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
21-08-2016, 06:18 AM
"....who consider themselves "sophisticated" rather better then [THAN] the first ...." !!! Aaaaaargh!!! :-)
Interestingly, Gloucester seems to be in the UK. What did I say about that possibly being due to USAmerican pronunciation?!
[+] 1 user Likes Zeff's post
21-08-2016, 06:25 AM
(21-08-2016 05:26 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Sophisticated:

Modern definitions -

1. having, revealing, or involving a great deal of worldly experience and knowledge of fashion and culture.
synonyms: worldly, worldly-wise, experienced, enlightened, cosmopolitan
2.(of a machine, system, or technique) developed to a high degree of complexity.

Original definitions from Ogilvie's Dictionary of 1885* -

adulterated, not pure, not genuine, corupted by something spurious or foreign.

It's interesting that the actual meaning hasn't really changed, just the view of whether that is a positive or a negative.

As far as usages that deserve to be killed with fire I nominate "prolly" and "anyhoo". Neither are words and just make the speaker/writer sound ignorant.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-08-2016, 06:28 AM
(21-08-2016 06:18 AM)Zeff Wrote:  "....who consider themselves "sophisticated" rather better then [THAN] the first ...." !!! Aaaaaargh!!! :-)
Interestingly, Gloucester seems to be in the UK. What did I say about that possibly being due to USAmerican pronunciation?!

Whats you're problem? Evil_monster Laugh out load

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
21-08-2016, 06:35 AM
I don't understand the hate for literally. When people misuse that word, they're doing so in a hyperbolic way. People exaggerate all the time. See what I did there? "all the time."

Quote:No, cactus, it's not literally all the time!!!! You're such a dumbass. Stop misusing the term "all the time;" you'll confuse people!

I do hate "should of," though. That one gets under my skin, literally.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?