Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 10:08 AM
RE: Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!
(21-08-2016 10:03 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Add to that "off" and "of"

... which you used incorrectly in your first sentence of this thread.

Smartass

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
21-08-2016, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 10:15 AM by Gloucester.)
(21-08-2016 09:55 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 08:21 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  All of the 'of phrases' bother me, should of, kind of, must of,would of, could of, etc..
You have a problem with "kind of"?

"So, you know, it's kind off, like, I mean, an itch in the ear, this kind of misuse - absolutely! It has this kind of affect on my mood, get's me real twitchy, like. Y'know?"

Frequency of use is part of the Sad effect. Y'know?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
21-08-2016, 10:19 AM
(21-08-2016 06:18 AM)Zeff Wrote:  "....who consider themselves "sophisticated" rather better then [THAN] the first ...." !!! Aaaaaargh!!! :-)
Interestingly, Gloucester seems to be in the UK. What did I say about that possibly being due to USAmerican pronunciation?!

I strongly advise, for the sake of your blood pressure, that you never, ever read any posts written by Muffsy (a Kiwi). He has been nudged, prodded and cajoled so often about his then/than errors that he now does it on purpose.

Fuckin' Muffsy.

(21-08-2016 08:13 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Don't know if this counts but i hate when people say "Sooo... yeah!" in their youtube videos. It basically means they've ran out of shit to talk about.

Something I've been noticing recently from YouTubers: "I'm just going to go ahead and..."

... as opposed to what? Going behind?

Angry

(21-08-2016 08:21 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  ...
All of the 'of phrases' bother me, should of, kind of, must of,would of, could of, etc..

"Kinda" and "sorta" used to bother me until I read Dennett. He uses those in a specific sense e.g. the computer "sorta" thinks.

I kinda think that this is a creative new use of a meme.

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-08-2016, 10:26 AM
(21-08-2016 10:08 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 10:03 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Add to that "off" and "of"

... which you used incorrectly in your first sentence of this thread.

Smartass

I know, I know! I have a sight problem dead centre of vision and decided finger trouble using on-screen keyboards. Can't easily tell a from s unless I expand the screen and I also tend to hit the key next door. Or mis a key altogether with double letters. I always "proofread" but sometimes "see what I expect" rather than what is there. (Managed not to put "... actually..." in that last sentence!)

No probs if I use the USB keyboard on this tablet for long screeds of stuff.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
21-08-2016, 10:27 AM
(21-08-2016 10:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  "Kinda" and "sorta" used to bother me until I read Dennett. He uses those in a specific sense e.g. the computer "sorta" thinks.

Yes

Depending on the tone of my post I will use 'kinda, sorta, so...yeah, and now and then throw in an 'ain't'.

'Prolly' pushes me over the edge. I absolutely hate that, nearly as much as the use of 'tard' added to any word to make it derogatory.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
21-08-2016, 10:33 AM
(21-08-2016 10:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 10:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  "Kinda" and "sorta" used to bother me until I read Dennett. He uses those in a specific sense e.g. the computer "sorta" thinks.

Yes

Depending on the tone of my post I will use 'kinda, sorta, so...yeah, and now and then throw in an 'ain't'.

'Prolly' pushes me over the edge. I absolutely hate that, nearly as much as the use of 'tard' added to any word to make it derogatory.
I look on: sorta, wanna, kinda, gotta, etc, as American "lazy" dialect English making its way to the written word, via books or affectation. Bound to happen, but annoying when it gets exported (especially to England, harumph!)

21-08-2016, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 10:57 AM by cactus.)
(21-08-2016 10:09 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 09:55 AM)cactus Wrote:  You have a problem with "kind of"?

"So, you know, it's kind off, like, I mean, an itch in the ear, this kind of misuse - absolutely! It has this kind of affect on my mood, get's me real twitchy, like. Y'know?"

Frequency of use is part of the Sad effect. Y'know?

So I'm no grammartard or anything, but I guess like yeah its kinda annoying.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
21-08-2016, 10:57 AM
vs. versus vs .

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-08-2016, 01:09 PM
(21-08-2016 10:33 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 10:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Depending on the tone of my post I will use 'kinda, sorta, so...yeah, and now and then throw in an 'ain't'.

I look on: sorta, wanna, kinda, gotta, etc, as American "lazy" dialect English making its way to the written word, via books or affectation. Bound to happen, but annoying when it gets exported (especially to England, harumph!)

Okay Mr. Grumpy. Tongue

As I said, I use those words based on the tone of what I am saying. Often I use them to take a little sting out of sarcasm. Sorta a way to soften things for the easily offended. Angel

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-08-2016, 01:18 PM
(21-08-2016 01:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 10:33 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I look on: sorta, wanna, kinda, gotta, etc, as American "lazy" dialect English making its way to the written word, via books or affectation. Bound to happen, but annoying when it gets exported (especially to England, harumph!)

Okay Mr. Grumpy. Tongue

As I said, I use those words based on the tone of what I am saying. Often I use them to take a little sting out of sarcasm. Sorta a way to soften things for the easily offended. Angel

Your use is a sort of affectation, creating an effect by concious use of a style. Common and normal in many literary forms but can migrate into wider use via the page.

But, hey, language can't stagnate!

[My major college research project was in the future of English as a global language. Which, of course, included research into its history. Right Heinz 57 mongrel it is too!]

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post