Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 01:41 PM
RE: Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!
(21-08-2016 10:33 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I look on: sorta, wanna, kinda, gotta, etc, as American "lazy" dialect English making its way to the written word, via books or affectation. Bound to happen, but annoying when it gets exported (especially to England, harumph!)

America is a big country, we have lotsa different accents and dialects. Tongue
I grew up in the Midwest and people in California would tease me about my accent, which I didn't know I had.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
21-08-2016, 02:01 PM
(21-08-2016 01:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 10:33 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I look on: sorta, wanna, kinda, gotta, etc, as American "lazy" dialect English making its way to the written word, via books or affectation. Bound to happen, but annoying when it gets exported (especially to England, harumph!)

I grew up in the Midwest and people in California would tease me about my accent, which I didn't know I had.

I am sure you do have an accent...I can hear it in my family members who are in Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota. Mine is less pronounced since I had more southern influence than my siblings did. My Midwestern accent was neutralized along the way. I can lapse into a convincing southern accent...but it's pretty generic since there are dozens of southern accents and drawls based on specific area.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-08-2016, 02:09 PM
(21-08-2016 01:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  

Yup, regional dialects abound in most countries, got a book of poems from the Forest of Dean, only a few miles away, takes time to get the sound and context to translate to even "standard" Gloucesterese. Strange people live in the Forest!

But, I forgot the Internet. Books, films and TV programmes spread styles internationally, the Internet accelerates that process. So, "common" local dialect words get spread in tbe process. There was a short time, decades ago, when, "y'all" even spread to the UK, briefly, via some films of The South being popular.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
21-08-2016, 02:23 PM
1..... "My bad"

I always want to ask, "Do you have a receipt for your bad? Did you purchase your bad at Walmart"

2....... In news or sports reporting, "It is the first time since"....... THEN IT WAS NOT THE FIRST FUCKING TIME! I makes even less sense when they use it in periods of moths or a couple years.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Tesco supermarket self-service check-outs when you swipe your loyalty card, "Your Tesco loyalty points add up."

I would be right pissed off if they subtracted!

21-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Not annoying but I do find it funny at the cashier with the credit debit machine it says "Swipe Card"....... And I think, "How can a steal something that already belongs to me?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-08-2016, 03:00 PM
(21-08-2016 02:50 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Not annoying but I do find it funny at the cashier with the credit debit machine it says "Swipe Card"....... And I think, "How can a steal something that already belongs to me?

Ah, the glory of English where one word has six meanings and six words mean the same thing.

Bill the Bard and hundreds of other poets and wordsmiths have revelled in bending it about!

[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
21-08-2016, 03:04 PM
(21-08-2016 10:33 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 10:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Depending on the tone of my post I will use 'kinda, sorta, so...yeah, and now and then throw in an 'ain't'.

'Prolly' pushes me over the edge. I absolutely hate that, nearly as much as the use of 'tard' added to any word to make it derogatory.
I look on: sorta, wanna, kinda, gotta, etc, as American "lazy" dialect English making its way to the written word, via books or affectation. Bound to happen, but annoying when it gets exported (especially to England, harumph!)

I've known them to be called softening words by people of the linguist community.

It's used to not sound so direct in tone though I've heard it considered a potential workplace problem for being seen as someone who can lead when they're used too much.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-08-2016, 03:14 PM
(21-08-2016 03:04 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

I've known them to be called softening words by people of the linguist community.

It's used to not sound so direct in tone though I've heard it considered a potential workplace problem for being seen as someone who can lead when they're used too much.

I never use them in business communication...only places like here and other social media. In the work environment I do my best to stick to proper English...I am even careful to say 'thank you' and not 'thanks' in business correspondence.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
21-08-2016, 03:38 PM
(21-08-2016 03:04 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Yes, I can see the idea behind "softening words".

"Mmm, it's kinda hard to tell", especially with a drawl.

But then there is the "What are ya, some kinda goddam nut!?" type of usage.

Smile