Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: Words: phrases & misuses that bug you!
(21-08-2016 09:55 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 08:21 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  All of the 'of phrases' bother me, should of, kind of, must of,would of, could of, etc..
You have a problem with "kind of"?

Well, kind of!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
22-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Realator instead of Realtor

Jewlery instead of Jewelry

Full-blooded instead of purebred (Unless the dog needs a transfusion it should be full-blooded. Dodgy )

Spayded is not a word...it's spayed, which is the past tense of spay.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
22-08-2016, 07:58 PM
(22-08-2016 06:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Realator instead of Realtor

Full-blooded instead of purebred (Unless the dog needs a transfusion it should be full-blooded. Dodgy )

...unless one just turned over the compost pile with one's pet in it. Gasp
22-08-2016, 08:01 PM
(22-08-2016 07:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(22-08-2016 06:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Realator instead of Realtor

...unless one just turned over the compost pile with one's pet in it. Gasp

Then it's spaded. Rolleyes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-08-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm a grammar nut when I'm writing, but I don't get too bothered by the errors of others. The only time I'll say something is to someone committing those mistakes while they're insulting someone else's intelligence. Outside of that, I focus on the meaning rather than the grammar.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-08-2016, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2016 08:53 PM by Fireball.)
(22-08-2016 08:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-08-2016 07:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  ...unless one just turned over the compost pile with one's pet in it. Gasp

Then it's spaded. Rolleyes

Laugh out load I know.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-08-2016, 02:58 AM
In Victoria we have major arterial roads which are known as a "freeway".

Which we have to pay a toll to travel on. Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
23-08-2016, 03:14 AM
(21-08-2016 03:51 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Where do I start? Big Grin

Should of instead of should've. Dribble instead if drivel. Avocado's $1 each, two pizza's for $14, and the 1980's.

Weather or not to go. It's in there house. There going to Hawaii. The car has it's windows open. We fixed the breaks on the car.

—There's literally [sic] hundreds more, and I see the above types of errors every day in our media.

I find "should of" particularly funny. When i learned english it was very clear to me how this phrase is intended to work, i never had any idea somemone could get it wrong. It took the age of internet (the late 90s for me) and contact to english native speakers to have half of the people do it wrong and have me facepalming about it to this day.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
23-08-2016, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 05:46 AM by Gloucester.)
(23-08-2016 03:14 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 03:51 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Where do I start? Big Grin

Should of instead of should've. Dribble instead if drivel. Avocado's $1 each, two pizza's for $14, and the 1980's.

Weather or not to go. It's in there house. There going to Hawaii. The car has it's windows open. We fixed the breaks on the car.

—There's literally [sic] hundreds more, and I see the above types of errors every day in our media.

I find "should of" particularly funny. When i learned english it was very clear to me how this phrase is intended to work, i never had any idea somemone could get it wrong. It took the age of internet (the late 90s for me) and contact to English native speakers to have half of the people do it wrong and have me facepalming about it to this day.
There, fixed it!

Big Grin

And, I wondered, should "facepalm" and its derivatives have a hyphen? Or, as above, be written as it appears in the emoji?

Why do I ask these stoopid questions? Facepalm

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
23-08-2016, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 01:27 PM by Grasshopper.)
"Should of" and its relatives annoy me, too, but I can see where they come from. "Should have" (the correct form) is abbreviated "should've", which sounds like "should of". People who don't understand the underlying grammar write it the way it sounds.

Some other pet peeves:

"If we don't score, we're going to loose the game!" No, you're going to lose the game.

"I seen it." No, you saw it. I have seen this one used several times right here on this forum by people who should know better.

"The tenants of a religion" -- I think you mean tenets.

Interestingly, I went to see a performance of Shakespeare's King Lear the other day, and read through the play a few weeks earlier, and there are all kinds of things in there that would be considered bad grammar today. It wasn't necessarily correct grammar back then either, but I don't think the rules were well established yet.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post