Words that need to be redefined

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: Words that need to be redefined
Re-purposing words would be fine if you could erase people's memories of the previous definitions. Since you can't, this recycling only serves to exacerbate the confusion you seek to eliminate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2013, 08:20 AM
(19-02-2013 06:49 PM)KVron Wrote:  I'm sure it's not only in English were this ambiguities occur. My main language is Spanish and it's the same thing.

I wasn't trying to limit it to English; I was just using it as an example.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
20-02-2013, 04:47 PM
(19-02-2013 10:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 09:27 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Good list KVron !

- Nothing
- Soul
- Freedom
- Moral
- Faith
- Truth

Here's some others,

Marriage - apparently no longer necessarily between loving, opposite gender adults. No longer a commitment. No longer a ''social contract''. No longer about ''family''. Now it's arguably available to everyone and anyone without any nasty, bigoted legal discrimination.

Edit to add sub-category for the subjectively defined word "Gender" which is also becoming more and more elective.

Existence - If you redefine the words ''something'' and ''nothing'' then the entire epistemology of existential reality needs to get a LOT MORE fuzzy. Not sure if that makes it harder or easier to assert the existence of ''something'' (Probably easier. A bit like multiverses, quantum foam, dark energy etc etc.)

Human - We are apparently less certain now about when a (temporary) human being begins to exist. Has that person always existed in one form or another? If the universe and everything in it has always existed, then independent, conscious existence is illusory. A human brain and the concept of ''self'' is no more or less than the tiny sum of chemical elements that never cease to exist.

Atheism - I've been waiting a long time to change the definition of the word atheism so that it is correctly referred to as a religion. If a US Federal Court judge can describe it as a religion and atheists like Alan de Botton can have atheist churches, then lets just get it over and done with and call it what it is.
If I had a religion I would call it the cult of reason.

I gave your post a ''like'' because the canon of reason is something which can be appealed to by theist and atheist alike.
Atheists do have a reason (or reasons) for being atheists. Atheism is not some neutral tabula rasa.
And theist also have reasons for their views.

I would like to see government census forms include atheism as a menu option on the question about a persons religion. The term ''no religion'' or ''not stated'' doesnt describe the typical atheist IMHO.
20-02-2013, 05:16 PM
(20-02-2013 04:47 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 10:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If I had a religion I would call it the cult of reason.

I gave your post a ''like'' because the canon of reason is something which can be appealed to by theist and atheist alike.
Atheists do have a reason (or reasons) for being atheists. Atheism is not some neutral tabula rasa.

I would like to see government census forms include atheism as a menu option on the question about a persons religion. The term ''no religion'' or ''not stated'' doesnt describe the typical atheist IMHO.

"No religion" describes it perfectly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-02-2013, 07:30 PM
It can be pretty hard to make the definition of a word stick sometimes. Some words are just expressive, ever-changing and not ultimate.

'Nice' used to mean stupid or ignorant. So, that word is fun to say to some people Tongue . (You are so nice, and everything you do is NICE! *smiles* .)
20-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Quote:Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range
of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,
because there will be no words in which to express it. Every concept
that can ever be needed, will be expressed by exactly one word, with its
meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings rubbed out and
forgotten.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
20-02-2013, 09:16 PM
(20-02-2013 07:30 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It can be pretty hard to make the definition of a word stick sometimes. Some words are just expressive, ever-changing and not ultimate.

'Nice' used to mean stupid or ignorant. So, that word is fun to say to some people Tongue . (You are so nice, and everything you do is NICE! *smiles* .)
In the southern part of the US, it's often expressed as "How nice... sweety."
20-02-2013, 10:33 PM
(20-02-2013 05:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 04:47 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I gave your post a ''like'' because the canon of reason is something which can be appealed to by theist and atheist alike.

"No religion" describes it perfectly.

It seems to me that if you really had NO religion you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about religion.
Consider

As an atheist you are either certain that God doesnt exist or you believe God doesnt exist.

If it's certainty on the matter, that implies you have a contrary reason or alternative theory (atheology).

And if your position is merely a belief that God doesnt exist then you are simply the flip-side of a theistic coin.

Heads (God belief - yes)
Tails (God belief - No)

The ''no-religion'' option is only applicable to the undecided/uncommitted agnostic looking at a spinning coin up in the air.

[Image: coin_spins.gif]
20-02-2013, 11:40 PM
I think everyone has a position in respect to theism.

Pantheist - everything is god-like,
Polytheist - many gods,
Monotheist - one God.
Atheist - zero gods.
Agnostic - cant make up my mind about the number of gods.
Nihilist - dont care. I am the only god that matters.

And I think everyone, apart from the absolute nihilist, falls somewhere on Richard Dawkins' spectrum/scale of theistic probability from 1 to 7.
20-02-2013, 11:43 PM
"It seems to me that if you really had NO religion you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about religion.~"

If that's true, then: "It seems to me that if you really had NO cancer you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about cancer."

Or perhaps more apropos: "It seems to me that if you really had NO homosexual desires you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about homosexual desires."

And.. "It seems to me that if you really had NO abortion you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about abortion."

And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO drug addiction you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about drug addiction."

And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO abused children you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about abused children."

And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO hatred in your heart you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about hatred."

And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO racism you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about racism."

And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO bigotry you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about bigotry."

And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO gambling problem you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about gambling problems."

And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO cogent argument you wouldn't find it hard to be strongly opinionated about your cognitive dissonance."