Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2013, 11:47 PM
RE: Words that need to be redefined
Add one...

Strong atheist - gods cannot exist
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2013 12:06 AM by Lion IRC.)
(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "It seems to me that if you really had NO religion you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about religion.~"

If that's true, then: "It seems to me that if you really had NO cancer you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about cancer."

People who have cancer care a Censored lot more about finding a cure than people who dont.

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Or perhaps more apropos: "It seems to me that if you really had NO homosexual desires you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about homosexual desires."

I have no homosexual desires and am not interested in hearing from people who do. Frankly, I wish they would keep their sex life private.

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And.. "It seems to me that if you really had NO abortion you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about abortion."

Wanna know the one characteristic all pro-choice, opinionated supporters of abortion have in common? Every single one of them has already been born.

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO drug addiction you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about drug addiction."

I never met a drug addict who strongly wanted to remain a drug addict. IOW - they all agree with me.

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO abused children you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about abused children."

Agreed. But since 300 million children are abused each year, I am going to remain strongly opinionated about the matter.

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO hatred in your heart you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about hatred."

Hatred is self-destructive. Its like drinking poison and expecting the OTHER person to die.

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO racism you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about racism."

Agreed. But as long as you have strongly opinionated rascists describing each other as ''black'' or ''white'' there is plenty for opponents of racism to talk about

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO bigotry you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about bigotry."

Do you have any bigoted beliefs you wish to discuss?

(20-02-2013 11:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  And... "It seems to me that if you really had NO gambling problem you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about gambling problems."

Any money you have to waste gambling should be given to the people who cant afford food.
Find all posts by this user
21-02-2013, 12:25 AM
(19-02-2013 09:27 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 12:18 PM)KVron Wrote:  I think there are several words which definition is outdated or even incorrect, since
their definitions were given many years or centuries ago and there've been many
scientific discoveries since then. Others have changed their meanings....

Good list KVron !

- Nothing
- Soul
- Freedom
- Moral
- Faith
- Truth

Here's some others,

Marriage - apparently no longer necessarily between loving, opposite gender adults. No longer a commitment. No longer a ''social contract''. No longer about ''family''. Now it's arguably available to everyone and anyone without any nasty, bigoted legal discrimination.
Apparently marriage is now about loving adults... that's also a new definition apparently because nothing in the origins and history of marriage is of making that any concept of the union. This idea of marriage being a loving relationship was fleshed out and became legitimate in society in the 19th century but was irrelevant socially prior. It really wasn't grounded that way until after the Victorian era.. so let's think of how we defined our terms by our thoughts of the world from 1900-1959.

I don't think words need to be redefined..I think people need to be taught that words will always have various contexts. They have different meanings via their origins and get formed in many ways in society.

What does "describing the typical atheist" even mean? It doesn't matter... does saying Hindu, Muslim, Christian/Catholic or anything on a list describe the typical person of that religion or tell what their particular view of that religion is... no.. and being an atheist is the same as "no religion" as is agnostic. If you are not considering yourself of a religion or in positive belief of a religious thought, you are of "no religion" whether or not you have serious thoughts on the matter or just never knew of religion.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-02-2013, 07:57 PM
(21-02-2013 12:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...What does "describing the typical atheist" even mean? It doesn't matter... does saying Hindu, Muslim, Christian/Catholic or anything on a list describe the typical person of that religion or tell what their particular view of that religion is...

I think there are certain 'theological distinctives' which can be used to generalize the typical atheist, Hindu, Christian, etc.
Do you think we need to change the definition of the word ''typical''?
21-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood my post...

I'm not interested in your opinions on those topics. I was demonstrating, via analogy, that one can hold strong opinions on a subject without being a member/victim/participant/etc. in that subject. And you confirmed my point.
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
21-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Sex, in both senses of the word.
Gender.
Life.
Nature/Natural.
God.
Theology.

21-02-2013, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2013 08:21 PM by Lion IRC.)
I was having a ''thingy'' with an atheist type person on another forum about Lawrence Krauss' appearance on an Australian TV panel discussion this week. (Mr Krauss' asserts that we need to change the definition of the word ''nothing''.) And atheist dude was going all...you dont understand the defintion of the word nothing etc etc.

He - ''...no one is changing the definition of anything. What Krauss was trying to point out, and those who don't want to understand can't comprehend, is that "nothing" is relative depending on what you mean by "something".

Me - You're right, I cant comprehend because I dont want to understand the new changed definition where something which used to be called nothing isnt relatively not nothing anymore depending on what you mean by something.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3687812.htm
[Image: mqdefault.jpg]
21-02-2013, 08:47 PM
(20-02-2013 10:33 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 05:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  "No religion" describes it perfectly.

It seems to me that if you really had NO religion you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about religion.
Consider

As an atheist you are either certain that God doesnt exist or you believe God doesnt exist.

If it's certainty on the matter, that implies you have a contrary reason or alternative theory (atheology).

And if your position is merely a belief that God doesnt exist then you are simply the flip-side of a theistic coin.

Heads (God belief - yes)
Tails (God belief - No)

The ''no-religion'' option is only applicable to the undecided/uncommitted agnostic looking at a spinning coin up in the air.

[Image: coin_spins.gif]

No.
There is no evidence for the existence of any gods, therefore I am not religious.

There is no evidence for unicorns.

There is no evidence for fairies.

There is no evidence for sasquatch.

There is no evidence for astrology.

There is no evidence for homeopathy.

I don't define my feelings by my non-beliefs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
21-02-2013, 11:21 PM
(21-02-2013 08:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 10:33 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  It seems to me that if you really had NO religion you would find it hard to be strongly opinionated about religion.
Consider

As an atheist you are either certain that God doesnt exist or you believe God doesnt exist.

If it's certainty on the matter, that implies you have a contrary reason or alternative theory (atheology).

And if your position is merely a belief that God doesnt exist then you are simply the flip-side of a theistic coin.

Heads (God belief - yes)
Tails (God belief - No)

The ''no-religion'' option is only applicable to the undecided/uncommitted agnostic looking at a spinning coin up in the air.

[Image: coin_spins.gif]

No.
There is no evidence for the existence of any gods, therefore I am not religious.

You are not qualified to instruct every single living human on the planet that the evidence they find persuasive and suggestive of theism/afterlife/souls isnt evidence.
Evidence that you dont happen to find persuasive is and can be persuasive evidence to others.

(21-02-2013 08:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't define my feelings by my non-beliefs.

You are either;

a) 100% certain that God does not exist anywhere in this or any other space/time dimension.
or
b) you hold a BELIEF that God does not exist. In which case, you are no different to those you mock for the belief they hold.

And I find your belief that God doesnt exist requires much more faith than any exercised by the average garden variety monotheist.
22-02-2013, 05:23 AM
Re: RE: Words that need to be redefined
(21-02-2013 07:57 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 12:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...What does "describing the typical atheist" even mean? It doesn't matter... does saying Hindu, Muslim, Christian/Catholic or anything on a list describe the typical person of that religion or tell what their particular view of that religion is...

I think there are certain 'theological distinctives' which can be used to generalize the typical atheist, Hindu, Christian, etc.
Do you think we need to change the definition of the word ''typical''?

Well then I find your view if the typical atheist greatly disturbed if you think they are different from the typical "no religion" poll answerer.

The only difference is an awareness/understanding/willingness of the term atheist. You can make no other claim without using assumptions.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson