Words to be Avoided in Polite Conversation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2016, 06:48 AM
RE: Words to be Avoided in Polite Conversation
(24-09-2016 06:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 06:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think people ought to suck it up and not be so absurdly sensitive.

I am, in fact, physically handicapped, i.e. lame. If someone uses the word lame as in 'lamebrain' or 'lame excuse', why should I take offense?

I prefer "gimp" or " cripple"......

Big Grin

My oldest sister calls me 'the gimp' and one of my brothers makes crips and bloods jokes. Laugh out load

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2016, 09:28 AM
In general, I try to speak the language of those I wish to communicate with.

Unless I find it offensive. Tongue Some things really are just offensive, or really, really stupid.

When in diverse company like here, I just don't worry about it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
24-09-2016, 09:42 AM
The word retard and any contrived use of it drives me nuts. It's an instant reaction that goes back to my teens when I volunteered with a class of kids at my school. They were all around ten years old and most had Downs Syndrome though some had other issues. Some of the other kids at school only saw these kids as their disability and didn't bother to view them as people. I still have a strong gut reaction to the word. I drilled the concept into my kids' head when they were growing up. I instantly lose respect when I hear someone use it, especially when it is someone that I assumed was reasonably intelligent.

As for swear words...I grew up around people who swore all the time. The words themselves affect me very little. The tone of voice, facial expression, and body language that are present when a swear word is used have more meaning to me.

For myself...I swear like a drunken sailor and probably always will. I am mindful to tone my speech down at work and when around people I don't know.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
24-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I think I've mentioned here before that my dad was a good replica (and fan) of Archie Bunker. He could both intentionally and unintentionally offend with little effort.

If you don't know who Archie Bunker is, look up 'All In The Family' on Youtube.
24-09-2016, 10:16 AM
(24-09-2016 10:06 AM)pablo Wrote:  I think I've mentioned here before that my dad was a good replica (and fan) of Archie Bunker. He could both intentionally and unintentionally offend with little effort.

If you don't know who Archie Bunker is, look up 'All In The Family' on Youtube.

What kinda meathead don't know Archie???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Their just sounds.

Its peoples interactions and the (percieved) intent behind them that causes issues.

I can smile and playfully call someone a cunt. I can also raise my voice and growl and snarl the word at them. Either times im not actually thinking of a womens vagina, even though that is what the definition of the word means.

When I tell someone to fuck off, I dont mean that they literally have intercourse whilst moving away from me.

If your walking down the street and you overhear someone calling someone else a "spaz" or a "retard", that does not mean they are referencing anybodies children/family/friends in particular. Its a loose definition like the others ive listed above.

If you know someones position on aspects of life, of course its respectful to adhere to using certain words. If you don't and they get offended, that's their problem.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
25-09-2016, 03:29 AM
(24-09-2016 06:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 06:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think people ought to suck it up and not be so absurdly sensitive.

I am, in fact, physically handicapped, i.e. lame. If someone uses the word lame as in 'lamebrain' or 'lame excuse', why should I take offense?

I prefer "gimp" or " cripple"......

Big Grin

Let me guess, you also enjoy kicking puppies?
25-09-2016, 03:40 AM
(24-09-2016 10:18 AM)bemore Wrote:  Their just sounds.

Its peoples interactions and the (percieved) intent behind them that causes issues.

I can smile and playfully call someone a cunt. I can also raise my voice and growl and snarl the word at them. Either times im not actually thinking of a womens vagina, even though that is what the definition of the word means.

When I tell someone to fuck off, I dont mean that they literally have intercourse whilst moving away from me.

If your walking down the street and you overhear someone calling someone else a "spaz" or a "retard", that does not mean they are referencing anybodies children/family/friends in particular. Its a loose definition like the others ive listed above.

If you know someones position on aspects of life, of course its respectful to adhere to using certain words. If you don't and they get offended, that's their problem.

Oh ok, so if you are a white dude in a bar full of American Negros, there's no problem using the word "nigger" as it's just a loose definition? If they get offended, that's their problem? I would imagine that it would become yours pretty quickly unless things have changed since I was last there? I haven't been there for quite some time, so attitudes may have changed. I'm an Australian btw.
25-09-2016, 04:44 AM
(25-09-2016 03:40 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  
(24-09-2016 10:18 AM)bemore Wrote:  Their just sounds.

Oh ok, so if you are a white dude in a bar full of American Negros, there's no problem using the word "nigger" as it's just a loose definition? If they get offended, that's their problem? I would imagine that it would become yours pretty quickly unless things have changed since I was last there? I haven't been there for quite some time, so attitudes may have changed. I'm an Australian btw.

I'm not American, I'm british.

Nigger is an interesting word and example to use. It is taboo for white people to use it as it is seen as a racist and derogatory comment, yet it appears for some cultural circles in the black community that it is perfectly fine to use it as towards each other as a word meaning "family/bretheren"

It falls upon common sense and the last example I gave in my last post, meaning if you know where people stand then it is respectful to adhere to that. It would be obvious that using the word nigger, in a place full of black people and you yourself not being black, may possibly caus offence.

If I went into a room full of people with mental health issues and started banding about the words spaz, mong and retard. I know it would possibly caus offense. However if I was in a room of mixed people, of all colours and ethnicities, ages and backgrounds then it would not appear to be so offensive.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
25-09-2016, 08:08 AM
I'm sorry, you've lost me. If you are in a mixed group which do you say wouldn't be offensive, nigger or retard?