Words to be Avoided in Polite Conversation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2016, 08:57 AM
RE: Words to be Avoided in Polite Conversation
I can see your sensitivity to the 'tard appellation in fucktard, but I see it differently. It implies behavior and not condition.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2016, 09:41 AM
(25-09-2016 03:29 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  
(24-09-2016 06:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I prefer "gimp" or " cripple"......

Big Grin

Let me guess, you also enjoy kicking puppies?

Only if they're in my parking spot without a gimp tag.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
25-09-2016, 10:08 AM
poopyhead

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-09-2016, 10:28 AM
So no one can say anything because it might some how offend someone somewhere somehow? Now that is really fucking lame ... Oops I said fuck and lame, I guess I'm evil and deserve to die.... NOT !!! Stop getting butt hurt and work on changing attitude through education which is NOT what you have been doing so far all I can see is SPECIAL PLEADING. I don't like unkindness towards any human being but I do not regard restrictions on the English language and personal expression as being any way forward, infact its more likely backward. I am sorry for your difficulties as I have similar ones with one of my kids but name policing is only going to help your own personal butt hurt and as important as you feel that is it is it does not change anything and nor should it
25-09-2016, 01:07 PM
I am unsure why this is in the Personal Issues and Support section o.O

But on-topic.
I personally don't care if I offend someone somewhere somehow.
If I would make sure to not offend people with the way I speak I would not be allowed to:
* Talk friendly / smile while talking because in Egypt that would be a nono for me and men would feel offended.
* Talk about me liking bacon and preferring pork because Jews and Muslims may be offended by that.
* Not say "cunt" because women may be offended.
* Not talk about birth control and abortion rights because Christians may be offended
* Not talk about politics because people with a different opinion in politics may be offended
* Not say any "swear words" like "fuck" "asshole" "dick" .... because people who don't value rich and direct speech may be offended

Sure in a professional setting, I may take care that I avoid certain topics or words. But that is because otherwise I may lose my job, not because I want to.
In ANY private setting, I will not avoid this. Someone who cannot look beyond the phrasing, and rather berates me about what words I use than carry on with a conversation, is not worth being in my social circle anyway Tongue
When I say a strong word then that is on purpose and for a reason. Replacing a very strong and satisfying "fuck!" with "fudge!" is ridiculous. "Gosh darn it!" "Dang" are you a "motherfudger"?

Here is a thing that I found a while ago and ever time someone talks about how certain words shall not be said and how people may be offended, I link it every time Smile

cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
03-10-2016, 05:01 AM
(23-09-2016 04:29 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  
Is it too PC now to think that certain mere words can offend and should be avoided to placate the minorities?

I don't think so. Some people think that words don't hurt people and we should not be dictated to by anyone else trying to tell us what we can and cannot say. I agree that our freedom of speech should not be restrained, unless it can be shown that others have suffered some sort of harm.

Examples of disability slurs that offend me are retard, fucktard, and lame. They harm me because my feelings are hurt as I have kids that have mental and physical disabilities. To say that retard means slow and lame means feeble doesn't make me feel any better, especially when the intent is obvious. These are words that have been used to vilify people with intellectual disabilities.

Swear Words
I think that it is still possible to be offended by swear words.
For example the word "cunt" is probably one of the last taboo words in our language and is considered by most as a vulgar word and to be avoided in polite discussion. The gender opposite term "dick" is also offensive, though for a strange reason, much less offensive.

I have heard that some people use that word freely and it is not offensive, rather they use it in an affectionate manner or as a descriptive word where members of their societal group aren't offended and outsiders should show respect for its usage.

Is it best to avoid these words in polite conversation? I think so, as other words are available that cause less offense and are more communicative.

Are these "magic" words and don't really matter as they don't cause any real harm? A single letter change may alter their meaning anyway and they are just letters grouped together, so what's the big deal?

I would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

NOTE: Spoiler'd to shorten post.

Firefighter, its not that we should scorn certain touchy words. Everyone has their own idea of what is and isn't acceptable. Instead, we should scorn unjustified negative speech, but never ban it. (Because Freedom of Speech)

For example, if someone is acting like a cunt, then they deserve to be called a cunt. It's not a shot at women because the word refers to a woman's genitals. Its a shot at the person who said or did something the name-caller considered stupid.

However, if the person does not have a legitimate reason for calling someone a cunt, then the name-caller this time is in the wrong. Unjustified name calling should be socially scorned, but the name-caller under U.S. Law is protected by the first amendment. Hopefully and eventually, if the person is scorned long and hard enough, they will come out and admit they were being a dick. But if they didn't, then we classify them as a piece of shit and continue to scorn them until they finally do or don't.

Also personally, I would rather live in a world where people were honest about their feelings towards eachother even if it meant allowing for rudeness. If someone thinks I'm a dick, I don't want him/her pretending that they don't think that because hiding thoughts is dishonest to me. And vice-versa. I wanna be honest and tell my boss that he's a fucking dick versus being polite and having to call him, "Sir." (Military folk)

Forget all about being polite and adopt an open-thought, open-speech policy, says I. A world that respects openess and honesty more than politeness is worth living.