Work Qualm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Work Qualm
I currently have a small work qualm. I do work with a consultant who clams to be xian despite not going to any church. He has talked about his love of the words of Jesus despite not worshiping and also only gives a few selections of the supposed Jesus sayings.
I would love to talk with him about killing people who don't believe in him and also people who he is talking to will see him return. Yet I have refrained. I also think of the thought of giving him some talk of the deliberate sayings of his god.
Has anyone else experienced this and/or done some good things? I would also like to use some of the many sayings of Loftus, Barker, Hitchens etc.

Greetings carbon-based bipeds. - Arthur Clarke
The stars died so you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
Mathematics is the language of nature. - Lawrence Krauss
I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness. - John Muir
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 10:12 PM
RE: Work Qualm
(24-06-2013 10:10 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  I currently have a small work qualm. I do work with a consultant who clams to be xian despite not going to any church. He has talked about his love of the words of Jesus despite not worshiping and also only gives a few selections of the supposed Jesus sayings.
I would love to talk with him about killing people who don't believe in him and also people who he is talking to will see him return. Yet I have refrained. I also think of the thought of giving him some talk of the deliberate sayings of his god.
Has anyone else experienced this and/or done some good things? I would also like to use some of the many sayings of Loftus, Barker, Hitchens etc.

Why?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Or have him read my book. Smartass

Or watch the video.

Not that your coworker is likely to do either, anyway.

An acquaintance of mine sent the video to her cousin who is studying in a seminary, and he is now very challenged and conflicted.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2013, 10:17 PM
(24-06-2013 10:10 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  I currently have a small work qualm. I do work with a consultant who clams to be xian despite not going to any church. He has talked about his love of the words of Jesus despite not worshiping and also only gives a few selections of the supposed Jesus sayings.

Recently I worked with a catholic woman (she was relief staff while our regular staff is out on her "good work" to south america or some stupid crap like that) Anyway. She was going on and on about how she is a good catholic woman and how she knows whats best at work and will report anyone she feels is being improper because thats her right under god. How "his" morals give her higher insight and all this crap, and talking about how she was being "persecuted" at another house by an "Alternative lifestyle non-believer" because of her beliefs. How dare someone with those morals judge her.

Anyway at this point I was done listening and I told her

"I'm sorry you feel like you were being persecuted. To be honest with you I am an atheist and I feel its highly inappropriate to discuss this sort of thing at work."

I was so very polite when, trust me, she really didnt deserve it. It shut her up fairly quickly. Now she sticks to bitching about letting teenagers watching tv where they have sex and how teaching that is bad...but thats about it.

I am going to repeat what I said to you, because I feel it holds true here.

"I feel I should let you know I'm an atheist, and I feel its highly inappropriate to discuss this sort of thing at work"
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
25-06-2013, 05:50 AM
What does their going or not going to religious services have to do with anything?