Work advice please.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Work advice please.
Hey peeps........need a bit of advice if you dont mind.......first I will outline the problem.

I have had a bit of a bad run of health over the last year....picking up injuries at work that has had me take time off work. The longest one was around 3-4 months ago when I went off with depression for two months......I had witnessed a work colleauge get his arm trapped and crushed in a hydraulic hoist and then the week after me and a different crew were involved in quite a serious road traffic accident. This was just the icing on the cake for me along with some personal family issues.

So I went back to work on a "phased return to work" where I did a few days a week on light duties and gradually built up until I was back to normal..... after that time was up I was put back on my normal round and because my job entails me jogging around 10+ miles a day I have pushed myself hard to get back into the swing of things and I have mashed up the cartilage in my left knee.....but I pushed through the pain till I could hardly walk.......so I asked work to put me back onto light duties to give me chance to recover. My boss hates my guts because I stand up for myself and dont take any shit off him that isnt work related (he is very bad tempered) and he said there isnt anything they can put me on.....which I know is a lie. So because I am aware of the amount of sick time I have had off I put in for some holidays to let me recover. After my holidays were up (I had 7 days off) my knee still wasnt any better so I aksed for more time off on holiday......I was refused and the reason was that because I was Ill I had to go down as sick.......which obviously I didnt want to happen.

So today I went to the doctors and got a sick note and told him I was suitable for work as long as I could do light duties......he wrote this all down on my sick note and said I needed a minimum of a month, so I rang work up and explained the situation to my supervisor who said she would ask the boss and ring me back. She rang me back within minutes and said that there was no light duties available and that I had to stay off sick till I had got fully better.......so I asked her if she will be putting temporary agency staff on light duties and she said that the choice wasnt hers.

So basicly im being victimised by my boss.....who could easily put me on light duties and refuses to (I work for my local goverment authority).

So this is what I am doing about it..........I have asked for his decision to be sent to me in writing outlining the reasons why I cant be put on light duties. I plan on writing a letter to go into my record explaining the situation that I am aware of the high amount of sick leave I have had and that I have tried my best not to cost the goverment any more money than is neccesary by using my holidays but being refused........I also plan on sending a copy of this to my doctor to go into my record there as well.

So if anybody has any advice on what else I could do to handle this situation I would be most appreciative.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2011, 07:43 AM
RE: Work advice please.
Well let me first say that you are a trooper. I have not seen such determination to get shit done in a long time. Secondly. your job sounds fucked up and I hope your mental state become more stable soon.

from what you've described I can only suggest one thing. Go over you boses head. Find someone who is higher up and plead you case to them. I've had to do it with one of my former jobs and it worked out. Sorry I can't be of more use.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
08-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Are you a union member? If not then I would suggest signing up and speaking to them, the unions have a loud voice in the public sector I think.

Also see if any local media are interested in the story. They might run a story like that in the current climate. With such a focus on benefit cheats it would make a good story to write about someone trying to work but being stopped from doing so. Nothing makes the Government run scared like bad publicity!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Thnks Hamata........I think I will arrange a meeting with a director or if that isnt possible then send a letter detailing my concerns and ask for it to be recorded on record.

Hughsie Im not part of the union no.......with respect to them they are useless in defending people at my work place, case after case after case has atested to this. Although one of the reps is a friend of mine so I will ask her for a little bit of advice on the matter........with regards in going to the press........being a civil servant I have to be carefull on how I represent my employees.....even writing this on here if seen could potentially get me into trouble (its happened before)......it is an option but I will use it as a last resort.

Thanks for the replys Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Good luck with it mate.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Ya got two options.

One. Get a new job.

Two. Get a shrink. You've got PTSD. America makes allowances for this kinda thing; you might have the same kind of system, so you might need to work the system.

Some might question the morality of such an assessment - I'll tell it like it is - law made to be broke, system made to be worked. I don't break no sensible law; and systems basically don't work - that's why they're systems.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
(08-11-2011 05:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ya got two options.

One. Get a new job.

Two. Get a shrink. You've got PTSD. America makes allowances for this kinda thing; you might have the same kind of system, so you might need to work the system.

Some might question the morality of such an assessment - I'll tell it like it is - law made to be broke, system made to be worked. I don't break no sensible law; and systems basically don't work - that's why they're systems.

Well legally depression in the UK is seen as a disability........so really by rights everytime im ill I should just lie and say im depressed....then they cant touch me....but me lying kind of fucks with my morals Confused

I think you are correct with your diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder.....the doctors wanted to treat me with anti-depressants which I refused because I only see them as masking the problem and to be honest I dont want to mess with my serotonin levels when really I dont have to. Ive asked to see a counsellor but there is big waiting lists and I cant afford to see one privatley.

As for getting a new job.........that really isnt a possibilty because where I am located there is no jobs (ive looked lol) caus of this stupid economic ponzi scheme. Last time my work advertised for staff there was 500 appicants for 5 positions......thats how bad it is round my way Sad

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2011 07:09 PM by houseofcantor.)
(08-11-2011 06:05 PM)bemore Wrote:  Well legally depression in the UK is seen as a disability........so really by rights everytime im ill I should just lie and say im depressed....then they cant touch me....but me lying kind of fucks with my morals Confused
There a fucking conundrum. Tell you what. I'll bill ya. Tell 'em you conferred with an expert in the States and you got both...

Where does this variable had witnessed a work colleauge get his arm trapped and crushed in a hydraulic hoist and then the week after me and a different crew were involved in quite a serious road traffic accident. fit in the equation? Is it just the hoist? I mean, can we factor out any terms, or do you gotta be "official ward of the state," like cantor? I heard somebody mouthing off earlier - there's already will with half an underground operating over here.

I'm thinking you British Untouchable... we've made some improvements in the Colonies. Big Grin

(and yeah, don't take them fucking pills. I'm "supposed" to take pills - they gimme any shit, I quote scripture at em. Physician heal thyself... can't say like "like" meth (quantity is maintenance dose) - can say I might hafta find some other chemical re-normalizer when I go back East - cause cantor never could do "straight." - the meth comment is statement "Big Pharma" big fuckjob - gotta pile o research there too)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
(08-11-2011 07:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There a fucking conundrum. Tell you what. I'll bill ya. Tell 'em you conferred with an expert in the States and you got both...

Where does this variable had witnessed a work colleauge get his arm trapped and crushed in a hydraulic hoist and then the week after me and a different crew were involved in quite a serious road traffic accident. fit in the equation? Is it just the hoist? I mean, can we factor out any terms, or do you gotta be "official ward of the state," like cantor?

Im not sure I know what you mean??? Do you mean do I need a proffesional to diagnose me with depression to prove to work I am/was/recovering depressed???

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.